More > JRiver Media Center 30 for Windows

NEW: Additional video file metadata

(1/19) > >>

Hendrik:
Coming in 30.0.60, Media Center will import additional metadata from video files for improved filtering and future use in Tooltips and Theater View.

Preview:

Details of all fields:
Video

* Video Codec - Detailed information about the video codec used to compress this video
* Video Bitrate - The bitrate of the video stream (if the value is available)
* Video Crop - Crop of the active image area, without black bars
* Video Scan - Scan type of the video, eg. Interlaced or Progressive
* Color Depth -  Bitdepth of the video (Bits per Component, eg. 8-bit, 10-bit)
* Color Space - The color primaries used for this video
* HDR Format - Format of the HDR information used for this video, if any.
* HDR Average Luminance - The average HDR brightness of this video
* HDR Peak Luminance - The peak HDR brightness of this video
* HDR Mastering Luminance - The brightness of the mastering monitor used for the video
* HDR Mastering Color Space - The color space used for mastering the videoAudio
- For audio, all fields (except Audio Streams) are list fields with one value per stream. These lists may contain empty values, if a stream does not convey this information.

* Audio Streams - Number of audio streams in the video
* Audio Codec - Audio codec used to compress the audio
* Audio Channels - Number of audio channels
* Audio Sample Rate - Sample rate of the audio
* Audio Bitrate - Bitrate of the audio
* Audio Language - Language of the audio
* Audio Title - Title of the audio streamSubtitles
- Similar to audio, these fields are list fields with one entry for each subtitle stream

* Subtitle Streams - Number of subtitle streams
* Subtitle Codec - The codec used to compress/encode the subtitles
* Subtitle Language - Language of the subtitles
* Subtitle Title - Title of the subtitle stream
How do I use this?

The new information is automatically gathered when a video file is imported. Additionally, running the "Update Library (from tags)" tool will also populate these fields.
Additionally, there is a "Analyze Video" button under Library Tools to gather this information quickly on existing files.

This data can be imported from all local video files. Functionality with internet streams or other streaming sources will be very limited.
DVD folder structures (IFO) are not currently supported, but will be added in a future update.

Future changes

We will be expanding these features in the near future. Coming up next:

- DVD folder structures (IFO)
- Bitrate values are only populated when the file has built-in metadata to provide this data, we plan to look into measuring the values in absence of metadata

mwillems:
I'm really excited to have subtitle data available in the metadata.  I often watch video in environments where subtitles are necessary, but not all of my videos have subtitles and I never figured out a good way to create a view to show which files have subs and which don't.  That also complicated the process of finding 3rd party subtitles (as I couldn't readily make a list of videos that needed them, so I'd just handle it when I encountered it).  Now both those tasks should be easy to do.  Thanks so much!

zybex:
Awesome, thank you Hendrik :)

The new fields did not show up by default in my Tag Editor - I didn't have the "All Fields" section enabled (not sure if I removed that some time ago or if it's the default). So I had to customize the editor to add the section, as I don't see an easy way to add a "Video" section like you have on your screenshot. They also don't show up on the "Fields with values" section, which may be a bug?

Would it be possible to add "Video Info" and "Audio Info" sections to the Tag panel with the relevant fields already added? It would be nice that we could add/remove those sections just by selecting them. The "Add" button could have "Add section -> Video/Audio/Subs/File/etc", each with a predefined list of fields.

eve:
Subtitle metadata is a *really* nice touch.

I've had to resort to reading mediainfo for items separately to establish what the 'index' is for audio and subs to use with my own control interface  ::)
This simplifies things a little since I guess I can just read the list from JRiver itself and figure out the index that way.

amandalishus:
Y'know, I've been using MC for well over a decade now... One might think that eventually you'll run out of ways to wow me with a new feature, and yet you keep doing it regularly and reliably, year after year. In fact, I've learned that if I haven't been blown away by a new feature in the last couple of releases, I need to go back to the changelog for each build and see what I missed.

This time it's the audio streams... I'm a sucker for the commentary track on movies I like, and I've invested quite a bit of time and money adding audio streams to movies for which I've purchased RiffTrax as well. I've added custom database fields to help me keep track, but that only works when I remember to populate them. I've had much the same problem with subtitles, since I started trying to collect them when I recently became friends with someone who is losing their hearing. He's already quite impressed with the scope of options MC offers for displaying subtitles, but I'm sure it will make him even happier once I don't need to start the movie to determine whether I have them or not.

Anyway, thanks again for your ceaseless work improving what was already the best media library and player around  :-* I may have to apply for the beta channel if Build 60 isn't out by Valentine's Day  ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version