INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: useing volume control  (Read 842 times)

bryant berry

• World Citizen
  • im a good listener,even if i dont look it.
useing volume control
« on: March 05, 2023, 10:09:54 pm »

i have been using the volume in j.r. wasapi with my dac direct into power amp...no preamp with tone ect....with DSP   volume leveling and adaptive leveling...the volume level never really got over 85 or 90...loud.....so i got a passive volume control rca out of dac into new volume unit into power amp....now  the volume in j.r. is on 100....and have internal volume in setting  turned off....now using volume knob.....it does sound better.....the usual lingo of better audio....is this really the correct way???.....its usb into dac....7ys with pc audio....still growing.....happy spring fever to all...

eve

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: useing volume control
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2023, 06:16:09 am »

i have been using the volume in j.r. wasapi with my dac direct into power amp...no preamp with tone ect....with DSP   volume leveling and adaptive leveling...the volume level never really got over 85 or 90...loud.....so i got a passive volume control rca out of dac into new volume unit into power amp....now  the volume in j.r. is on 100....and have internal volume in setting  turned off....now using volume knob.....it does sound better.....the usual lingo of better audio....is this really the correct way???.....its usb into dac....7ys with pc audio....still growing.....happy spring fever to all...

It's highly dependent on your setup and if you really want to get into the weeds, surprisingly, analog volume isn't 'always' better.

Having said that, I personally like 'something' in between my D/A and my power that isn't tied to a computer. In my case, my DAC has a built in front panel volume control that ignores whatever the computer tells it so that's good enough. This isn't an audio fidelity thing, it's a sanity / 'extra safety' to protect my speakers.

For the most part, well implemented passive volume attenuation can be a good thing. You run your computer into your D/A at 100% (or a few db lower if you're resampling, or running certain kinds of dsp) and let the volume control happen in the analog domain.

Now, where it gets interesting is that 'technically', certain implementations of digital volume control that take place outside of the computer, on your actual D/A can be highly superior, even to a well built passive attenuator. This is one where you'll have to ask the designers / engineers behind your gear exactly how they've implemented things.

https://www.esstech.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/02/digital-vs-analog-volume-control.pdf

TL;DR

Analog volume controls easily outperform digital, unless the
digital control has access to the data path of the DAC

(ie is internal to the DAC)

Exquisitely well designed analog volume controls can still beat
even the very best internal digital volume controls if they have a
lower noise floor than the DAC itself

Sounds like Analog is the clear winner right?

The -135dB of the ESS Sabre DAC would need an exceptionally
low noise analog volume control to beat its internal digital one

Manfred

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2023, 10:42:36 am »

The manual of rme ADI-2 DAC FS has also an excellent chapter related to digital Volume control:
https://www.rme-audio.de/downloads/adi2dac_e.pdf
Page 63-64, chapter 31.14
WS (AMD Ryzen 7 5700G, 32 GB DDR4-3200, 2x2 TB SDD, LG 34UC98-W)-USB|ADI-2 DAC FS|Canton AM5 - File Server (i3-3.9 GHz, 16GB ECC DDR4-2400, 46 TB disk space) - Media Renderer (i3-3.8 GHz, 8GB DDR4-2133, GTX 960)-USB|Devialet D220 Pro|Audeze LCD 2|B&W 804S|LG 4K OLED )

eve

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2023, 11:04:45 am »

The manual of rme ADI-2 DAC FS has also an excellent chapter related to digital Volume control:
https://www.rme-audio.de/downloads/adi2dac_e.pdf
Page 63-64, chapter 31.14

Really well written actually. I'm gonna send that to people in the future.

bryant berry

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2023, 11:59:21 am »

thanks for info...there are always choices...my lil older bi frost and mani..are ok for my ole ears...0ne day ill own a mighty benchmark or myatech .....

bryant berry

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2023, 02:05:55 pm »

mr. manfred...that dac looks super....gotta listen what the manfred said....many thx...
Pages: [1]   Go Up