INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Need help - WDM or DLNA issue  (Read 4734 times)

ken-tajalli

• World Citizen
Re: Need help - WDM or DLNA issue
« Reply #50 on: March 06, 2023, 03:14:25 pm »

I mean, it says in the source code that it's 16bit and your screenshot does say "(padded)"

Off topic but is this new guys? Does JRiver now detect 16bit in a 24bit container?
I don't think so.
My output is 24bit in a 32bit package, that's where the padding occurs! at output to DAC.
Uncompressed music on PC - Hugo 2 & DX7 pro - Meridian Poweramp,  Sonus Faber Grand Piano

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #51 on: March 06, 2023, 03:23:45 pm »

If a simple free app can do it, I am sure future builds of JRiver can too!  :)
BTW, it is good all the way to 24/192, which is what WDM is limited to, perhaps it can do 32/768, who knows (or cares!).
WDM isn't limited, but if you're then playing to a device, it is limited by the device.  And the limit via DLNA may be different than the limit when you connect the PC directly to the device.  It's the device that is the limiting factor in both cases.

ken-tajalli

• World Citizen
« Reply #52 on: March 06, 2023, 03:30:59 pm »

WDM isn't limited, but if you're then playing to a device, it is limited by the device.  And the limit via DLNA may be different than the limit when you connect the PC directly to the device.  It's the device that is the limiting factor in both cases.
On windows control panel I get this:
See picture

Edit:
This SWYH can actually stream in FLAC mode.
On LPCM 24/192 is about 10Mb/s on my wifi. changing to FLAC it drops to 4Mb/s !
Uncompressed music on PC - Hugo 2 & DX7 pro - Meridian Poweramp,  Sonus Faber Grand Piano

eve

« Reply #53 on: March 07, 2023, 06:21:47 am »

On windows control panel I get this:
See picture

Edit:
This SWYH can actually stream in FLAC mode.
On LPCM 24/192 is about 10Mb/s on my wifi. changing to FLAC it drops to 4Mb/s !

Very nice! Glad it's all working out for you. :)

ken-tajalli

• World Citizen
« Reply #54 on: March 08, 2023, 08:41:46 am »

Very nice! Glad it's all working out for you. :)
Thank you.
Yes I managed to do what I wanted to do after all, eventhough DLNA being a file-based system, I found a work around.
However still a few issues to iron out:
- Wiim, I couldn't connect to, it just won't work. I gave up on it.
- JRiver acting as end point works, though at times it crashes. I reinstalled it, no help. But it mostly works.
I can stream to it, using Neutron on my phone or SWYH in 24/192 in FLAC.
I have jriver setup on my HTPC and another on my laptop. The HTPC is optical connected to my DAC. On laptop, I get Amazon UHD playing into JRiver on WDM, I apply whatever DSP I need on laptop. JRiver outputs to VB-Cable, which is a virtual soundcard/cable. SWYH gets its input from VB-cable and streams to HTPC, or indeed even to my Neutron on my Android! or UAPP.
Neutron happens to be most stable for this purpose, but the receiving JRiver crashes at times! go figure.
So for streaming a LIVE source, one needs an Android device with a Neutron installed to act as end point, connected to a DAC.
Then on a laptop, SWYH can happily stream to it in Hires. No crashes, stable.
Instead of Wiim, get an old Android phone, install Neutron on it!
BTW, for local files, JRiver can play to the same setup perfectly.

eve

« Reply #55 on: March 08, 2023, 09:41:39 am »

Thank you.
Yes I managed to do what I wanted to do after all, eventhough DLNA being a file-based system, I found a work around.
However still a few issues to iron out:
- Wiim, I couldn't connect to, it just won't work. I gave up on it.
- JRiver acting as end point works, though at times it crashes. I reinstalled it, no help. But it mostly works.
I can stream to it, using Neutron on my phone or SWYH in 24/192 in FLAC.
I have jriver setup on my HTPC and another on my laptop. The HTPC is optical connected to my DAC. On laptop, I get Amazon UHD playing into JRiver on WDM, I apply whatever DSP I need on laptop. JRiver outputs to VB-Cable, which is a virtual soundcard/cable. SWYH gets its input from VB-cable and streams to HTPC, or indeed even to my Neutron on my Android! or UAPP.
Neutron happens to be most stable for this purpose, but the receiving JRiver crashes at times! go figure.
So for streaming a LIVE source, one needs an Android device with a Neutron installed to act as end point, connected to a DAC.
Then on a laptop, SWYH can happily stream to it in Hires. No crashes, stable.
Instead of Wiim, get an old Android phone, install Neutron on it!
BTW, for local files, JRiver can play to the same setup perfectly.

If you can go wired, it sounds like you might be interested in Dante or AES67. I have a ton of systems, different VMs, even a turntable all routed over my network. It's wild.

ken-tajalli

• World Citizen
« Reply #56 on: March 08, 2023, 10:02:44 am »

If you can go wired, it sounds like you might be interested in Dante or AES67. I have a ton of systems, different VMs, even a turntable all routed over my network. It's wild.
Can you tell more, or a link or two

eve

« Reply #57 on: March 08, 2023, 10:18:27 am »

Can you tell more, or a link or two

Dante VSC + Via is an incredibly easy starting point. It will handle connecting 2 computers together very reliably. The sync is excellent, I'm able to game with my monitor at 120hz (meaning each frame is like 8.3ms) for example without noticing issues. Lipsync is flawless, it works for production etc.
https://www.audinate.com/products/software/dante-via
https://www.audinate.com/products/software/dante-virtual-soundcard

Via goes on your Endpoint, VSC goes on each source system.

AES67 is a little more of a complex issue, and you'd be wise to actually buy the hardware for it, at least as a starting point.

I have it working on my own but between building a time appliance (a way more complex subject than I can delve into), sorting out drivers, cobbling together some of my own playback software and building control interfaces to manage everything it's definitely a bit more of an involved task.

eve

« Reply #58 on: March 08, 2023, 10:25:57 am »

-

ken-tajalli

• World Citizen
« Reply #59 on: March 08, 2023, 10:28:17 am »

Dante VSC + Via is an incredibly easy starting point. It will handle connecting 2 computers together very reliably. The sync is excellent, I'm able to game with my monitor at 120hz (meaning each frame is like 8.3ms) for example without noticing issues. Lipsync is flawless, it works for production etc.
https://www.audinate.com/products/software/dante-via
https://www.audinate.com/products/software/dante-virtual-soundcard

Via goes on your Endpoint, VSC goes on each source system.

AES67 is a little more of a complex issue, and you'd be wise to actually buy the hardware for it, at least as a starting point.

I have it working on my own but between building a time appliance (a way more complex subject than I can delve into), sorting out drivers, cobbling together some of my own playback software and building control interfaces to manage everything it's definitely a bit more of an involved task.
Thank you.
Am I right that I only need VIA?
Can it handle hires?

eve

« Reply #60 on: March 08, 2023, 10:34:34 am »

Thank you.
Am I right that I only need VIA?
Can it handle hires?
No, it's  bit confusing. You need VSC and VIA. VSC is a proper ASIO device on Windows, VIA 'taps into' applications audio, it's a little different and poorly explained IMO.

VSC is locked at 24/48, perfect for video sources and production.

For hi-res *music* that doesn't need to maintain the tight visual synchronization that video content does, I use a different method of communication to take processed audio from my rendering system and send it to my endpoint which is actually connected to D/A. This is of course fine as there's no visual component and frankly, the way I upsample music already takes a few seconds to buffer (even with a beefy GPU) so who cares?

For 24/96 or 24/192 in real time with this same level of sync you'd expect from a real physically connected device or Dante VSC + Via, you'll want to look at Ravenna. :) I have 24/32 192 working with it, but I haven't really figured out how to get DSD lmao

ken-tajalli

• World Citizen
« Reply #61 on: March 08, 2023, 10:43:58 am »

It surely is interesting, but expensive.
I can happily stream now, between many devices, and it costs very little in licences.
JRiver is very reasonable, Neutron goes for peanuts.
Neutron can stream to JRiver in bit perfect, automatic bitrate and depth. Neutron can easily stream to another Neutron.
Delay of few seconds is of no importance to me, but I understand, others, gamers can not do with it.
In reality, if one is not bothered with Hi res, then LDAC BT does nicely! OK LDAC is hi res, but I can tell it from standard 16/44 everytime just by listening.
The whole point is being as lossless as possible.
My DAC, does have LDAC, but I never use it.
Thank you.

eve

« Reply #62 on: March 08, 2023, 10:46:00 am »

It surely is interesting, but expensive.
I can happily stream now, between many devices, and it costs very little in licences.
JRiver is very reasonable, Neutron goes for peanuts.
Neutron can stream to JRiver in bit perfect, automatic bitrate and depth. Neutron can easily stream to another Neutron.
Delay of few seconds is of no importance to me, but I understand, others, gamers can not do with it.
In reality, if one is not bothered with Hi res, then LDAC BT does nicely! OK LDAC is hi res, but I can tell it from standard 16/44 everytime just by listening.
The whole point is being as lossless as possible.
My DAC, does have LDAC, but I never use it.
Thank you.

See if a few seconds doesn't matter to you, if there's no visual component then soldier on! You mentioned Amazon UHD and I was thinking you were talking about their Video service lol
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up