INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Question about the "Short" tag (for Video files)  (Read 369 times)

macdonjh

• Citizen of the Universe
Question about the "Short" tag (for Video files)
« on: April 07, 2023, 08:19:08 pm »

I just ripped several cartoons, which I saved where all my TV Show files are stored and <imported> into my Library.  The data base didn't find when I tagged them as Video -> TV Show and then used <Get Movie & TV Data>.  When I re-tagged them as Video -> Short, they were found by the data base.  What's weird is they don't appear in the Tree.  This is after a day, so there's been plenty of time for my Library to update itself and display everything.

So this begs the question: does Media Center display files <tagged> "Short" in a different place in the Tree than Shows?  All the video files I have tagged "TV Show" appear in the Tree under Video -> Shows.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Question about the "Short" tag (for Video files)
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2023, 12:58:40 am »

Try setting the tag called Media Subtype.

zybex

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2023, 04:48:04 am »

Video -> Shows obviously only shows files tagged as "TV Show". "Short" is just another tag, filtered out on that view. Just change the tag back to "TV Show" after doing the Get TV&Movie Info if you want them to show up there. Or change the View filter to also include "Short" subtype.

macdonjh

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2023, 08:47:10 am »

Video -> Shows obviously only shows files tagged as "TV Show". "Short" is just another tag, filtered out on that view. Just change the tag back to "TV Show" after doing the Get TV&Movie Info if you want them to show up there. Or change the View filter to also include "Short" subtype.

I thought of that, but now I know about some of the inner workings of Media Center.

macdonjh

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2023, 09:27:58 am »

I think I am on the right track, but I've run into an obstacle I can't get around.

I went to View -> Customize View -> Included Files -> Set Rules for File Display

I used <add rule> and used Set Media Sub-type, but the only choices were "TV Show" and "empty".  How do I add "Short" to the list of available tags to use for inclusion/ sorting?

zybex

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2023, 11:02:35 am »

Instead of adding a new rule, just select both "TV Show" and "Short" on the dropdown for the first rule.

Adding a second rule would make it "include files having MediaSubType=TVShow AND MediaSubType=Short". Since a file can only have one or the other, not both, that would result in an empty view. MC is preventing you from making that mistake :)

macdonjh

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2023, 01:18:10 pm »

Duh, it's not like MC developers didn't use the square check-box, the universal symbol for "check all that apply".  :P  Thanks, Zybex.  Now I'll have to go back through the SmartLists I've created and see if I created multiple rules for filtering when a single rule with multiple criteria would have sufficed.

The Wiki article appears to be out of date.  It refers to View -> Control Access...  Is there a way for users to update Wiki articles, or submit recommended updates for review by the MC team?  I'd be happy to write something for this case.
Pages: [1]   Go Up