INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Saving stereo FLAC files as mono FLAC  (Read 573 times)

Kirky69

• Recent member
Saving stereo FLAC files as mono FLAC
« on: April 13, 2023, 02:43:03 am »

Hi folks,
I've searched for threads relating to stereo to mono conversion and I don't think the hits quite deal with what I'm hoping to do. Over the years I have rebuilt my speakers from the cross-overs forward, and as a consequence I have several drivers and cross-over components that are surplus to requirement. I also have a big CD collection ripped as FLACS and a number of downloaded high res files that I play using MC through my stereo. I plan to build a good-sounding 3-way portable boombox using my spare components and an Arylic plate amp and play music stored as files on my mobile device; I don't want to stream music or use MC to feed the box via wifi. This would be effectively a single speaker with the bass driver taking on the function of a sub. So, what I suspect I need to do is to store and play mono files. My expertise in getting this contraption playing once I've made it are rather limited, so replies to my queries using monosyllables would be appreciated!
So, I'm aware that Android could handle the down-mixing of a stereo file to mono, but I suspect that I could get better quality if I were to convert the stereo files that I already have into mono files and save them to my device for playback. I've had a look at file conversion in MC but I'm unsure as to the best settings to use. Threads I've seen on the forum talk about mono playback of stereo files through MC and they don't seem to be relevant as that is not what I plan to do. I mentioned that I would like to save the mono files as FLAC, but this may be overkill or a silly idea, so I'm open to a better format if there is one.
PK

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Saving stereo FLAC files as mono FLAC
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2023, 08:11:52 am »

You can just leave the files as they are and use MC's DSP Studio to output files in one channel.

Kirky69

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2023, 04:21:43 pm »

Thanks JimH! How is that accomplished by MC, an average of L+R, just L+R or what?
PK

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2023, 12:49:31 am »

Player Menu > DSP Studio > Output Format > Channels.  Change it to "1 channel (mono)".

The wiki or a Google search are a good way to find information you need.  Just add "JRiver" to the Google search.
Pages: [1]   Go Up