INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DVD access from NAS  (Read 631 times)

Oldboy

DVD access from NAS
« on: March 10, 2023, 10:04:04 am »

I have had JRiver running my music from my NAS drive since 2014.  My Samsung TV has access to the NAS.  I want to put all my DVDs onto the NAS and include the disc navigation so that it shows on screen exactly as though the disk is running from a standard the DVD player.  I'm on version 25 at the moment.  So to be clear I want to control the DVD files from the NAS using my TV remote control.  Is that possible?

eve

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: DVD access from NAS
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2023, 10:19:28 am »

This is more of an HTPC thing. You can get really small clients if that's a concern. Kodi on Android can do discs over network IIRC.

JRiver in my experience has the best DVD and BDMV support. *Most* BDMVs work well enough to get what you want playing if it's title / chapter structure is cryptic and you're forced to dig into a menu.

Oldboy

Re: DVD access from NAS
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2023, 06:56:54 pm »

That’s encouraging. I tried to load DVDs onto NAS some years ago and it was a total failure. I could select individual files/scenes but couldn’t get a whole film to play. I think that was because I wasn’t using an appropriate ripping software. So I suppose the question becomes, will river rip DVDs for me or do I need to use something like bdpoweramp which is what I’ve used to rip my cds. My setup is windows pc running river connected via LAN to a RAID setup NAS. The TV is on the LAN and each device can communicate with the other. I have just run a test to confirm that when I have river running on the PC I can access the NAS music files on my TV by TV remote control or from JRemote on my iPad. JRemote is nicer. So I am again going to try ripping my DVD collection to jriver.
Do I need to upgrade to latest version and do I need to buy a ripping app or will jriver do that.
Pages: [1]   Go Up