INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Latency streaming Tidal  (Read 303 times)

Amfibius

• Recent member
Latency streaming Tidal
« on: April 02, 2023, 12:31:35 pm »

I am suffering from pretty severe latency issues :(

I am using BubbleUPNP to stream Tidal from my Android tablet to my Windows PC. In Windows, I use JRiver as a DLNA endpoint with its built-in convolver. With this setup, wi-fi streams to the tablet, which then streams to the PC, where it goes into JRiver for convolution. I have no choice but to do this, because I have not found a way to make Tidal's Android app control Tidal on the PC! It takes 10-15 seconds between issuing a command on the tablet to sound output from the speakers. This latency only occurs on track change. It does not occur with volume adjustment which maybe has a 1/2 second latency.

The latency issue also occurs on the desktop, but it is much less severe. When playing music on the PC, I use the Tidal app to output to JRiver, which uses its convolution engine before output to the DAC. I have a Merging 8 channel DAC, and the PC talks to the DAC via Merging's Ravenna ASIO driver. I have noticed that every time I change track, JRiver has to handshake the DAC before anything happens. I know this because Merging's ASIO driver pops up a little window to let me know that the handshake was successful.

If I use JRiver to play local files, everything is really quick. Track changes occur immediately without having to handshake the DAC after each track change.

I don't know how to determine where the bottleneck is, without going on a merry go round trying different software to reduce the latency :( At the moment, my theory is that there are two sources for the bottleneck:

- Having Tidal stream into the tablet first and then re-streamed into the PC is probably contributing to latency. This is not JRiver's fault. I have already taken it up with Tidal for not providing better functionality.
- Having Tidal on Windows go through JRiver's convolution engine might be contributing. JRiver only wants to handshake the DAC after each track change with streaming, and not with local files. Is there a setting that I missed?

(edit) I am using MC 29 on Windows 11.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Latency streaming Tidal
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2023, 12:56:37 pm »

Take a look at the DLNA Server settings.  You may be converting formats, and depending on how powerful the server is, it might take a while.

Amfibius

• Recent member
Re: Latency streaming Tidal
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2023, 01:42:01 pm »

Thank you, I will try that.

Any idea why JRiver wants to handshake the DAC after every track?
Pages: [1]   Go Up