INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Controlling volume on DLNA  (Read 520 times)

Abbra Cadabra

• World Citizen
Controlling volume on DLNA
« on: March 19, 2023, 05:43:20 pm »

I recently received a stereo receiver with network and DLNA capabilities. I have been able to connect and control it through MC30 directly or using JRemote, Gizmo, and Panel.

Unfortunately controlling volume from any of these options, even MC30 directly, gives 'choppy' results with lots of lag. The volume moves erratically, jumping, stalling, and even reversing.

Is this normal behavior using DLNA, and if not, then what might be done to improve this?

I swear I am not here to drive you crazy!

eve

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Controlling volume on DLNA
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2023, 10:19:28 am »

I recently received a stereo receiver with network and DLNA capabilities. I have been able to connect and control it through MC30 directly or using JRemote, Gizmo, and Panel.

Unfortunately controlling volume from any of these options, even MC30 directly, gives 'choppy' results with lots of lag. The volume moves erratically, jumping, stalling, and even reversing.

Is this normal behavior using DLNA, and if not, then what might be done to improve this?

What receiver? You can *probably* tell the receiver to change it's volume outside of DLNA. IP or RS232 is going to be the most reliable, but if it only has IR, you can make that work too.

Abbra Cadabra

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2023, 12:01:22 pm »

What receiver? You can *probably* tell the receiver to change it's volume outside of DLNA. IP or RS232 is going to be the most reliable, but if it only has IR, you can make that work too.

Yes, I should have included that . . .
Onkyo TX-8050
I believe the Remote is IR as I can see it blinking in my phone's camera.

The receiver is not located conveniently to change the volume using the remote. I would prefer control through the computer using MC or JRemote on android.
I was unable to find anything in the Onkyo manual regarding IP control but will try to seek further info.

Thanks

eve

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2023, 12:12:18 pm »

Yes, I should have included that . . .
Onkyo TX-8050
I believe the Remote is IR as I can see it blinking in my phone's camera.

The receiver is not located conveniently to change the volume using the remote. I would prefer control through the computer using MC or JRemote on android.
I was unable to find anything in the Onkyo manual regarding IP control but will try to seek further info.

Thanks

I use an IR blaster that takes commands over network to control IR devices located inconveniently. IR is messy but at least this makes it suck less because IP control means ANYTHING can drive or control these devices.

Abbra Cadabra

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2023, 12:24:06 pm »

Thank you eve, I will explore the IR Blaster.

eve

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2023, 12:29:33 pm »

Thank you eve, I will explore the IR Blaster.

There's WiFi ones that are fine if you don't spam them, most are tied to some lame 'app' but you can occasionally figure it out and get full local control. The Zigbee ones don't need an app at all (obviously) and they're not 'that much' more.

Harmony has a Hub solution that works similarly and has the end user / consumer benefits that Harmony brings.

eve

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2023, 12:31:48 pm »

Back of your receiver has a 'remote in', this is either for 'IR' signals or RS232. Find out which. This will help you avoid some of the messiness of IR :)

If it's RS232 it'll probably let you send absolute values for volume instead of just up and down, meaning you can have a slider or knob drive it easily

Abbra Cadabra

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2023, 12:41:12 pm »

Ah, IR In and IR Out on the back panel.

You have certainly given me plenty to investigate and digest, but I at least have some direction(s) now.
Thanks again.

DJLegba

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2023, 02:36:25 pm »

If you decide to use an IR blaster avoid the BroadLink brand (which is the first that comes up on an Amazon search). I ordered one in 2019 and the Android app wanted all kinds of inappropriate permissions, including the ability to access the phone's IMEI info "to prevent theft". I have no idea if it worked because I did not install the app and returned the product to Amazon.

eve

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2023, 02:39:19 pm »

If you decide to use an IR blaster avoid the BroadLink brand (which is the first that comes up on an Amazon search). I ordered one in 2019 and the Android app wanted all kinds of inappropriate permissions, including the ability to access the phone's IMEI info "to prevent theft". I have no idea if it worked because I did not install the app and returned the product to Amazon.
Yeah, so I have a Broadlink Rm4, bought it since it seemed decent. I don't like it very much. You *can* avoid all of this in 2023, BroadLink Manager will help you set it up without the app. If an IoT device has an app as the only way to talk to it or set it up, throw it out unless you know how to work around it. Just give me a little http rest api or something and let me handle actually doing stuff.  ::)

With Broadlink Manager, you can set it up, have it connect to your Wifi (or your isolated IoT wifi network) and start working, however 'spamming' controls, like you would for volume is no bueno, it often times will overload itself or something (even if you play with the 'repeats' in the captured commands)

Tuya stuff is everywhere (even if it isn't branded Tuya). If it's wifi, it's garbage (local tuya kind of works, tasmota is spotty, though I haven't looked in a while, they may have sorted out the newer Tuya devices). Their Zigbee products, now those are solid. No apps or any bull**** to wade through, just hook it up to your ZigBee coordinator and you're off to the races. Hell, I use some of the lights with a Hue bridge and they work just fine.

I'll probably replace my IR system (just an ESP32) with a Crestron unit if I can work out programming it. They're like hilariously cheap since most people can't 'do' anything with them.

Pages: [1]   Go Up