INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mouse Problem  (Read 567 times)

Robert Taylor

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Living in a Smokeless Zone...
Mouse Problem
« on: January 26, 2023, 05:39:25 pm »

Hi Everyone!

I've been noticing this issue for a long time, but I kept thinking "it'll get fixed soon".

So far it hasn't been fixed, so I thought I should bring it to your attention.

The issue is that on some (I won't say all, but I haven't done exhaustive testing) windows, where there is a button which you might click multiple times in a row (in this example the "Move Down" button), repeatedly clicking on the button WITHOUT MOVING THE MOUSE does nothing after the first click. Only by moving the mouse between each click does the button perform it's action repeatedly.

Hopefully, the attached video will show this clearly.

This seems to have happened on all my machines (Windows - haven't tested on other platforms).

Am I going crazy? Has anyone else noticed this?

greets and best regards from Down Under
Rob
Cheers
Rob

bob

• Administrator
Re: Mouse Problem
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2023, 07:45:59 pm »

Maybe a windows bug. It works on Mac.

HPBEME

• MC Beta Team
  • 1 petard hoisting down, 3 to go - Lock him up!!!
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2023, 08:20:09 pm »

Not a bug. It is your double-click speed setting.
  • slow down between successive clicks, and then you can click the same spot and it will advance
  • if you maximize your mouse's double-click speed setting, it might allow you to click the button quickly and still have it advance
Most of MC's actions are not initiated on "mouse-down", but instead wait until the button is released (mouse-up). This is convenient and makes sense in many situations, but I personally find it really annoying on tabs. The down click should activate the tab and not wait until the mouse button is released.  It would also make sense for clicking down/up buttons as you are in your example.

Robert Taylor

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2023, 03:34:01 pm »

Well, there you go...

I've never noticed it in any other app that I've used, and I've noticed it on the many (Windows) machines we run at home.

I guess I've just been clicking mice for so long now, my own double-click speed has become too fast (maybe, I'm just impatient!)

But you are absolutely right, if I slow down a bit, it works.

Thanks for your explanation, HPBEME!

Cheers
Rob

Robert Taylor

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2023, 04:55:11 pm »

Hi Again,

One thing I should add, though, is that in the example shown in the video, I am not double-clicking the button to move the field up or down. A single click on the button moves up or down.

Strangely changing the mouse double click speed setting to max seems to make MC respond a bit quicker to the clicks on the "Move Up" or "Move Down" button, but you certainly cannot single-click these buttons as fast as the double-click setting allows.

To me, there is still something not quite right with the behaviour of these buttons. Even with the mouse double-click setting on MAX, I can only single-click the up or down buttons approx. every half second and have it respond...
Cheers
Rob

HPBEME

• MC Beta Team
  • 1 petard hoisting down, 3 to go - Lock him up!!!
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2023, 10:50:02 pm »

Strangely changing the mouse double click speed setting to max seems to make MC respond a bit quicker to the clicks on the "Move Up" or "Move Down" button, but you certainly cannot single-click these buttons as fast as the double-click setting allows.
That is exactly what I was trying to convey in my reply: by maximizing your mouses double-click speed setting, you can now single click more rapidly and it will not be interpreted as a double-click, and thus MC can respond faster to each separate single click event.

In your video, when you were rapidly clicking in 2 different spots, those are interpreted as separate single-click events. When you click twice rapidly in a single spot however, MC (or any program for that matter) will interpret that as a double-click event (depending on your mouses double-click speed setting), and thus ignore it and not take any action (for your specific example).

To me, there is still something not quite right with the behaviour of these buttons. Even with the mouse double-click setting on MAX, I can only single-click the up or down buttons approx. every half second and have it respond...
the thing that is "not quite right" is the other item I detailed in my reply - MC does not initiate the expected action on the mouse button down-click, but waits for the button to be released first (mouse-up). This is very easy to check, simply click and hold the button and notice that nothing happens until you release the button.

Sometimes this behavior is a good thing, other times it can be annoying, but in most cases the difference between them goes unnoticed. That said, Matt/JRiver could modify various portions of the code that would benefit from initiating actions on the down-click instead of up-click (your specific example of moving items up and down in a list would be a good candidate).

I do agree though, there are various MC elements that seem to have an extra "beat" between mouse-click and action - not everywhere by any means, but in a few places it is consistently one tick too slow.
Pages: [1]   Go Up