INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRiver Freezing after Screensaver is Activated  (Read 702 times)

TheTrap

• Recent member
JRiver Freezing after Screensaver is Activated
« on: February 12, 2023, 12:55:01 am »

Is anyone else experiencing freezing that can only be resolved by killing the jriver process and restarting the program?

This happens when music is playing and screensaver is activated.
Nvidia GPU, Windows 10 64bit, Music on network drive.

TheTrap

• Recent member
Re: JRiver Freezing after Screensaver is Activated
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2023, 12:43:46 am »

I suspect it has something to do with using HDMI as audio (GPU -> AVR) but this behaviour doesn't exist on other players like foobar.

Example:
5 min audio track
Screensaver set at 3 mins
Audio plays all the way until track ends, but refuses to switch to the next track until 2 mins later or so. Then self-fixes itself.

It looks like there's something wrong with the way JRiver handles hdmi audio sources or with windows screensaver/sleep?

TheTrap

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2023, 06:29:16 am »

Is this the place to file a support ticket or is anyone looking at this issue?
The software really isn't functional for my situation after multiple patches to v30.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2023, 07:54:31 am »

I don't think this is an MC problem.  That it happens with a screensaver may mean it's a video driver problem.  Try updating it.  Try a Google search for similar problems with your video hardware.

TheTrap

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2023, 09:11:07 pm »

I've mostly narrowed it down to HDMI.
Specifically on how JRiver handles HDMI audio.
As mentioned, other players don't exhibit the same issue with the same setup. (i.e. WASAPI exclusive, etc.)

I also noticed JRiver actually has an option to prevent screensaver (Disable Display from Turning Off, Useful for HDMI audio) from kicking in, which prevents the issue from kicking in.
However as I'm using an OLED display this really isn't an option.

The presence of this option also leads me to guess that someone in the team must know of this issue and hence this "workaround" was put in place.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2023, 01:05:59 am »

No, that's not a workaround.  And HDMI has worked fine for a long time.

Your HDMI support is via the Nvidia driver.  Try updating it or downgrading it.  Search on Google.

I assume your screensaver is via Windows, not something you've installed.  Correct?

TheTrap

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2023, 02:39:43 am »

That's right, it's the default windows screensaver.

I've gone through several versions of the Nvidia driver and even reformatted my PC and reinstalled windows a few months back.
The settings are all default, I also tested the power management and windows sleep/power settings to no avail.

What I can't understand is why other players like foobar work but JRiver doesn't.
So I tested with my laptop and it worked fine.

So now I still have a broken JRiver copy on my desktop and so I finally gave up and decided to fiddle with each feature/option one by one from disabling the DLNA server to enabling audio only mode until nothing plausible was left.

Finally I decided to try one last thing and backed up my library and reinstalled JRiver and tested it.
I also removed all entries to the old v29.

It works!

Then it still works too after restoring my library and settings.
I still have no idea what caused this since it shouldn't have made a difference other than re-entering the registry keys but it works...
Pages: [1]   Go Up