INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Media Server on Mac clarification  (Read 328 times)

retiredteacherguy

• World Citizen
Media Server on Mac clarification
« on: February 25, 2023, 08:04:31 am »

As I've become more comfortable with Panel I'm finding there are stretches where I don't need MC active and so I only need to run the server. I've check past threads (there hasn't been much discussion since around 2015) so I'm guessing most Mac users don't need the feature, but it does seem clear that things work a little differently than on Windows and I'd like to clarify what is taking place.

In the MC startup options I can choose "Run on Mac startup: Media Server." But when this is selected, the entire app (in my case MC 30) is placed into the system login items. So as one might expect, the entire app launches on a reboot. However, I do get the menubar icon that you would want to see for just running the server.

If I then quit MC 30, the menubar icon remains, and I am able to access my library using Panel, so all good. But in macOS Activity Monitor, the full app is still running and there is no evidence of "Media Server." So I guess what I need to know is if this is expected behavior and is this the correct/only way to go about getting the server to run alone (let the full app launch on restart, then quit it).

In the first hour or so of using this configuration, the desktop app has appeared without a menubar (so no ability to make it go away..even clicking the red X in the upper left has no result). I'll continue working with it and see what I can learn, but this obviously is not expected behavior.

Thanks

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Media Server on Mac clarification
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2023, 08:28:21 am »

Media Server is a small footprint version of MC.  More on the wiki.

retiredteacherguy

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2023, 08:57:33 am »

I've read the wiki, I don't see any further clarification there about how the server is handled on a Mac.

As I mentioned, I can tell from the threads here that this is a low-priority item for most users, so no worries from my end, I just want you to know that there are some actions happening that you may not be aware of. Video attached to explain.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pskw_fkVV2_nsi-Vk34eBp6UGYt2TYJ_/view?usp=share_link

transmaster

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2023, 12:29:26 pm »

I am going to be watching this I have always run JRiver on My PC's as a server. Not sure if I will do so on the Mac as the reasons for running a server in the first place have drastically changed. 

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2023, 02:26:09 pm »

Apple menu Quit when the MC  UI is showing quits the app entirely, including media server.
If you just want to quit the UI you should use the close button on the main UI or just close the window with the key combo you were using.
When you play with Panel in media server mode to the PLAYER zone, it will popup the UI because you are playing to the PLAYER zone. The fact that it doesn't activate the input is obviously not correct and is a side effect of playback essentially being started remotely.
Everything else you see is expected behavior.

retiredteacherguy

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2023, 02:35:02 pm »

OK, thanks Bob
Pages: [1]   Go Up