INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Playlists gone  (Read 818 times)

Captor

• Citizen of the Universe
Playlists gone
« on: March 13, 2023, 09:44:53 am »

Hi

Looks like all my playlists are gone since I fooled around with changing name on the folder containing the folders: Media center 26, Media center 28 and Cashe.
I was going to buy MC30 and wanted to change name on the folder containing this folders first.

The name before was J River in the Roaming folder and I wanted to change name to JRiver. I did that in Windows Explorer. I think that was a big mistake. I have tried to restore with no success.

Is there any way to find and save the playlists?
JRiver for music

Captor

Re: Playlists gone
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2023, 10:20:48 am »

I just remember I have some of the playlists in my android phone. Is it possible to import them back to JRiver?
JRiver for music

Captor

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2023, 11:21:47 am »

Which one is the original folder that is created by JRiver in the Roaming folder of Windows 10? Is it J River or JRiver? I am confused now. I have both.
Anyone, please?
JRiver for music

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2023, 01:13:57 pm »

It's "J River".

As you've learned, you shouldn't have done that!

It's important. The version folders within the "J River" folder contain, amongst other things, but most crucially, all of your Library database files.
When you install MC30, it will look in there for an existing library and bring that into MC30 as part of the installation process.

I imagine that when you launched MC after renaming the folder, it made you a new one, with a default library.

Here's what I would do, IF, and only if, all you did was rename the folder from "J River" to "JRiver".

Close MC completely.
Delete (or move) the "J River" folder.
Rename the "JRiver" folder back to "J River".
Relaunch MC.

Is everything now back as it should be?

Captor

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2023, 01:27:44 pm »

It's "J River".

As you've learned, you shouldn't have done that!

It's important. The version folders within the "J River" folder contain, amongst other things, but most crucially, all of your Library database files.
When you install MC30, it will look in there for an existing library and bring that into MC30 as part of the installation process.

I imagine that when you launched MC after renaming the folder, it made you a new one, with a default library.

Here's what I would do, IF, and only if, all you did was rename the folder from "J River" to "JRiver".

Close MC completely.
Delete (or move) the "J River" folder.
Rename the "JRiver" folder back to "J River".
Relaunch MC.

Is everything now back as it should be?

I tried that but it did not work. After my genius renaming MC hang all the time. So I uninstalled it and am now importing the library again. I guess I have to make new playlists from start. Or are the playlists stored someplace else too? In the MC Library backups for example?
JRiver for music

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2023, 01:36:55 pm »

They are. Did you try restoring from the latest automatic library backup btw?

I noticed above that said it didn't work, but you didn't expand on that. It makes me think you might have maybe done a little more than just rename that J River folder?

Anyhoo, you're starting from scratch again, so, here's what you can try...

Again, completely close MC.
Open a zip file containing a library backup. Be wary not to use one that was made a time after your folder renaming adventure.
Look for a file named "playlistx.jmd"
Take the file from the zip file and put it in your Library folder at "C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\J River\Media Center 30\Library" replacing the existing file. Restart MC.

Are they there?

Captor

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2023, 02:01:21 pm »

Dear Marko,

Yes I panicked and made it worse. I tried a backup file from another hard drive but that backup was from today so damaged as well.

I did already installed MC30 and also imported the library. And I noticed that there was a Library backup from today (again). And that is being used. So I will try to use the Library backup file prior to that. That I can do? I think it is 14 days before the one from today and that is fine. I will give that a try.

Your Back and Blue is working fine by the way with MC30. That is always my biggest worries :-)

JRiver for music

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2023, 02:33:03 pm »

Read the wiki on backup.

Search your drive for backup files.  Search for *.zip.

You can restore an MC29 backup to MC30.

Captor

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2023, 03:48:33 pm »

They are. Did you try restoring from the latest automatic library backup btw?

I noticed above that said it didn't work, but you didn't expand on that. It makes me think you might have maybe done a little more than just rename that J River folder?

Anyhoo, you're starting from scratch again, so, here's what you can try...

Again, completely close MC.
Open a zip file containing a library backup. Be wary not to use one that was made a time after your folder renaming adventure.
Look for a file named "playlistx.jmd"
Take the file from the zip file and put it in your Library folder at "C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\J River\Media Center 30\Library" replacing the existing file. Restart MC.

Are they there?
OK, I have done it now as per your description. The playlists seems to be there but when opening the different lists they are not complete. For example my Favorite list there are only artists from A to B. 
And other list which should contain only Van Morrison also contains other artists.
And some are empty.

And MC is hanging all the time. Also when I try to close down MC. I need to use ctrl+alt+del.

Do you have any idea on what that can be?
Maybe I should do it all over again? Uninstall, restart, install and copy "playlistx.jmd" before I start MC the first time after the installation?
JRiver for music

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2023, 03:54:37 pm »

Uninstalling and reinstalling won't do anything helpful.

Try older backups.

Captor

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2023, 03:59:20 pm »

Uninstalling and reinstalling won't do anything helpful.

Try older backups.
Or maybe a complete uninstall? I did not do that the first time. It said not to do that if doing a upgrade. So maybe try a clean installation?
JRiver for music

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2023, 04:42:59 pm »

Or maybe a complete uninstall? I did not do that the first time. It said not to do that if doing a upgrade. So maybe try a clean installation?
You never need to do that.  It has no effect.  Just install.

Captor

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2023, 07:30:02 pm »

Hi, OK now it works! I copied all the Library files and that helped. Thank you very much Marko and Jim!

Is the Tag field down to the left in the picture bigger in MC30? In MC28 it was smaller and that was better, I think. No need to see Playlists, File, Image, Playback and so on in a daily basis.  Then I can see more of the artists and when I wanted to se for example the playlists i could just scroll down. Please see picture. Is this a setting? I have tried to make it smaller but not succeed more than the picture is showing.
JRiver for music
Pages: [1]   Go Up