INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can MC Linux do HDR video passthrough on integrated AMD graphics?  (Read 959 times)

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe

Can MC Linux do HDR video passthrough on integrated AMD graphics?
For example if I had a 5600G APU, running Ubuntu, and JRVR was configured to passthrough HDR. It's not acknowledging that the TV is HDR capable. The same hardware with Windows MC30 has no problem with this.

Hendrik

• Administrator
Re: Can MC Linux do HDR video passthrough on integrated AMD graphics?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2023, 03:40:19 am »

HDR passthrough on Linux is a big nightmare and maybe works if your desktop is setup for passthrough. There is no capability to toggle it, and setting up your desktop for passthrough is up to you. (And the options will not indicate if its available right now.)

As far as I have heard, its practically impossible with X11 and maybe works with Wayland - which has other issues.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2023, 09:38:01 am »

Instead of "native passthrough", you could pass your GPU to a Windows VM if you are a) comfortable deploying VMs headless or 2) buy a secondary GPU.

Hendrik, would you be interested in contributing to the Linux HDR hackfest? Maybe we can crowdfund or JRiver can cover a sabbatical. HDMI 2.1 + ARM + Linux (HDR), the confluence has begun, would love to see JRiver in the fold.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2023, 03:56:17 am »

That is all work on a level far below applications, on a driver and compositor level that needs to happen. I'm really not in that area at all.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2023, 04:08:09 pm »

HDR passthrough on Linux is a big nightmare and maybe works if your desktop is setup for passthrough. There is no capability to toggle it, and setting up your desktop for passthrough is up to you. (And the options will not indicate if its available right now.)

As far as I have heard, its practically impossible with X11 and maybe works with Wayland - which has other issues.

Thanks for the info

eve

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2023, 04:58:26 pm »

Instead of "native passthrough", you could pass your GPU to a Windows VM if you are a) comfortable deploying VMs headless or 2) buy a secondary GPU.

Hendrik, would you be interested in contributing to the Linux HDR hackfest? Maybe we can crowdfund or JRiver can cover a sabbatical. HDMI 2.1 + ARM + Linux (HDR), the confluence has begun, would love to see JRiver in the fold.

Yeah so that NanoPi you linked isn't going to do what you want on Linux just yet.

It's *capable* of it, and on Android I believe everything works with the chip it uses but you're not slapping your own linux distro on it and getting 4k120hz HDR or anything.

There's definitely interest in this RockChip, so it's not out of the question to see something happen down the line.

I looked into these extensively in the last couple months, they aren't there yet if you're trying to use it to it's potential and fully take advantage of it's HDMI 2.1 capabilities.

The NanoPi's docs *claim* that H/W accelerated video decoding / playback is possible with MPV on their Ubuntu 22.04 release (which is apparently not out yet but has a whole section in the wiki) but I'm skeptical.

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2023, 06:08:30 pm »

Yeah so that NanoPi you linked isn't going to do what you want on Linux just yet.

It's *capable* of it, and on Android I believe everything works with the chip it uses but you're not slapping your own linux distro on it and getting 4k120hz HDR or anything.

There's definitely interest in this RockChip, so it's not out of the question to see something happen down the line.

I looked into these extensively in the last couple months, they aren't there yet if you're trying to use it to it's potential and fully take advantage of it's HDMI 2.1 capabilities.

The NanoPi's docs *claim* that H/W accelerated video decoding / playback is possible with MPV on their Ubuntu 22.04 release (which is apparently not out yet but has a whole section in the wiki) but I'm skeptical.

Oh definitely, it's the hardware (size, power profile, 2.5G, HDMI 2.1, high probability of open-source drivers) that I'm excited about. I understand that this stuff is probably years away on the software side.

eve

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2023, 07:39:56 pm »

Ohdefinitely, it's the hardware (size, power profile, 2.5G, HDMI 2.1, high probability of open-source drivers) that I'm excited about. I understand that this stuff is probably years away on the software side.

As I said, it's a popular chip, I think enough people are looking at it that there's a chance of something happening.

Right now, I can highly encourage you to look into x86 offerings. I've been doing exceedingly well with them, I have a handful of really competent fanless machines based around intel chips that I quite like.

Some of the newest Celerons *technically* support HDMI 2.1 but on the spec sheets, they list a limit of 4k 60hz for the actual HDMI connector. eDP does work at 120hz though so I wouldn't be surprised if boards are out there that do it.

Driver support with these super light x86 systems is often 0 hassle, the only thing you might run into is obviously WiFi drivers but that's like a problem for everyone.

Pages: [1]   Go Up