INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Movies to Be Seen!  (Read 632 times)

dnavratil

• Junior Woodchuck
Movies to Be Seen!
« on: December 31, 2022, 09:49:30 am »

David here, Is it possible to manually input movies without actually having the movie?  I want a database of movies I want to get someday! Tks for any help, DN

zybex

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Movies to Be Seen!
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2023, 04:13:00 am »

Hi David, Happy new year.

You can do that with a placeholder video file - just find a small/empty videoclip and create copies of it with the movie names you want (like "Dead Calm (1989).avi"), and put them all in some folder that you add to AutoImport. Then you can import them and tag them as any other file, do Get Movie/TV Info, add a poster, etc.

A better option using a bit more disk space is to download and import the actual movie trailers instead of using the same placeholder clip, and tag them with MovieSubType=Trailer plus any other tagging needed for your views/smartlists. The advantage is that you can then double-click these files in MC and see the actual trailer :)

There are several ways to download trailers:
https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/hdtrailers-download-free-movie-trailers

It should even be possible to directly import a movie trailer URL from youtube (which wouldn't use any disk storage), but that doesn't work very well with MC. Also, youtube direct URLs have an expiration timestamp, so they might stop working.

dnavratil

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2023, 07:47:18 am »

Zybex, Thank you very much for your insights!  I really like that idea of a small place holder file, it would work perfectly!  Most of the movies I want to see are from the early 1900's up to the 1960's so I'm sure the Trailer idea would not work well for me!  Thanks again, David N.

lepa

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2023, 08:15:25 am »

You could import e.g. poster image and set media sub type to movie. MCUtils can create dummy files using tmdb id but setting MCUtils up requires a little work and MCWS needs to be enabled

macdonjh

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2023, 08:51:44 pm »

Tangential question: I didn't notice there was a Movie Sub-type tag.  How does a file tagged as Movie -> Trailer display in the Viewer?  I know I could simply try this out, but...
Pages: [1]   Go Up