INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MQA in Administration (Bankruptcy)  (Read 1108 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
MQA in Administration (Bankruptcy)
« on: April 08, 2023, 03:50:30 am »

From whathifi.com:

"MQA Ltd, the company behind the MQA digital music technology, is going into administration.

"We don't have many details at the moment, and it's uncertain if the firm's partnership with Tidal – which uses MQA technology to enable its 'hi-res' audio streams – will be affected. But we do know that MQA Ltd is seeking a buyer and has undergone a restructuring process.

"The full statement from MQA reads as follows: "

"Following the recent positive reception to MQA’s latest technology (SCL6), there has been increased international interest in buying MQA Ltd. At the same time, MQA’s main financial backer is seeking an exit. In order to be in the best position to pursue market opportunities and expedite this process, the company has undergone a restructuring initiative, which includes entering into administration and is comparable to Chapter 11 in the US.

https://www.whathifi.com/news/mqa-is-going-into-administration

dtc

• MC Beta Team
Re: MQA in Administration (Bankruptcy)
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2023, 08:19:49 am »

It is a little complicated. MQA may want to sell off part of the company (MQAir - now SLC6). MQA tried to get MQair integrated into Bluetooth but failed. Hence MQAir may not be successfully for MQA and they want to sell it. To sell SLC6 they have to go through Administration, which is like bankruptcy in the US. Once SLC6 is sold, then the core MQA would be the main product. After MQAir was rejected by Bluetooth, one of the major investors resigned from the Board and is probably pulling their funding out the company.  Tidal is a major supporter of MQA and may want to buy them.

This is a somewhat complicated development but does not necessarily indicate that the core MQA technology will disappear, especially with Tidal's interest in it. MQA Tidal is owned by Square, a mobile payments company.

https://www.ecoustics.com/news/mqa-bankruptcy/

syndromeofadown

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2023, 12:49:13 am »

If MQA bankrupt, who will fold the music?

It appears Tidal is going hi res flac which looks like it will replace their MQA. I have noticed much less MQA DACs as of recent which is a sign that customers do not care about it. It was likely consumer demand that fueled the little surge in MQA dacs a while back. I have still never heard MQA, and suspect I never will.

EnglishTiger

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2023, 03:49:58 am »

MQA is owned by Square, a mobile payments company.

It's Tidal that is owned by Square not MQA
Win NUC - VENOEN 11Th NUC Mini PC Core i7 1165G7,Dual HDMI 2.0+Mini DP,Windows 11 Mini Desktop Computer,Thunderbolt 4.0,1 Lan, USB-C,Wifi,Bluetooth 5.0,32GB RAM Toshiba MQ04ABF100 ‎500Gb 5400 RPM ‎eSATA HD, Gigabyte GP-GSM2NE3512GNTD 1Tb NVMe SSD, Samsung 870 QVO 8 TB SATA 2.5 Inch SSD (MZ-77Q8T0) in Sabrent Ultra Slim USB 3.0 to 2.5-Inch SATA External Aluminium Hard Drive Enclosure (EC-UK30)

Apple 2020 Mac mini M1 Chip (8GB RAM, 512GB SSD)
Sabrent Thunderbolt 3 to Dual NVMe M.2 SSD Tool-Free Enclosure with Sabrent 2TB Rocket NVMe PCIe M.2 2280 High Performance SSD + Crucial P3 Plus 4TB M.2 PCIe

ET Skins & TrackInfo Plugins - https://englishtiger.uk/index.html

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2023, 07:39:37 am »

It's Tidal that is owned by Square not MQA

Correct. My careless mistake. Square owns Tidal and there is speculation that they will also buy MQA. Corrected text above.

Thanks.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2023, 05:29:51 am »

Tidal is now offering Lossless FLAC.  Much better idea than MQA.
JRiver CEO Elect

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2023, 08:53:46 am »

Tidal has offered flac for a long time. Are you saying they are adding new titles in flac and not in MQA?

Edit :  Tidal announced this week that they will offer high resolution lossless content which previously has been only offered in MQA. So, it seems like the change is to offer high resolution lossless content. No comment on winding down MQA, but that would be the assumption.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/tidal-hi-res-lossless/

MQA was predicated on offering high resolution content over a limited bandwidth distribution system. But, with the bandwidth available today, its value proposition does not offer much to most people.
Pages: [1]   Go Up