INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: [Improvment] Request Better Lyric Support  (Read 715 times)

Pil0tXia

[Improvment] Request Better Lyric Support
« on: February 03, 2023, 11:38:01 am »

Hello, this is really worth a look for you developers.

Let's have a look first. This is the lyrics of a song on Potplayer:

This is the Netease Cloud Music's:

Here is the JMC's:

You see the difference? JMC's lyric display is so humble!

I'm not requesting a fancy UI. I just want my lyrics and line feed displayed correctly, without omission.

I want to see them through and no need to find out what line the singer is singing now.

I want the time stamps removed.

Please! Thank you!

PS: I wrote the lyrics into the tags of the file using MusicTags (https://www.cnblogs.com/vinlxc/p/11347744.html).

Results:

Pil0tXia

Re: [Improvment] Request Better Lyric Support
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2023, 08:44:44 am »

Is there a developer here who can respond to me? Thanks a lot.

EnglishTiger

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2023, 09:28:49 am »

The "Time Stamps" in those lyrics are because they are only intended for use in Software that has the ability to Auto-Scroll them.

However, since there are countless sources of Non-Time Stamped Lyrics on the Net I seriously doubt if JRiver would willingly spend time on developing a routine to remove them from the lyrics that very few people would need or want.

There is a fairly selection of TrakInfo Plugins that can provide different, possibly better, ways off presenting lyrics
You can read about some of them here - https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,134776.0.html
or View and Download them here - http:// [url]https://englishtiger.uk/index.html [/URL}
Win NUC - VENOEN 11Th NUC Mini PC Core i7 1165G7,Dual HDMI 2.0+Mini DP,Windows 11 Mini Desktop Computer,Thunderbolt 4.0,1 Lan, USB-C,Wifi,Bluetooth 5.0,32GB RAM Toshiba MQ04ABF100 ‎500Gb 5400 RPM ‎eSATA HD, Gigabyte GP-GSM2NE3512GNTD 1Tb NVMe SSD, Samsung 870 QVO 8 TB SATA 2.5 Inch SSD (MZ-77Q8T0) in Sabrent Ultra Slim USB 3.0 to 2.5-Inch SATA External Aluminium Hard Drive Enclosure (EC-UK30)

Apple 2020 Mac mini M1 Chip (8GB RAM, 512GB SSD)
Sabrent Thunderbolt 3 to Dual NVMe M.2 SSD Tool-Free Enclosure with Sabrent 2TB Rocket NVMe PCIe M.2 2280 High Performance SSD + Crucial P3 Plus 4TB M.2 PCIe

ET Skins & TrackInfo Plugins - https://englishtiger.uk/index.html

Pil0tXia

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2023, 06:13:17 am »

Why Auto-Scroll Lyrics should be minority? It is a better way to present lyrics isn't it?

Your works are Great. At least I can see the whole line through without omission now. This is the UI after using your plugin:

You see, the font size of lyrics are a little small and musics without lyrics left a huge whiteboard.

I am looking forward to your subsequent updates and improvements! Thanks a lot!

And I hope the JMC developers will follow suit and take JMC's lyric display to the mainstream.

eve

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2023, 06:47:31 pm »

AutoScroll (timed) lyrics are still relatively rare and not many users have that metadata in their files already.

I agree it *should* be in there but I really don't know what % of JRiver's considerable user base would actually take advantage of it.

What's the best database for timed lyrics btw? Any consensus / clear winners?

HPBEME

• MC Beta Team
  • Hoisted by his own petard - Lock him up!
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2023, 08:07:19 pm »

Minilyrics had the best timed lyric database to my knowledge, but the company has been defunct since 2015. 

That said, the (free) MiniLyrics program worked fantastically well with MC... and still does... but only with the 32-bit MC version (and you have to trick MiniLyrics into thinking it is "plugging into" MC20 or earlier). But where one can download timed lyrics these days? I have no idea.

PilotXia

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2023, 10:45:09 am »

AutoScroll (timed) lyrics are still relatively rare and not many users have that metadata in their files already.

I agree it *should* be in there but I really don't know what % of JRiver's considerable user base would actually take advantage of it.

What's the best database for timed lyrics btw? Any consensus / clear winners?

I live in China. There is no music app in China that doesn't support syncronized lyrics today. Netease Cloud Music and QQMusic have full timed lyrics support for each song, whatever language it is. QQMusic supported Real-time desktop lyrics almost 10 years ago. A music player should have scrolling lyrics has been a common cognition for every Chinese people.

There are multiple tools to download lyric files (.lrc) from these online music platforms. It is the same as writting lyrics into tags.

I doesn't know much about Amazon or Sony, but Potplayer, Apple Music, foobar2000 with plugin (eg. OpenLyrics, Lyric Show Panel 3 which has youtube tutorial 9 years ago) all support syncronized lyrics. I believe it's not only just that features need to be developed, but also that they need to be developed before anyone will use them.

HPBEME

• MC Beta Team
  • Hoisted by his own petard - Lock him up!
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2023, 04:03:59 pm »

I would love to see MC incorporate synchronized lyrics directly, and pick up developing Minilyrics for themselves. Maybe the original Minilyrics software could be purchased by JRiver since it seems to be abandoned at this point. It seems to be very well thought out software (though it's UI could use an update).

If a big enough demand could be demonstrated within the MC community for synchronized lyrics, the developers might consider it - I'm just not sure the demand is there.  You could maybe start a new thread that includes a poll to gauge how many members are interested. That might get the ball rolling.

Best of luck.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2023, 04:14:36 pm »

I'm going to close this now.  Using lyrics to accompany your own music as you play it is one thing.  It's just making what you have more convenient.

If we went too far, I think we'd run into rights issues.

I do agree that our user interface needs work.
Pages: [1]   Go Up