INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: [BUG] Room correction filters are peaky and routing doesn't seem to work  (Read 593 times)

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe

while answering https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,135272.0.html I thought I'd remeasure to verify

pics attached show the configuration & the resulting response given MC is told to apply a 4th order high pass filter

This is really broken, there should be no peak in such a filter. This problem occurs when you apply your variable Q pass filters (those filters have quite unusual behaviour) but it didn't used to be a problem for room correction.

An even bigger problem is that this configuration doesn't produce *any* subwoofer output, you can see it in the analyser and in the output, it's silent despite having "move bass" selected.

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
Re: [BUG] Room correction filters are peaky and routing doesn't seem to work
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2023, 04:21:11 am »

illustration comparing PEQ HPF, 24dB/octave slope with Q=0.707 vs Q=1 vs the filter used by RC

you can see RC erroneously uses Q=1

I imagine this was broken at the time the DSP fixes went in (early MC29?)

overall I think it would be best to revisit the high and low pass filters, the variable Q behaviour when they are not 2nd order is extremely unconventional (aka they ring like crazy due to the way they are stacked), and even better if you introduce standard filter types on top of just having butterworth filters.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2023, 10:53:47 am »

When we adjusted the Q for our filters, we didn't adjust the Q used by Room Correction.  I asked the team, but it seems like we should update it.  Thanks for the help.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

stewart_pk

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2023, 06:18:35 pm »

I'm very much looking forward to this issue being resolved.

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2023, 02:07:42 am »

Great

Any thoughts of the lack of a subwoofer? The move option is set but nothing appears in the output.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2023, 09:51:22 am »

Please test after we release the updated filters.  I tested with our test tones and it was moving bass correctly.  Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

stewart_pk

Please test after we release the updated filters.  I tested with our test tones and it was moving bass correctly.  Thanks.
With version 30.0.66 I toggle Room Correction on/off with an 80Hz crossover and there is significantly more bass when it's on. So, it doses appear to be moving bass to the subwoofer channel.

stewart_pk

I've notice the following in the latest version: https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,135325.0.html

30.0.69 (2/28/2023)

4. Changed: Adjusted the Q in filters used for Room Correction, Headphones, Convolution, etc. to account for the square root of two change in v29.
Pages: [1]   Go Up