INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can Forced Subtitles be Identified?  (Read 340 times)

syndromeofadown

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Can Forced Subtitles be Identified?
« on: February 09, 2023, 11:13:01 pm »

With the recent additional video file metadata I thought this to be a good time to ask.

Would it be possible for MC to display the file size, or number of characters, for each subtitle contained in mkv, Bluray, dvd, etc. ?
Reason being to help isolate the forced subtitles from other ones.

My typical rips have 4 English subtitles. I do not know if a movie has forced subtitles until another language is spoken. So then I turn on a subtitle, but I do not know what one is the forced subtitles until English comes back. Ideally I could identify if there are forced subtitles at the beginning of a movie, or they just start automatically from being automatically identified.

Is this something can be added to MC?

Thanks

htnut

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: Can Forced Subtitles be Identified?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2023, 01:59:26 pm »

Forced subs seem to always work properly when playing back using BD menus.

It would be nice if they would also consistently display when using “title” playback, though.

syndromeofadown

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Can Forced Subtitles be Identified?
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2023, 03:24:18 pm »

All my blurays are converted to mkv. When doing so I have MakeMKV setup to include all english subs as well as forced english. At the moment I am unaware of an easy way to distinguish between them all. I notice this the most with ripped blurays but that is mostly what I watch. I suspect it is similar with dvd ripped to mkv but I have not been watching many of these lately. Most of my dvds are ripped to folder structure and I think the forced subtitles typically work. I can think of times when they have and times when they haven't. I suspect it depends on how the dvd was authored by the manufacturer.

In my non developer imagination I picture myself starting a movie, checking for subtitles, then selecting the smallest one so the forced subtitles will appear when needed. Or automate the process by having a setting where subtitles under a certain length or size are turned on automatically.
Pages: [1]   Go Up