INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Transfer from MC to iPod, how to convert 24/192 FLAC to 16/44 ALAC?  (Read 208 times)

jammalammer

• Recent member

I'm on MC 27. Please let me know if this issue is fixed in the newest version and I'll upgrade.

EDIT: I think I fixed this, but if there's anything else to know, please chime in. It appears that the sample rate is under the "DSP" settings and not the "Encoder" settings. That seems a bit weird to me, b/c DSP is usually EQ, Volume, and things like that. But at least now it does appear to convert 96kHz or 192kHz songs to 44.1kHz which play back fine on the iPod.

My library is 100% FLAC. I want to copy a lot of these tracks to my old iPod (7th gen "Classic", which has been upgraded to 1TB with an iFlash Quad), but iPod will not play 24/192 correctly. So I'd like to transfer as 16/44. How do I do this?

I tried going to the iPod in MC, select Options, select Encoder: ALAC, and Encoder Settings, but it says that this encoder is not configurable. And I do not want to choose AIFF because it uses tons of space, nor MP3 due to bad quality. Nor do I want to create duplicates of my files on my hard drive -- I want to transfer the files to the iPod, automatically convert them, and be done.

What I'm seeing is that when I transfer e.g. a 24/192 song to the iPod, when it plays back on the iPod it's at something like 1/4 the speed it's supposed to be.

Help?

Armand

HPBEME

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Hoisted by his own petard - Lock him up!
Re: Transfer from MC to iPod, how to convert 24/192 FLAC to 16/44 ALAC?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2023, 12:19:29 pm »

There are two different places where encoder settings are applied - where each is used depends on what the task is:

Options/Encoder/Audio: File Conversion/Encoder Settings     these encoder settings are used when you right-click on a file(s) and select Convert Format from the context menu (used to convert files "in-place")
Options/Handheld/Conversion/Audio/Encoder Settings     these encoder settings are used when you convert files as you move/copy the converted files to another device

You may want to look at this thread for additional information:  https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,134745.msg933293.html#msg933293
It explains some behavior you may want to be aware of when doing conversion to another device.
Pages: [1]   Go Up