INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Phantom file  (Read 1537 times)

billinrio

• Junior Woodchuck
Phantom file
« on: March 09, 2023, 07:47:26 pm »

This occurs with both the Windows and the Mac versions of MC28:  a file entitled "Symphonies No. 1 & 2 by MAHLER" shows up whenever I open the program (see attachment).  When I attempt to locate the file the program informs me that it doesn't exist (see attachment).  I delete it, choosing "Remove from Media Library and permanently delete from disk".   It disappears momentarily and then returns just as before.  The longer that I wait to try to eliminate the file, the more iterations of it appear.

jmone

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I won! I won!
Re: Symphonies No. 1 & 2 by MAHLER shows up every time
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2023, 07:59:39 pm »

Weird - but this may work:

1) Create a smartlist that shows everything in the Data Base (~d=a)
2) Locate the problem files and delete them Note: If you add the Column called "FileDBLocation" you will see they are probably in a location called "Removed" so MC still knows about them but has marked them as "Removed".  By deleting from this list, MC will no longer know about them at all.
JRiver CEO Elect

billinrio

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2023, 08:25:40 pm »

Thanks very much for replying.  I've never worked with smartlists in MC, and I don't know what you mean by "(~d=a)". But I went to Playlists / New Smartlist, which I selected.  That produced an enormous list of files, none of which correspond to the "persistant" one the subject of the problem.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2023, 08:44:21 pm »

- Right Click on Smartlist --> Add Smartlist 
- Give it a name (like Everything)
- Press Import / Export and type (or paste in) ~d=a
- Press OK, then OK

You should now have a smartlist called "Everything" 

Click on the Smartlist and you will get a very big list of everything in your Database (be careful). 

Find the offending entries and delete them.  Refresh the view.  Try to find the offending entries, if they are still there then delete them a 2nd time.  They should be gone.
JRiver CEO Elect

billinrio

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2023, 10:03:02 pm »

Thanks for your admirably clear directions.  I followed them and was able to encounter the offending file.
Unfortunately, it doesn't disappear when I select it and execute the "delete" command, nothing happens. It stubbornly remains.
If I attempt to delete the entry directly above it the program asks if I really want to do so; the same is the case for the entry directly below it.
Very strange, indeed.  I refreshed the list, found the file again and once again it won't delete. So, when I go to my album listing, there it is again under "recent albums" (see attached screenshot).  I can toss it, but long experience tells me it will be back, my unwelcome guest.
I'm at a loss to know what to do.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2023, 10:26:19 pm »

Check auto import settings.   You must be importing a trash folder.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2023, 11:10:32 pm »

Very odd.  What happens if you try changing the Media Type to "Documents" (at least this will move the entry out of your Music Collection)
JRiver CEO Elect

billinrio

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2023, 11:16:08 pm »

Check auto import settings.   You must be importing a trash folder.

On Auto-Import settings, should "fix broken links" be set to "yes", "no", or does it matter?

billinrio

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2023, 11:18:13 pm »

Very odd.  What happens if you try changing the Media Type to "Documents" (at least this will move the entry out of your Music Collection)

Change the Media Type to "Documents" where?

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2023, 11:57:28 pm »

There are two ways.  With the item(s) selected you can either:
- Go to the Tag Window (bottom left) --> Advanced --> Media Type --> Click on "Audio" and pick "Document" from the drop down list , or
- Right Click on a Column Heading will bring up a range of fields --> scroll down to "Media Type" and check it (it should add this to you view).  You can edit these fields by pressing F2 OR a slow double click (if it is two fast it will try and play).  Change to Document from the drop down list.

This is not going to remove these entries but will put them under Document which I'm guessing you don't use anyway.
JRiver CEO Elect

billinrio

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2023, 09:30:51 am »

There are two ways.  With the item(s) selected you can either:
- Go to the Tag Window (bottom left) --> Advanced --> Media Type --> Click on "Audio" and pick "Document" from the drop down list , or
- Right Click on a Column Heading will bring up a range of fields --> scroll down to "Media Type" and check it (it should add this to you view).  You can edit these fields by pressing F2 OR a slow double click (if it is two fast it will try and play).  Change to Document from the drop down list.

This is not going to remove these entries but will put them under Document which I'm guessing you don't use anyway.

Thanks for staying with me on this.  Following your instructions, in "Recent Albums" I highlight the offending file and then go to the Tag Window at the bottom left.  There, no "Media Type" option appears.  So, I go to "Show All Tags" where a zillion options appear, beginning with "Access Rating" and ending with "Zone Last Opened".  But there is no "Advanced" option on this long list.  So, I need to try your second option, "Right Click on a Column Heading to bring up a range of fields".  But where is that?  To which "Column Heading" do you refer?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2023, 09:35:10 am »

Advanced should be there.  Click on the little black triangles to open and close sections of the tag window.

billinrio

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2023, 09:50:42 am »

Advanced should be there.  Click on the little black triangles to open and close sections of the tag window.

You are correct.  With a more thorough Tag search I find both "Media Type" (Audio/Data/Image/Playlist/TV/Video  and "Media Sub Type" (from "Adult" to "Workout"

I find no "Document" category, but one of the others should work as well by my choosing a category that I don't use.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2023, 10:11:18 am »

Try Data.

billinrio

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2023, 10:18:51 am »

Try Data.

I just did that very thing.  Now I'll wait to see whether the pesky file is finally gone from my MC experience.
I want to thank you once again for your kind and patient help with this.

..........  After 10 minutes the file has appeared once again in my album list. I had changed its category to "Data", but here it shows "Audio".
After changing its category to "Data", I deleted it.  Should I not have done that?

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2023, 02:13:43 pm »

It sounds like MC is reimporting it for some reason (I've no idea why).  If you leave it as data then (with luck) it should just sit in data and leave you alone.
JRiver CEO Elect

billinrio

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2023, 03:54:41 pm »

It sounds like MC is reimporting it for some reason (I've no idea why).  If you leave it as data then (with luck) it should just sit in data and leave you alone.

It appears to be my phoenix.  It has been following me through several iterations of Media Center. Well, shall  see ...

No ... after a short while our friend is now back.  I changed its Media Type from "Audio" to "Data" and it disappeared briefly, but after a short while it appeared again and its Media Type is once again "Audio".  So obviously, MC doesn't remember that I changed the Media Type of this phantom file.  I'm still stumped; still open to suggestions.

billinrio

• Junior Woodchuck
Phantom file
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2023, 11:01:25 pm »

For many years, I've renewed my master license and updated MC in spite of an irritating problem that no update has resolved.  I've posted about it several times and I've received a number of suggested fixes, none of which have worked.Here's the deal:  There's a phantom music file that keeps showing up on my album list.  When I try to locate it both on an external disk or in MC the program tells me that the file doesn't exist.  I delete it and it soon shows up again. 
Solving this problem shouldn't be rocket science for MC's creators, but they haven't (so far) been to solve this thing.
So, I no longer intend to upgrade MC until after this is solved.
I mention this on this thread because posting the problem in the "correct" place has never helped solve it.

JimH

• Administrator
Re: Phantom file
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2023, 12:47:37 am »

Is it in a cue file?

billinrio

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2023, 08:12:21 am »

I can't tell what it is.  It always shows up in "Recent Albums".
When I right-click on it  and then > Delete >On Disk ( inside Media Center) and  > On disk (External) I get the following:
FILE MISSING  The file " does not exist.
I can delete it, but it soon returns in "Recent Albums"
If I don't delete, it, it accumulates iterations.

I received a recommendation to change its "Media Type" to something other than "Audio", such as "Data" .  I tried to do s
but when it reappears its Media Type is once again "Audio".

AGAWA

• World Citizen
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2023, 09:58:13 am »

how about checking:
"Ignore files previously removed from library"
in : Library & Folders - Configure Auto Import

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2023, 10:00:28 am »

Can you figure out which folder import triggers it?  Try removing all the import folders and add back one at a time.

It has no filename, so I wouldn't expect anything to be finding it unless you have a CUE or link file that links into outer space.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

billinrio

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2023, 12:40:01 pm »

This occurs when I use either the Windows or the Mac versions of MC.
There may be a file name.  The message I receive states 
FILE MISSING  The file " does not exist.
So, perhaps " is a file name.
It may be a remnant of a .cue file. 

billinrio

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2023, 01:20:40 pm »

how about checking:
"Ignore files previously removed from library"
in : Library & Folders - Configure Auto Import

I did that, but it reappears in any case.

billinrio

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2023, 02:14:29 pm »

Is it in a cue file?

I suspect that it is indeed a .cue file because often, machine-generated .cue files mistakenly place the composer's name in the "Artist" category, as is the case here.

Pages: [1]   Go Up