INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRiver MC30 slows down on old Windows 7 laptop  (Read 641 times)

Fitou

JRiver MC30 slows down on old Windows 7 laptop
« on: April 02, 2023, 03:29:37 pm »

Hello,

I enjoy using JRiver for several years now and I exclusively play audio files, mostly FLAC, with it. The laptop is a dedicated one for my audio usage and it is an "old" HP Pavilion DV6 still running Windows 7 with 8 Go of RAM. The files (almost 1 To) are located on an external self-powered recent USB disk.

I cannot update to Win 10 (I tried but there are no hp drivers for this PC) and that is perhaps what causes the following issue: I have recently observed - I think it started when I moved to MC29 - that after being operated for a few hours, suddenly, the program becomes extremely slow in reacting to the mouse scrolls or when I select a particular album to play. When I first run the program, say in the morning, everything is fluid and extremely fast. Then, after a few hours, should I try to scroll down or explore another branch of the artist selection tree, everything becomes suddenly horribly slow to a point where I can't use the program anymore. If I start the Windows monitoring tool, it does not show an excessive usage of RAM but JRiver tops the processor consumption chart and blocks the whole thing. If I kill the program, I have control back but still, can't do anything with the computer. A reboot is necessary and I start all over again.

I could certainly get rid of this PC and try another one but I like to make things last and this 17" PC is in good shape so I would like to keep it. Since I only use the audio engine of JRiver, what could you kindly suggest to turn all the unused features off - if possible - to check that it is not one of these features that suddenly reacts and hangs the whole thing, like trying to search on Internet or run an index in the background. Let me know if you need datalog from the program and I will submit here for your comments. Thank you!

Fitou -

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: JRiver MC30 lagging big time on my Windows 7 laptop
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2023, 01:23:50 am »

Antivirus?
Pages: [1]   Go Up