INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC Slows down after a while  (Read 490 times)

forbigd

• Galactic Citizen
MC Slows down after a while
« on: March 11, 2023, 10:46:53 pm »

Hi all, I wonder if anyone knows a solution for MC slowing to a crawl....
We are using theater mode, and I have pages of icons representing tv series. Maybe 15 or 20 icons on one page.
Sometimes after playing for awhile, when we come back to the "menu", the response is very sluggish. Normally you can arrow right and left and it keeps up with you no matter what you do, but after a while you press "right" or "left" and wait until it finally moves the one space. It gets so bad you can't pick what you want. The movement of the icon graphically smears as it moves it can get so bad. If you quit MC and start it right back up all is fine "for awhile".
I rebuilt the pc with a new ssd trying to shake this slowdown, but it didn't help. It has done it since MC 29 or even 28.  The processor isn't being challenged. I run a CPU temp app and I check and it never gets really warm. When playing it never runs slow or acts like there is a problem. Back at the menu it acts like it isn't responding ...and then it does. Once in a while during playback, it will pause and jerk back and forth on a frame while the sound echoes the same bit and then the whole MC crashes, losing where we were (obviously). This seemed to get better (happening far less) after the rebuild. But the slow interface is still there. I thought it might be autoimport, but it does it whether auto import is on or off.

There has been an occasion where it ran most a day with no problems, but usually it occurs within a few hours. Just a restart of MC and all is fine. Any ideas of where to look? Searches for interface type slowdowns found nothing.

Thanks

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: MC Slows down after a while
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2023, 07:46:37 am »

I don't know why it's that way, but try this version:
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,135371.0.html

Are the files on a local drive?

comox

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2023, 01:22:32 pm »

Smells like a video driver problem to me. Try updating or reverting your video driver.

forbigd

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2023, 04:05:35 pm »

I don't know why it's that way, but try this version:
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,135371.0.html

Are the files on a local drive?

I was running .74... it has done it in versions 29 and 28.
Yes, the MediaCenter PC has no files of it's own.
It is a HP envy model desktop PC with no other apps but Chrome.
Fast i7, and a Nvidia 960 GTX. Rebuilt it from scratch on new ssd.
Windows 10.

I installed .76 and we will see.

Thanks

forbigd

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2023, 04:08:30 pm »

Smells like a video driver problem to me. Try updating or reverting your video driver.

Thanks, yes I have traced other issues to an old Nvidia driver, but this time it is a fresh install with the latest driver from NVidia.

I know this is a hard one, I have tried to beat it for a long time. I thought autoimport was it, but it is off now.

forbigd

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2023, 04:12:36 pm »

Could it have anything to do with the media being played?
Once, I was sure it was because I played a YOUTUBE video. I download them and play them off the server, could a rogue file cause this? I'll answer that before you all do, why not? Strange problems can have strange solutions.
What I find very interesting is a shutdown of MC and a restart fixes it. I am pretty old, and back in the day we might think "memory leak". But I see no evidence of that. I will test and if I fix it, I'll be back to share.

Thanks
Pages: [1]   Go Up