INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help: unexpected shut-down and zone switch not working  (Read 581 times)

macdonjh

• Citizen of the Universe
Help: unexpected shut-down and zone switch not working
« on: December 23, 2022, 12:34:10 pm »

I've suddenly experienced some weirdness with JRiver:

My Zone Switch isn't working properly.  It used to work, so I know at one time it was set up properly.  I didn't make any changes to the Zone Switch specifically, so I don't know why it isn't working.  It's supposed to switch output devices depending on what type of media I am playing.  If [Media type] is Video the signal is supposed to be routed to my pre-pro.  If [Media type] is Audio the signal is supposed to be routed to a USB-S/PDIF converter.  That used to happen automatically the way I wanted it to, but now it doesn't.  Drivers for both devices are loaded and appear/ are recognized by both JRiver and Windows 11.

The other recent development: when I realized my Zone Switch wasn't doing what I wanted it to I would:
    - Stop my file file from playing
    - Go to Tools -> Options -> Audio -> Output Device
But as soon as I clicked the Tools button in the tool bar Media Center would exit.  When I re-opened MC and clicked Tools I could then change my output device and start playing my file again.  But why does MC shut down in the first place?  It didn't use to do that.

I have tried restarting my computer, but that didn't help.  I have not tried backing up my Library and then reinstalling MC as I hope there is another explanation and solution.  Does anyone have any ideas?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Help: unexpected shut-down and zone switch not working
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2022, 02:44:00 pm »

Did you try power cycling everything?

macdonjh

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2022, 09:00:08 am »

I did.  It still happens.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2022, 09:02:03 am »

The shutdown may be a bad driver.

Try disconnecting each device and testing with just one.

macdonjh

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2022, 06:49:29 am »

The shutdown may be a bad driver.

Try disconnecting each device and testing with just one.

Thank you, I'll try it.

macdonjh

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2022, 03:56:04 pm »

For some reason, MC no longer mysteriously shuts down when I try to open Tools -> Options.  Glad of that.

I thought about how to disconnect my sources one at a time.  I've only got two sources: my pre-pro and my USB/ S/PDIF converter.  But my USB/ S/PDIF converter is connected to my pre-pro, so if I disconnect my pre-pro I won't be able to hear my converter.  Sheesh.  I don't know how to test my Zone Switch...

HPBEME

• MC Beta Team
  • Hoisted by his own petard - Lock him up!
Re: Help: unexpected shut-down and zone switch not working [Solved]
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2022, 07:39:50 pm »

I have not tried backing up my Library and then reinstalling MC as I hope there is another explanation and solution.  Does anyone have any ideas?
If you create a new backup (with the zone switch not working) and reinstall MC, it's a virtual certainty the behavior will be identical to what it is now after the reinstall.

Instead, restore from an existing backup (from amongst the ones MC automatically makes) from a date/time when you know zone switch was still working - you only need to tick the box for Restore Settings.  You can restore everything by ticking the Restore Library and Playlists checkbox as well, but I don't think that is necessary.  Bear in mind though, if you restore the entire library and you've made a lot of tagging updates between the "zones working" date and where you are today, you will lose all of that.  That said, there are some ways to alleviate some of the tagging losses, but I won't bore you with those details unless it turns out you need that guidance.

Oh yeah… You might want to remove [solved] from the subject line, since at the moment your issues are only partially solved. Including that in the title will likely lead users users to skip reading your post.  I think what I suggested above will solve your zone switch issue, but then again, it might not.

macdonjh

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2022, 09:36:27 am »

Thanks for the suggestion.  I didn't remember you could restore just the settings.  As you said, I'm sure there are tagging changes I've made which I'd never remember.

Weird about [SOLVED] appearing in the title.  I didn't add it.

HPBEME

• MC Beta Team
  • Hoisted by his own petard - Lock him up!
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2023, 02:00:54 pm »

Thanks for the suggestion.  I didn't remember you could restore just the settings.
So macdonjh, did you ever run Restore Settings (only) using an earlier MC auto backup? And if so, is your zone switch now working again?

macdonjh

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2023, 11:03:50 am »

My Zone Switch still isn't working properly.  I have been too lazy to try restoring settings from an old Library.  It's on my list of things to do and I will post here when I've tried it.  It makes sense and I hope it works.

macdonjh

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2023, 10:48:36 am »

My Zone Switch still isn't working properly.  I have been too lazy to try restoring settings from an old Library.  It's on my list of things to do and I will post here when I've tried it.  It makes sense and I hope it works.

HPBEME, I finally got up and tried your suggestion.  It seems to have worked just like you expected.  I backed-up my current Library.  Then I Restored a copy from October 2022 (settings only) and tested my Zone Switch.  It seems to work again.  I also checked the Tags of a few files I imported and retagged earlier this week and the Tags are intact.  I'll know for sure after I've switched between audio and video files a few times. 

I still wish I knew why my Zone Switch went flaky in the first place.

After all that, I performed another Back-up so I have the functioning Settings and current Tags all in one Library.  I also cleaned out my Library Back Ups folder while I was at it. 

Thank you for reminding me of the Restore Settings function. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up