INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: basic update question for installing MC25 on new laptop  (Read 1595 times)

Randy Alexander

• Recent member
basic update question for installing MC25 on new laptop
« on: February 21, 2023, 01:39:41 pm »

Hi, I have admittedly very basic laptop skills. I have managed to install MC25 on my new laptop(for music use only). Now when I look at my files only m4a files have transferred over leaving several hundred mp3 files. I am not sure how to get the mp3 files included on my new laptop. Does it seem likely that my new laptop has blocked them somehow? I have a feeling there is an easy answer to this but I have not found it yet. If anyone can pass any tips on they would be much appreciated. Maybe a firewall of some kind?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: basic update question for installing MC25 on new laptop
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2023, 02:47:57 pm »

On the wiki, read about importing files.  You can edit auto-import settings to include any filetype.

Randy Alexander

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2023, 03:46:37 pm »

I cannot find this on the Wiki page on Import, I have reread this again and do not see what I have to do. Can you direct me a little bit?. Am I correct in assuming the mp3 files were blocked?. I have been trying to do this for months and keep giving up. Believe me I hate asking here more than you hate answering these basic questions. If required I'll get someone with a little more tech knowledge to read the Wiki page and try again later.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2023, 05:04:11 pm »

What part don't you understand?  This should be all you need:

https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Auto-Import

Add a folder, edit it to specify file types.

Make sure you know where your MP3 files are.

Randy Alexander

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2023, 08:20:53 am »

That may help and I do appreciate it. It's not as easy as you may think for someone with very limited computer skills but I do try my best.

lepa

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2023, 10:55:57 am »

This assumes that mp3 files actually are already in your new laptop

Short version from that import wiki:
- Select from menu bar: Tools > Import. Select "Configure Auto-Import" and press next.
- Media Import window opens.
- Press "Add" and "Folder Settings" opens.
- Press "Browse" and navigate to your folder where all your mp3 files are. Choose the folder with mouse and press "Select Folder"
- You are now back in the Folder Settings:
  - Select mode: Include this folder and  all child folders.
  - On Import these file types select Audio
  - Press Ok and then Finish. You are all set.

At some point auto importing should now start in the background
Hope this helps. Images also added to illustrate instructions

Randy Alexander

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2023, 12:40:10 pm »

Outstanding, Thank You, That all seems doable. I have screwed this up so much I have printed your notes as well as the Wiki pages for Auto-Import. I will get some assistance and go thru it carefully. A little more delay is no big deal, I will be very happy to get this done.

Randy Alexander

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2023, 09:44:47 am »

I still have my MC25 working fine on my old laptop and love it. I attempted to install same on a new laptop and while MC25 is there not all my files are included or are any of my playlists included.
My iTunes library did not import properly as well as there are many missing files and this may be the issue.
I am taking my laptop in for service for someone to do a "data transfer", delete & reinstall iTunes on new laptop. I am assuming that JRiver retrieves from iTunes.

My question is this, Do i need a new "install key" to reinstall MC25 or since it is there already can we work with that to get all my songs included. I have really struggled with this and have gotten more confused over time. Any direction would be much appreciated, I only use JRiver with my music streamer.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2023, 10:07:24 am »

You can find MC25 and recover your license.  Here's how:  https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Restoring_a_License

Randy Alexander

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2023, 08:21:09 am »

Thx Jim, Do I need to do the installation again? MC25 is on my new laptop, I was hoping that the service person could copy all my old files(songs) and move them over to the new laptop when he updates my iTunes. I could just see him telling me he does not understand what needs to be done.
I just want to make it as easy as possible so it gets done.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2023, 08:27:01 am »

I would recommend upgrading to MC31 first, then restoring a backup from MC25.

If you're changing machines, read the wiki topic called Moving Files.

The wiki is the best source of information.

Randy Alexander

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2023, 09:16:03 am »

Jim, If required I have no issue paying for an upgrade, I'm just not sure that would help. I'm paying for a guy to try and figure this out now and he seems confused. I'm sure I have made this more difficult than it should be but it's not so easy for non tech people. I keep giving up in frustration but have been trying to do this for over a year now. Since MC25 is currently on my new laptop with about 1/3 of my files(songs) i will see if my guy can use the "auto import" instructions from Wiki and move the files over. Let me know if this is a waste of time.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2023, 10:00:31 am »

You're paying someone to get an old version installed.  You may need to do it again in the future if you don't install the current version now.  It's not required.

Randy Alexander

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2023, 11:59:04 am »

i just really want to know if we need to delete the MC25 on the new laptop and start over with new install key or hopefully since it is there on the new laptop just follow the "import files Wiki pages carefully to update my library.

Randy Alexander

• Recent member
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2023, 10:14:14 am »

Well, that sure did not work. I spent $250 and now have lots of room on my hard drive and my laptop is much faster but the tech I used left me with a "trial version". He did update my iTunes library but on MC25 I lost my playlists and album artwork. I cannot see or add my Network Streamer on this trial version
Luckily I still have MC25 installed and working on my old laptop which will not last much longer. Please advise the best way to proceed as I am obviously very confused. ie: do I need to delete the trial version or can I add my license key and go from there? I could start all over again and reinstall I would purchase the newest version if I have to but fear I will run into the same install issues. I am a senior with limited funds but my music is very important to me. I also know from previous posts that no one likes dealing with someone who is pretty much computer illiterate so please consider that. I have been attempting this for months If I cannot get an answer I am thinking I will restore my license and try and reinstall MC25 on my newer laptop once again in a final attempt. Looks like Library backup and moving files are the WIKI pages I need to follow  TIA

Randy Alexander

• Recent member
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2023, 01:58:46 pm »

Please advise if this will not work.
I will backup my library on my old laptop where MC25 is working fine. Delete MC25 from new laptop, restore my license and reinstall MC25 on my new laptop. Hopefully I will then see my Cambridge Audio cxnv2 network player as I do on the old laptop. it's not an issue having MC25 on 2 laptops is it? I really am trying but am at my wits end.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2023, 08:50:25 am »

I don't recommend using MC25 now.  Download and install MC31.  You don't need a tech to do that.

Try importing your media files then.

Randy Alexander

• Recent member
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2023, 07:50:52 pm »

If I thought it would work I'd upgrade in a minute. As mentioned I am a senior that really struggles with this stuff. I have tried hard, spent many hours trying to restore it. I feel I am being forced to try another media server which is unfortunate as I loved JRiver. I'll take a break and attempt one more time. Sorry to take up your time with this but the support is very poor.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2023, 10:16:44 pm »

Install MC31. It's free to try. I'm probably older than you.

Then ask questions if you get stuck.

Randy Alexander

• Recent member
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2023, 08:18:49 am »

Jim, I may try this but hate the thought of having to ask more questions that you find frustrating. I'm not sure how the upgrade would make the installation easier. If you think it would let me know, I really struggle with anything in the tech world but I should be able to do a basic install. I will think about it. Thx

Randy Alexander

• Recent member
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2023, 09:29:04 am »

Hey Jim, I am willing to pay for the upgrade and carefully add JRiver to my newer laptop but have a couple of "dumb" basic questions. Initially, (MC22)my JRiver library populated itself from my iTunes library. Somehow on my new laptop, I have deleted my iTunes library but the JRiver library is still there and useable. Do I need iTunes at all at this time? I am worried the tech I used to add a hard drive and RAM to my newer laptop installed a temp version of JRiver(but I see MC25)as I no longer see my music streamer (Cambridge Audio CXNV2) I find it in Bluetooth settings but it is greyed out and I'm unable to connect. As mentioned all is good on my old laptop and I see and connect to my streamer fine. Finally, should I completely delete the MC version I am having issues with and start over? Looking for the easiest way for me.
Easy to see how I get confused but I feel I sometimes create problems that are not there. Thanks for the assistance, I am going into the hospital for a spell but want to get this done as soon as I get home and have all my music files where I want. I assume your "where the buffalo roam" refers to HST.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2023, 10:31:03 am »

Install MC31, then restore your latest backup.  MC makes backups automatically.  The wiki explains how.

Here's more on the upgrade process:
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,135680.0.html

Randy Alexander

• Recent member
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2023, 04:47:34 pm »

I didn't think I was asking for much I did purchase 22 and 25 and have struggled for a year. I just know if I pay for 31 I'll be in the same position. I don't even know if my library is still there. Very disappointing
Pages: [1]   Go Up