INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Auto Import Not Working...  (Read 288 times)

eryn

• Recent member
Auto Import Not Working...
« on: November 19, 2022, 09:09:05 am »

I've read the numerous posts about this and about if you have a NAS that doesn't support events you can manually configure things etc.

Here's my issue. I observe this on Windows running the latest MC30 and linux (running 29). I have auto-import setup to monitor the drive. The drive IS a network drive that I have mapped (V:).

Here's the thing, Foobar2k which I'm trying to move away from and use MC for works just fine - if I add music to the drive (the same drive I use with MC) it automatically sees the files and adds them 'instantly.'

I have never observed this behavior with MC. And when I manually kick off the import, on windows it takes a few minutes (clicked while writing this and it took 5min 32s on a very beefy windows machine to add....20 new files  :-\) to refresh. On linux...it runs...forever (my library is >100K audio files) - it seems as if it is doing a full scan/import again?  I've tried to get this to work over and over on MC but to no avail but the fact that FB2k doesn't have any issues with new files being added to the share, leads me to think that whatever file monitoring is needed, should be in place.

Are there any suggestions on how I might get this to work? I cannot use a local drive - my collection is too large and is shared for various purposes (and this has worked for years for me). I'm hoping there's some post about a flag or some such that i've just missed. Any insight would be appreciated.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Auto Import Not Working...
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2022, 11:17:24 am »

Take a look at the Windows Defender thread on this board.  Don't run any other antivirus.

zybex

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2022, 11:30:24 am »

Did you enable the "Run auto-import in background" option?

eryn

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2022, 08:20:43 pm »

Thank you for the replies.

Yes, I have 'Run auto-import in background' set.

I found a few threads re: Windows Defender, which is the only AV I use, and added the various JRiver, appdata, and media folders, files, processes and file types to the exclusion list. And rebooted. I copied a new album folder to the library share.

I start MC30 and wait a couple minutes but going to the smart playlist for 'imported today' (which when I manually kicked off the auto import earlier, updated), and I never see the auto import run or the files get imported.
I turned on logging fwiw, and restarted MC30 and I do see evidence that the auto-import is running :

0008407: 24832: Import: CSynchronizeDatabase::StartBackgroundProcessing: Starting background import
0008407: 24832: Import: CSynchronizeDatabase::ImportAutoImport: Start
0008407: 24832: Import: CSynchronizeDatabase::ImportAutoImport: Stopping current auto-import processing
0008407: 24832: Import: CSynchronizeDatabase::ImportAutoImport: Creating job
0008407: 24832: Import: CSynchronizeDatabase::ImportAutoImport: Running job
0008407: 24832: Import: CSynchronizeDatabase::Import: Start
0008407: 24832: Import: CSynchronizeDatabase::Import: Creating processor
0008407: 24832: Import: CSynchronizeDatabase::Import: Process

and a little later...

0008407: 13080: Import: Process: Starting import (Media Center 30.0.30 (64-bit))
0008408: 13080: Import: GetNewFiles: Start
0008416: 13080: Import: GetNewFiles: Searching: V:\music\

After waiting in total >5min, I use Tools->import->run auto import now, i see the scanning happen in the 'importing media' window, it then says it is 'Adding file x of 1650'. Incidentally, i think this is a separate issue as earlier today when i was prompted to post this initial message, it was also 'of 1650'.... 

That aside though, one that completed, I did see the new album that i copied over show up in the 'Imported today' smart playlist when i refreshed it.
I do see the new files (flacs) in the log file as getting added as well.

eryn

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2022, 09:26:48 pm »

Changing nothing from my above post but leaving MC30 open and walking away for about an hour...I see a newly copied album imported. So it appears that the auto-import is working. I'll try to get a better sense of how long it takes but for now, it appears to be working after some time (based on the time stamps it appears that it would be >8 min ).

leezer3

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2022, 09:07:50 am »

This makes me wonder if you've got a bad file somewhere the import is getting hung up on.

Assuming you know what should be there, look for something missing.
If you run import manually, it should also give a list of skipped files at the end.

zybex

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2022, 09:32:05 am »

Add a folder in your C: drive to AutoImport settings. Then try adding some files to it and see if they show up after a few seconds in MC, or if they also take a random amount of time.

- If they show up quickly then maybe your NAS doesn't support the type of monitoring events that MC expects, and the files are only found on a periodic background import (full folder scan).

- If they don't show up quickly then MC doesn't support Filesystem Monitoring at all. I haven't tested so I'm not sure if this is the case, but from other threads, I believe MC is supposed to support it for "instant import".

It's also possible that MC only supports filesystem monitoring for local volumes, not network ones. MC team could clarify this feature.
Pages: [1]   Go Up