INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can Play 4k Dune Movie on VLC but not on MediaCentre 30  (Read 1516 times)

Maltsters

• Junior Woodchuck
Can Play 4k Dune Movie on VLC but not on MediaCentre 30
« on: March 26, 2023, 11:14:46 am »

I recently uploaded a few UHD 4k movies and have had issues with two of them in MediaCenter 30.

First was UHD Dune, which when I tried to play in MC30, (click on Watch) and it just returns back to the menu. I have also tried to play is as a media file but it does not play anything and immediately returns to the main screen - there are no errors given. However, if I try to play it using VLC, it plays fine. I did create a log file which I can email, if it is helpful.

Second I uploaded UHD 1917, which when MC30 plays it, it has no sound. When I look at the streams, it shows 1 video stream and no audio streams. Again if I use VLC, it plays fine with sound and shows 4 audio streams.

Other UHD movies have uploaded and played fine.

Any ideas?

jmone

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I won! I won!
Re: Can Play 4k Dune Movie on VLC but not on MediaCentre 30
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2023, 03:41:16 pm »

Odd, just checked both these titles (original UHD BD rips imported into MC).  They played as expected in both Title and Menu mode and when playing in Title Mode I can see all the expected Video and Audio streams.

Best bet is to attach the Log File.
JRiver CEO Elect

TheShoe

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2023, 04:02:35 pm »

I've also no problem with playback, but mine are full UHD backups.

Are you using a container format, e.g. mkv or mp4?

Assuming other movies playback ok?
TV: LG OLED C1 83"
3D: LG OLED C6 65" (two) - madVR MVC->SBS
3D: Valve Index (using Media Center+MadVR) + Virtual Home Theater (Steam)
HTPC: Core i7, Win11, nVidia 3090RTX
Storage: 500TB Snapraid via SMB to Ubuntu 18 LTS server
Audio: exaSound e68 Multichannel USB DAC, Sonus Faber Speakers, REL Subx2
Video: HDMI 2.1/4K@120Hz, JRVR (2D), MadVR (3D), 7.1 Channel Audio into AMPs: Conrad Johnson 2/5 Channel Amps, Marantz av8805A PreAmp
Cables: Shotgun Interconnects, AudioQuest Cinnamon 48GB HDMI cables

Maltsters

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2023, 06:32:28 am »

@TheShow, @jmone
Yes everything else plays back. I only rip the main movie and not menus etc as an mkv.

After some digging the issue seems to be that movies with TrueHD audio streams (which both of these have) won't play - in fact wont even play the video either. However, if I re-rip them without the TrueHD stream, leaving the other audio streams (e.g. Surround 5.1) in place, it plays fine.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2023, 06:42:35 am »

What are you ripping with? We've not heard about such issues with MKV files before.

One common case where streams seem to be missing from MKV files is that those streams are marked as disabled in the MKV file. Many players ignore this and play them anyway, but we obey those flags and hide disabled streams.
Obviously I can't tell if this is the case for you, but its something that might be, and if you do your own ripping maybe you can check on that.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

Maltsters

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2023, 06:40:26 am »

@Hendrik

I am using Makemkv to rip the main movie only. VLC reports all of the audiostreams whereas MC30 did not even play the video.

All I did was remove the TrueHD from the rip in Makemkv and rip again and both movies played without issue.

zybex

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2023, 12:57:41 pm »

Maybe Bitstreaming is enabled but you have no device supporting TrueHD? I'm not sure what MC does in that case.

TheShoe

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2023, 01:37:27 pm »

@Hendrik

I am using Makemkv to rip the main movie only. VLC reports all of the audiostreams whereas MC30 did not even play the video.

All I did was remove the TrueHD from the rip in Makemkv and rip again and both movies played without issue.

You can use mkvtools to look at the mkv headers and see what is defaulted, or just open it in mkvtools and it'll show you additional information about the mkv.  i think those movies are TureHD+Atmos.

Try turning off bitstreaming and see if MC converting to PCM makes any difference.

Are those the only two TrueHD movies you have?

Just thinking how you could eliminate that as a suspect....
TV: LG OLED C1 83"
3D: LG OLED C6 65" (two) - madVR MVC->SBS
3D: Valve Index (using Media Center+MadVR) + Virtual Home Theater (Steam)
HTPC: Core i7, Win11, nVidia 3090RTX
Storage: 500TB Snapraid via SMB to Ubuntu 18 LTS server
Audio: exaSound e68 Multichannel USB DAC, Sonus Faber Speakers, REL Subx2
Video: HDMI 2.1/4K@120Hz, JRVR (2D), MadVR (3D), 7.1 Channel Audio into AMPs: Conrad Johnson 2/5 Channel Amps, Marantz av8805A PreAmp
Cables: Shotgun Interconnects, AudioQuest Cinnamon 48GB HDMI cables

Maltsters

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2023, 09:19:54 am »

@zybex I have just checked my MC30 and bitstreaming is not enabled.

I also recently ripped Whiplash and got the same issue. Again removing the TrueHD sound track sorted it. In all cases, these have played fine in VLC, so the appropriate tracks are present. It just appears that MC30 won't play Video or Audio (just plays the next film instead).

Maltsters

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2023, 09:47:53 am »

@TheShoe

Thanks for the suggestion, I am not familiar with mkvtools but will have a look and re-rip one of the films to investigate.

As mentioned above, I also had this issue with Whiplash UHD in addition to 1917 and Dune.

I have never had this issue on HD blu-ray only on some 4K UHD discs. I have 8 UHD discs and had this issue with 3 of them.

The original rip included TrueHD Surround 7.1 (I do not have a surround sound system) as well as DTS-HD MA Surround 5.1 and DD surround 5.1, which when re-ripped without it played fine.

However, other films such as, James Bond No Time to Die, I have noticed also have TrueHD surround 7.1 Dolby Atmos and they play fine.

So I am at a loss, these are UK Region UHD Discs.

Ones that worked with TrueHD are: Top Gun Maverick, No time to Die, Dunkirk, Le Mans 66.

I should re-rip one of those that did not play with TrueHD and try again, to see if there was a ripping error - though VLC played them fine.

I will report back the result

Maltsters

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2023, 11:26:52 am »

I have just re-ripped Whiplash with TrueHD track and can confirm that the movie does not play on MC30 Windows version.

However, I then tried to play it on MC30 Linux and it does play. Though when I try to watch any film on Linux MC30 it plays slowly and stuttery and I don't get any sound. But at least it doesn't crash.

eve

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2023, 11:38:25 am »

I don't have a UK Dune or Top Gun to check. However, for both of those films I *believe* there's only 1 video track floating around (used on all the UHD physical releases). This is super weird, it's gotta be something to do with how you're ripping these. Can you try a fresh install of MakeMKV maybe?

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2023, 06:42:54 pm »

I'm not aware of any issues with playing of MKV files, or with TrueHD in general. So this sounds rather weird to me, as its the first time hearing of rips from MakeMVK failing to play in any fashion.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2023, 07:42:54 pm »

Try ripping with MC's inbuilt MKV option - see if that works (then it may be some MakeMKV setting).
JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2023, 07:44:05 pm »

...or else cut off the first 20sec as a sample and post a link to it.
JRiver CEO Elect

Maltsters

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2023, 09:33:35 am »

Okay, update...

@eve @Hendrik @jmone So I tried to use the inbuilt MKV option on MC30 for Linux but got the error that MakeMKV wasn't installed... even though it is, since that is the version I usually rip from...any ideas why MC30 isn't seeing MakeMKV on Linux?

I then went to a Windows Machine and tried to rip using MC29 with inbuilt MakeMKV but it just hung when trying to load the disc.

I installed MC30 and this time it ripped the disc, though slowly.

This rip played fine on the Windows MC30 machine that the original one would not play. This suggests that using Makemkv by itself is causing an issue somehow. However, in all cases VLC could always play the mkv, even when MC30 could not.

It would be good if I could get the inbuilt Makemkv integration to work on the Linux machine, since that is the one I normally use.

eve

« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2023, 09:36:27 am »

Okay, update...

@eve @Hendrik @jmone So I tried to use the inbuilt MKV option on MC30 for Linux but got the error that MakeMKV wasn't installed... even though it is, since that is the version I usually rip from...any ideas why MC30 isn't seeing MakeMKV on Linux?

I then went to a Windows Machine and tried to rip using MC29 with inbuilt MakeMKV but it just hung when trying to load the disc.

I installed MC30 and this time it ripped the disc, though slowly.

This rip played fine on the Windows MC30 machine that the original one would not play. This suggests that using Makemkv by itself is causing an issue somehow. However, in all cases VLC could always play the mkv, even when MC30 could not.

It would be good if I could get the inbuilt Makemkv integration to work on the Linux machine, since that is the one I normally use.

Can you try using the standalone MakeMKV application?
Why don't you post the MediaInfo output for each file you've generated while attempting to rip this.

Maltsters

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2023, 10:20:00 am »

@eve When I used the standalone Makemkv, those were the ones I could not play via MC30.  Curiously, some of them would play on MC30 for Linux but not Windows.

When you mention posting the MediaInfo Output, I am not sure what you are referring to, is this the list of audio and video tracks listed in the Makemkv selection Window just prior to ripping or do you mean something else? I am certainly not an expert on this, even though i have been using MC since version 14

bogdanbz

• World Citizen
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2023, 12:53:49 pm »

He means using the tool MediaInfo found at this link: https://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo to print data about the files that you generated with MakeMKV and which fail to play.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2023, 03:33:15 pm »

If the rip done directly with MakeMKV has issues and the one via MC (which is just a front end of MakeMKV) works, then it is likely just a setting that needs to be changed.  A MediaInfo dump of both would certainly help see what is different between the two files.
JRiver CEO Elect

Maltsters

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2023, 08:43:09 am »

Thanks for these suggestions.

I will spend a bit of time over the weekend comparing Makemkv configs and ripping discs to see if I can better isolate the issue.

Hopefully, I will be able to report back next week with some results.

Maltsters

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2023, 10:50:47 am »

Okay Update, I get the same results whether I use the inbuilt Makemkv integration or Makemkv by itself.

However, I get different results depending on whether the rip on Linux or Windows versions of Makemkv. MC30 can play the Windows rip but crashes out when trying to play the linux rip.

The only difference I can see is in the Dolby True HD audio track, which explains when why I rip without it, it plays fine.

On the Windows machine rip, Mediainfo states is as: English, 2080 kb/s, 48.0 kHz, 24 bits, 8 channels, MLP FBA 15-ch (Dolby TrueHD with Dolby Atmos) Surround 7.1

On the rip from Linux we get: English, 2080 kb/s, 48.0 kHz, 24 bits, 8 channels / 1 channel, MLP FBA 15-ch (Dolby TrueHD with Dolby Atmos) Surround

So in linux we have the extra / 1 channel and there is not a 7.1 after surround.

I suspect from here-on-in, this is probably best addressed via the Makemkv forum. Though it is still interesting that MC30 crashes the playback but VLC is fine with it.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2023, 10:53:17 am »

That sounds rather weird, that a rip done on linux would have such trouble. But the MediaInfo information also looks weird. Could you make a small cut from the beginning of the file, maybe with a binary splitter like https://files.1f0.de/dgsplit12.zip ? (just select input and output, and set chunk size to something reasonable, maybe 50mb, then confirm the resulting file also breaks)
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

Maltsters

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2023, 09:34:12 am »

@Hendrik I have tried with 40, 70, 120 and 350 MB splits and I am struggling to understand the results

If I take the Linux Makemkv rip, neither the rip nor any of the splits will play on JRMC30 for Windows. It either crashes out, or I get the "Something went wrong with playback" and for for the 350MB cut I get "Something went wrong with Playback ..... The file does not contain any audio".  However, as mentioned previously, if it was ripped using Makemkv on Windows, it plays.

However, they do play on JRMC30 for Linux and VLC (both on Linux and Windows) and Celluloid (Linux) and do have a sound track.

If you need to me upload a cut somewhere, please be aware that my internet uplink speed is only 700 kb/s - part of rural living in the UK I am afraid.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2023, 04:38:50 pm »

Try uploading the smallest one.
JRiver CEO Elect

Maltsters

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2023, 03:06:51 am »

I tried uploading but the upload fails, and notice statement that max of 5000 KB filesize is the limit.

Anywhere else I can upload to?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2023, 05:10:11 am »

Ask Google.

Maltsters

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2023, 06:06:23 am »

I solved this by updating ffmpeg in linux, the version packaged with Makemkv was obviously not very recent

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2023, 11:58:31 am »

Thanks for reporting that.
Pages: [1]   Go Up