INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ... and, if I may say...  (Read 1355 times)

antenna

• Galactic Citizen
... and, if I may say...
« on: February 09, 2023, 08:03:23 pm »

The rumors from back in the day of vinyl was that CBS Records did not allow their master tapes to leave CBS.

So, when Mobile Fidelity used "master tapes" in their releases, what, really, was the source media?

?

:(

=========
Vinyl: Shure V15VxMR, Shure VN5MR stylus, VPI Scout turntable
Shellac: Shure M91, Shure N75-3 stylus,  Dual 1218 turntable

Apt Holman preamp (updated), Benchmark Media ADC-1, Benchmark Media DAC-1, Carver TFM-45 power amp (updated), Original Acoustic Research AR-9 speakers (LF surrounds replaced), Sennheiser HD590 headphones

lepa

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: ... and, if I may say...
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2023, 01:42:18 am »

Original Master Tape copies?  Today DSD copies of the Original Master Tape ;D

Scobie

• MC Beta Team
  • Looking Busy
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2023, 03:47:48 am »

First generation mastering, or "From Original Master Tapes" or "From the Lab"....yeah can be a bit of a lottery sometimes.

lepa

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2023, 07:56:24 am »

Don't really care if it sounds good but of course lying is lying and that "all analog from original master tapes" has been used as reasoning for the high price also.

antenna

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2023, 07:21:37 pm »

First generation mastering, or "From Original Master Tapes" or "From the Lab"....yeah can be a bit of a lottery sometimes.

Of course, that presumes the record company is even trying.

I purchased my first CD player in May 1984. I had to drive an hour and pay $700 to get it.

Some of the early CDs I purchased (for $20+ in 1984 dollars) were (I'll be kind) less than good.

To my ears at the time, those CDs sounded like 4th or 5th generation copies of the master tape, and not even good copies.

For example, at the time John (Cougar) Mellencamp was not the star he came to be.  The CDs of his albums that I bought back then, well the phrase "lacking treble" is a start.

Sigh....

It is good to see that the record industry seems to have progressed beyond that mess of low-fi in the early days of CDs....

They have?  Right?

=========

Apt Holman preamp (updated), Benchmark Media ADC-1, Benchmark Media DAC-1, Carver TFM-45 power amp (updated), Original Acoustic Research AR-9 speakers (LF surrounds replaced), Sennheiser HD590 headphones

antenna

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2023, 11:16:54 pm »

Of course, that presumes the record company is even trying....

To clarify my view on all this, let me state it simply...

It is about the music.

It is not about the technology, it is about the music.

The Music.

=========

antenna

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2023, 01:25:49 am »

Don't really care if it sounds good but of course lying is lying and that "all analog from original master tapes" has been used as reasoning for the high price also.

Yes, and no.

We need to differentiate the mass production of albums from those companies that try harder.

OK, allow me to define my terms.

> mass production of albums

From what I saw when I visited a company's record manufacturing plant (a company in Winchester, VA that seemed to have produced more than half of the albums in the late 70's), there seemed to be issues in the manufacturing process.

For starters, the vinyl cake (about 3x3x1/2 inch in size) is placed into the press.  Then the two sides of the press come together and, with heat, squeeze that vinyl cake out to the to the 12 inch diameter record that we all enjoy.

OK, there are some manufacturing parameters that need to be observed.

One, that I have noticed as I digitized the vinyl in my accumulation, is that sometimes the record companies seem to be more concerned about reducing the time "in the press" for each disc, and less caring about whether or not the vinyl being pressed out actually makes it to the full 12 inches of an album., i.e, pump out more discs per hour, quality is secondary.

I cannot say how many albums that I have returned to the store back in the day because of that defect.  I will say that one record store clerk said to me, ~oh you again.~

I do note that the record companies seem to have had different timings for "the press" with the first pressing of an album, and that the record companies also seemed to use virgin vinyl for that first pressing of an album, as opposed to the recycled vinyl used in subsequent pressings (recycled vinyl with bits of paper from the ground up labels on the recycled records.  Wow, those paper bits sound great...but that is a whole different comment...)

OK, where am I going here?

Thank-you for asking... :)

The whole "master tape" thing may be a farce.

Pay more attention to the pressing process used for the album. 

In my experience, if a company is using an excellent pressing process, (lots of virgin vinyl, and a slow pressing process)  then that company is going to want an excellent master recording to press.  The quality of the product is related to the quality of the source materials.

My opinion, and no more or less...

But, enjoy the music, nonetheless...

=========

Pages: [1]   Go Up