INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Feature Request: Raise warning msg before user writes lyrics to multiple tracks  (Read 447 times)

markf2748

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe

I like the editor which is built into MC's audio lyrics tag (I don't use "Edit in Popup" since unfortunately it is modal, blocking the playback controls).  However, here's a scenario that has recently happened to me twice:

I'm adding lyrics (copy from web, followed by paste into MC's lyrics tag), editing them in the tag as I play through the album, one track at a time.  Suddenly, all tracks in the album have the same lyrics.  An hour or more of tedious work smoked in an instant, and furthermore the damage is not immediately detected and it cannot be undone AFAICT.  The root cause may well be (or not?) some careless click on my part, but there's no warning before it happens (I don't ever recall seeing all tracks selected).

Feature Request (or bug fix?):  Anytime a user is about to paste lyrics into multiple tracks at once, raise a warning pop up message with option to Cancel the operation before damage is done.

Thanks.

Windows 11 pro (64-bit)  MC 30.0.84

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?

Backup / Restore.  The wiki has a topic.

lepa

• MC Beta Team

Well there is a verification query from MC is one tries to change tags for many files when changing tags in standard view but apparently same mechanism isn't in use in Mark's use case. Action Window?

zybex

• MC Beta Team

I think the warning is only triggered for changes to more than 100 files, and it can be permanently disabled.
An undo would be nice for that :)
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,135282.0.html

markf2748

• MC Beta Team

Backup / Restore.  The wiki has a topic.
Thanks Jim.  My auto-backups occur once per day at 9:00 pm.  I was working in the evening (not mindful of the time) and just assumed the lyrics edits were not caught.  On further checking today, it turns out they were in fact saved and I have now restored them! :)

But this seems just too lucky and makes me wonder: is the event described here in some way linked to an auto-backup that occurred while I was editing?

Well there is a verification query from MC is one tries to change tags for many files when changing tags in standard view but apparently same mechanism isn't in use in Mark's use case. Action Window? 
I was working in Standard View with my usual multiple custom tabs.  I am typically viewing the Player in the Content Pane and horizontal splitter with tracks listed below, while editing lyrics in the Tag pane on the left.  The Tag pane can be opened from the Action Window, but I usually open it from a Custom Toolbar button, which I would expect to be equivalent.

I think the warning is only triggered for changes to more than 100 files, and it can be permanently disabled.
An undo would be nice for that :)
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,135282.0.html
Agreed for sure.  100 files is way too high a bar for raising the warning in my scenario.  <CTRL>+z for undo had no effect - it was the first thing I tried after realizing what happened.  At that point I had of course moved on to the next track. 

JimH

• Administrator

markf2748

• MC Beta Team

But this seems just too lucky and makes me wonder: is the event described here in some way linked to an auto-backup that occurred while I was editing?

No

Out of curiosity, I just looked at my [Date Tagged] time values for the restored tracks to which I had added lyrics last night.  Lo and behold, those times were listed between 8:34pm and 8:55pm yesterday evening (though I'd swear I was working on this for longer than 21 minutes).  In any case, the edits apparently sneaked in just before the 9:00 pm auto-update!  The reported event must have occurred at or shortly after 9:00 pm.  So Lady Luck played some role here, and as a user I cannot rule out simultaneity between additional lyric tag editing, auto-backup, and the reported event.

markf2748

• MC Beta Team

Happened again today in the middle of editing lyrics.  All lyrics tags for the album reset to the same text.  No idea why.

Win 11 Pro (64-bit)  MC 30.0.85

JimH

• Administrator

Lyrics in MC haven't changed in a year or so.

Are you selecting the album instead of the track?

markf2748

• MC Beta Team

Lyrics in MC haven't changed in a year or so.

Are you selecting the album instead of the track?
Thanks Jim - I am aware that selecting the album could cause the problem.  I am certainly not intentionally selecting the album.  For one thing, I've been working in a Player tab where I don't see any way to select the entire album without explicitly selecting all the tracks (in other tabbed views with normal album thumbnails, clicking a thumbnail effectively selects the entire album for tagging without highlighting all the tracks).

I often click around to Start / Pause / Resume Play and push around the position slider while editing lyrics, but that has never been a problem AFAIK.

I confirmed that none of the boxes are checked in Options > General > Online Metadata.

I suspect the issue may be related to editing in the Player tab while a track is playing.  Going forward I will (1) edit the lyrics field in a different tabbed view (2) keep a close eye on the [Name] and [Filename (name)] fields, under the assumption both change to [Varies] whenever the album is selected and (3) watch the message window at bottom of the window for single tracks.
Pages: [1]   Go Up