INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Speed bumps on a new client install..  (Read 276 times)

antenna

• Galactic Citizen
Speed bumps on a new client install..
« on: December 18, 2022, 06:32:31 pm »

OK, I have a MC Server that feeds a MC Client in my media center.  That all works most excellently.

This evening I wanted to install another MC Client on my Linux Mint laptop.

The install went well.  My registration code was accepted, and i found myself in the familiar MC UI.

The first speed bump I was faced with ...

I saw in the lower left corner of the MC screen a countdown counter,  giving me 30 seconds or so before it started to actively interact with my laptop, i.e., auto-load media files.

Whoa, hold on there, I don't want that.  But how do I tell it to stop?

Sooo i go to the Tools>Options menu and desperately try to find the option to stop the auto-load.  Meanwhile, that countdown counter is ticking away.  Reminds me of the self-destruct sequence on Star Trek.  OK, I digress...

To be honest, I did not even notice if there was a "stop the auto-load" option on that countdown timer window.  All I saw was that I had 30-something seconds to stop it.  imo, not a great first impression.   

Suggestion:   Maybe have a [more] prominent ability to stop the auto-load on an install?  Or maybe even take a different approach and ask if an auto-load is wanted?

=========
Vinyl: Shure V15VxMR, Shure VN5MR stylus, VPI Scout turntable
Shellac: Shure M91, Shure N75-3 stylus,  Dual 1218 turntable

Apt Holman preamp (updated), Benchmark Media ADC-1, Benchmark Media DAC-1, Carver TFM-45 power amp (updated), Original Acoustic Research AR-9 speakers (LF surrounds replaced), Sennheiser HD590 headphones

antenna

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Speed bumps on a new client install..
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2022, 06:43:39 pm »

Second speed bump...

I want to link the new MC Client to my MC Server.

When I go to File>Library and select the MC server I want to link to, I am greeted with the Username/Password prompt for that server.

So I go over to the server, and dig down into the Tools>Options>Media Network section.  When I click on the Authentication section, I can see the username I need, but the password is all asterisks.

OK, at this point, I understand the security aspect involved here, and that config menus should not leak passwords.

Fortunately, I keep all such passwords in a secure place here, and I was able to complete the linkage.

All is cool here.

But, in hindsight, I don't remember MC hinting at me to save that library userid/ password.  If it did when I created it (a long time ago for me) kudos.  If it didn't, maybe another suggestion.

=========

Apt Holman preamp (updated), Benchmark Media ADC-1, Benchmark Media DAC-1, Carver TFM-45 power amp (updated), Original Acoustic Research AR-9 speakers (LF surrounds replaced), Sennheiser HD590 headphones

antenna

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Speed bumps on a new client install..
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2022, 07:12:35 pm »

Forgot to add...

MC Client installed on Linux Mint was 30.0.40

MC Server is the current MC 29.....
=========

Pages: [1]   Go Up