INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can't get 2.1 source to work  (Read 426 times)

srbmsun

• Recent member
Can't get 2.1 source to work
« on: February 09, 2023, 07:31:12 am »

I just got a Klipsch R-101SW subwoofer for my system, and when I try to change the source number of channels from stereo to 2.1, I can't get playback. I get a message saying it will work in two channels but not 2.1. Any answers?

samtheman57

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: Can't get 2.1 source to work
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2023, 10:17:31 am »

I have the same issues, not sure if it's my DAC or MC. Works flawlessly in stereo, playback doesn't happen at all when choosing 2.1.

samtheman57

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2023, 10:25:35 am »

MC playback error message also says that Playback doesn't work in 6 channels when I am only choosing 2.1.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2023, 10:51:03 am »

Settings in DSP Studio?

Windows?  Test under Sounds in Control Panel.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2023, 11:00:33 am »

The way MC works is that 2.1 channel output uses six channels of output by default, but three of those channels are empty.  There have been a few threads on this over the years outlining the devs rationale.  So the issue is that your DAC probably doesn't have six channels. 

It would be helpful if you could explain how many channels your DAC supports and what your signal chain looks like. 

For context, most commercial DACs either have only two channel outputs or six or more channels.  If you have a two-channel DAC you'd never be able to do real 2.1 output at the DAC because you don't have a third output for the sub.  But DACs with more than two channels but less than 6 are pretty uncommon.  For example, I've never seen or heard of a three channel DAC in commercial production, but I have see one or two professional interfaces with four channel outputs.

samtheman57

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2023, 11:54:12 am »

"For context, most commercial DACs either have only two channel outputs or six or more channels.  If you have a two-channel DAC you'd never be able to do real 2.1 output at the DAC because you don't have a third output for the sub.  But DACs with more than two channels but less than 6 are pretty uncommon.  For example, I've never seen or heard of a three-channel DAC in commercial production, but I have seen one or two professional interfaces with four-channel outputs."

This is exactly my case, my DAC outputs only two channels through a passive preamp, then to the sub, and then routes out of the sub to studio monitors. But, definitely only two channels out from the DAC, Thanks for clearing that up.

kr4

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2023, 12:06:33 pm »

Then you want only 2.0 out anyway. 
Kal Rubinson
"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
Pages: [1]   Go Up