INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 'Album Artist' (encore)  (Read 1240 times)

Deivit

• Citizen of the Universe
  • I find your interest interesting...
'Album Artist' (encore)
« on: February 26, 2003, 10:05:25 am »

Still in MJ8 until MC9 is more stable ;D

I would like to take advantage of the "Album Artist" field present in MJ8 and will start to use it for my compilation tracks. I am also considering to re-tag all the tracks already in my library that belong to a "Multiple Artist". Currently all my tracks are tagged "à la KingSparta"(if I may say so)  ;)  i.e., using only the artist field for the performer and the name field for the tittle. This results in a huge amount of artists with only 1 or 2 songs (those whose album is a compilation). I think that the use of the "Album Artist" field will give me more versatilty in the useof view schemes and so.

Any way... I've done some research in the MC9 forum and found out that there has been an important controversy about the way MC9 handles the "Album Artist" thing. There is the automated system... firstly it seemed that the "Album Artist" field of MJ8 had ben taken out, though I understand that it was put back in later builds. However, despite of my research, I'm not quite sure as to what has been the final decission.

Since I'd like to start the re-tagging and it's a big library (circa 20.000 tracks), I would like to be sure that the "Album Artist" field in MC9 is the same that in MJ8 and would like toknow whether I could have some problem relating to it when upgrading the library from MJ8 to MC9.

Any advise and/or suggestion will be very much appreciated.

----
Listening to: 'Bad News Blues' from 'Arrival- Jazz/Concord (Disc 1)' by 'Herb Ellis / Joe Pass / Ray Brown / Jake Hanna' on Media Jukebox

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
Re: 'Album Artist' (encore)
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2003, 10:54:12 am »

Currently all my tracks are tagged "à la KingSparta"(if I may say so)

It depends if thats a good thing or a bad thing
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Cmagic

• Enjoying life with a little music....
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2003, 12:03:52 pm »

Hi Deivit,

A few build ago, MC9 'Album Artist' behaviour has changed in such a way that it now closely ressemble MJ8 behaviour.
If 'ALbum Artist is blank the 'Album ARtist (auto)' view scheme will display what's present in the 'Artist' field otherwise it will use what's in 'Album Artist'.

For example I have a tribute album to Bob Dylan by a bunch of different artists.
In good 'King's tagging practice' I have filled the Artist field with the performer name for each track and I have filled the 'Album Artist' field with, guess ?.. Bob Dylan.
That way this 'various artists' tribute to Zim is nicely listed among other 'single artist' Bob dylan albums.

An other use for 'Album Artist' is to group single tracks from various folks in a nice way.
For example if you have a lot of them with only one or two tracks you can group them by filling 'Album Artist' with 'Various Female Artists', 'Various Male Artists' and 'Various Instrumentals'
Now if you setup a view scheme such as you display Album Artist (auto)/Artist you'll end up with something like:

+Various Female Artists
 +Kate Bush
 +Blondie
 +Sarah Vaughan
+Various Male Artists
 +Tom Waits
 +Dire Straits
 +Woody Guthrie
+Various Instrumentals
 +Spyro Gyra
 +St Germain

isn't it a nice way to classify your one or two tracks artists ?

hope this helps a little.

Christian

---
Listening to: 'Baba O'Riley' from 'Who's Next' by 'The Who' on Media Center 9.0
Until the color of a man's skin is of no more significance
than the color of his eyes.
Bob Marley (War)

RemyJ

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2003, 12:05:35 pm »

After the change, I manually added an "Album Artist" field and started populating it.   MC has been respecting it and working fine.  I won't stake my life on it working when transferred from V8 but if MC didn't have a problem with me manually adding the field, I wouldn't think it would have a problem if the field came from V8.
Fedora 38 x86_64 Xfce

Deivit

• I find your interest interesting...
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2003, 12:17:11 am »

Thanks all for your comments.

Cmagic,
Thank you very much for your suggestions :)

King,

It depends if thats a good thing or a bad thing

It's just a matter of taste... and I think that the variety of tastes makes life more exciting ;)

Cheers,

drosoph

• MC Beta Team
  • TiVo-aholic
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2003, 08:52:23 am »

How does the field work now ?
It now shows up under the EXPANDED properties .. but ALL of mine are blank ! ...

I thought there was some sort of Auto-Populate ?
Pages: [1]   Go Up