INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Do I need Mp3 gain any more?  (Read 394 times)

jack wallstreet

• Citizen of the Universe
Do I need Mp3 gain any more?
« on: February 23, 2023, 04:55:58 pm »

Over the years with MC, I have used MP3gain to get the Mp3 gain calculation on my MP3 files.  I know MC doesn't need that since it has its own volume leveling system, but I would sometimes play outside of MC.  However, times change and my phone (which I sometimes use to play the same music files and is that awful brand that has screwed over J River) has its own volume leveling system also.  Those are the only two methods I use to play music now (and mostly MC).  So what do people think about my 1) dropping Mp3Gain from my file processing, and 2) clearing out all the Mp3gain settings on my files (I don't think MC can clear them, can it?) and then 3) re analyzing using MC without the Mp3gain setttings?
John

jack wallstreet

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Do I need Replay Gain any more?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2023, 10:42:59 pm »

For those who may wonder, I have removed Replay Gain (used Mp3Gain to originally add and later remove) from all my files (which had then used MC's volume leveling on top of Replay Gain).  With replay gain markers removed, I reanalyzed using MC.  The volume leveling appears at least as good as it was (seems likely to be the same).  So there doesn't appear to be any benefit (as you might expect) from using Replay Gain first and then MC's volume leveling.
John

BigCat

• World Citizen
  • Believe...
Re: Do I need Mp3 gain any more?
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2023, 08:59:43 am »

Yeah, I have posted here long ago over the same thing. Short version: I stopped using Replay Gain, too, but did not remove it's info from my files. Now I just analyze with JRiver.

For the record, I never had a problem with Replay Gain. I stopped using it partially due to others warning that it could cause issues. Like you, I had been using it because I do play files elsewhere.

I actually DO play files on my Android phone in my car on a "not JRiver" app. I have not been able to get JRiver for Android to work. I did buy it; I am just tired of trying to fix it for now (but don't give up on it, JRiver!). And I do have a volume leveling issue. But I am mixing many types of audio and video formats so mp3gain wouldn't help much anyway.

Striker

• World Citizen
Re: Do I need Mp3 gain any more?
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2023, 06:25:01 pm »

My memories of reply-gain are that replay-gain works much better ran the current VolumeLeveling 128.

I have a DPS setting I can apply per track to lower the volume by 6db for extra loud tracks (after VolumeLeveling has been applied).

While I have a collection of OMG LOUD tracks, a high number of them are hi-rez sampling rate tracks.

Still, I'm constantly having to adjust my volume control, which VolumeLeveling was supposed to eliminate.
Pages: [1]   Go Up