INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRemote performs erratically  (Read 353 times)

This2ShallPass

• World Citizen
  • "I picked a helluva day to install MC!"
JRemote performs erratically
« on: December 29, 2022, 10:35:38 am »

I use JRiver for music only, with a Id NUC and 4 separate playback locations in the house. I use JRemote on my iPhone to play music on these sources while doing different things, and in the basement, I have trouble. Often, the playback stutters before it gets going (with clicks & pops eerily similar to the start of a vinyl record), then it's riddled with cutouts/pauses, and is generally unsatisfactory. Eventually, it'll stop playing completely, and often (but not always) with a "something went wrong with playback."

This started long enough ago that I've since upgraded my phone, improved wifi performance in the house, upgraded to MC30, and this problem persists through all of it.

Wifi throughput is plenty sufficient (300-500 Mbps), I use a mesh wifi router, and the problem is unique to the basement stereo. I've made no hardware changes to the stereo. I've tried lowering the audio quality on JRemote, and toggling "Transcode Audio" to see if it would make a difference (it didn't).

I'm flummoxed.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: JRemote performs erratically
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2022, 06:30:14 pm »

That sounds like a network problem.

This2ShallPass

• World Citizen
  • "I picked a helluva day to install MC!"
Re: JRemote performs erratically
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2022, 09:07:44 am »

Thanks for reading!

To elaborate on the network, the only part of my house where this problem exists is in the basement, when I use JRemote to play through the HT system there. Wifi strength & speed are more than adequate. As a way of testing the HT system, I've disabled the mesh satellite in the basement, and no change in the results. I've also tried switching the A/V receiver's connection from ethernet to wifi, again with no changes. That led me to believe that the issue may very well be the receiver.

Then I tried simply playing through my iPhone (instead of using the iPhone to control playback through the HT system), and got the error there too! That put me back on the "sounds like a network problem" trail for a solution. Anyone using JRemote as a playback remote control on a mesh network? Do you/Did you ever have problems? My network setup is over 5 years old, but this problem only arose this year.
Pages: [1]   Go Up