INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Media Network, DLNA settings  (Read 1328 times)

dmitch77

• World Citizen
Media Network, DLNA settings
« on: April 18, 2023, 05:21:34 pm »

I'd like to understand some Media Network settings so I can minimize open ports and network resource usage.

I have a homogeneous environment consisting of only JRiver software on Apple hardware. Multiple instances of MC, all sharing one library; one JRemote on an iPad, controlling them all.

I'm curious about the 3 DLNA settings: Server, Renderer, Controller. I understand that for one instance of MC to play to another instance (i.e., that "other" MC instance is a zone other than the local "Player"), DLNA Renderer has to be enabled on the remote instance - correct?

Do any other JRiver-only operations use any of the DLNA modes (Server, Renderer, Controller)? E.g. does JRemote see MC as a DLNA controller, or is JRemote itself a DLNA controller? "DLNA Server" is not used to share a library between instances of MC, correct?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Media Network, DLNA settings
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2023, 11:21:03 pm »

It should only require Library Server running, and none of the DLNA components.

Network usage is trivial though.  There's no reason to be concerned.

dmitch77

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2023, 12:35:58 am »

It should only require Library Server running, and none of the DLNA components.

If I want to play from one MC on host A to another MC on host B as a zone, that uses DLNA, right? Host A needs to be a DLNA controller, and host B needs to be a DLNA renderer...correct?

Network usage is trivial though.  There's no reason to be concerned.

I just like to really understand what is happening on my network and know what ports and services are open, and why.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2023, 10:56:55 am »

Library Server is JRiver's method of sharing.  It's different than DLNA. 

dmitch77

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2023, 11:18:55 am »

Library Server is JRiver's method of sharing.  It's different than DLNA.

I understand that. Now I'm asking about playing to another instance of MC as if it were a zone. I believe that that has nothing to do with Library Server. It uses DLNA, is that right?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2023, 11:37:58 am »

When you're playing from a server, it can use Library Server or a DLNA Server.

When you're playing to a device, it's probably using DLNA, but I'm not certain.

And let's end this here.  If you want to know more than I do, that's easy.  Just get a sniffer and watch the network traffic.

You're asking for fine enough detail that it's not productive to continue.

Veniamin

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2023, 07:16:45 am »

Friends, hello. In my attempt to use this forum, I feel like an idiot because I cannot understand your communication logic. I need to ask a question to the administrator regarding the configuration of the DLNA server, but I don't understand where to write this letter. I would appreciate it if you could tell me here or by mail (vkhazanov@mail.ru). Now about the problem I am trying to solve. I am using MS25 on a Mac (OS 10.15.7) to play music files via streamer and preamplifier Teac NT505. When I connect the Mac to Teac via USB in core audio mode, I see at the NT505 display the correct input file format (Flac PCM 44.1 kHz, 16 Bit; PCM 96 kHz, 24 Bit; PCM 192 kHz, 24 Bit; DSD 64; DSD 128 and so on.) and then this file is played (as I se on the display) either in this format or with reformatting and upsampling, depending on the settings on the NT505. However, when I connect the Mac via network access through the LAN wire, I see the incoming PCM 44.1 kHz, 16 Bit files as MP3 44.1 kHz files and they are played as PCM 44.1 kHz. Files with a higher bitrate (PCM or DSD) are seen on the input as MP3 48 kHz. In DSD Studio I did not use any settings. What should I change to see my files in true format over the Internet?

Veniamin

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2023, 11:29:43 pm »

Friends, hello. In my attempt to use this forum, but feel myself an idiot because I cannot understand your communication logic. Where to write my question, how to open a discussion? I need to ask a question to the administrator regarding the configuration of the DLNA server, but I don't understand where to write this letter. I would appreciate it if you could tell me here or by mail (vkhazanov@mail.ru). Now about the problem I am trying to solve. I am using MS25 on a Mac (OS 10.15.7) to play music files via streamer and preamplifier Teac NT505. When I connect the Mac to Teac via USB in core audio mode, I see at the NT505 display the correct input file format (Flac PCM 44.1 kHz, 16 Bit; PCM 96 kHz, 24 Bit; PCM 192 kHz, 24 Bit; DSD 64; DSD 128 and so on.) and then this file is played (as I see on the display) either in this format or with reformatting and upsampling, depending on the settings on the NT505. However, when I connect the Mac via network access through the LAN wire, I see the incoming PCM 44.1 kHz, 16 Bit files as MP3 44.1 kHz files and they are played as PCM 44.1 kHz. Files with a higher bitrate (PCM or DSD) are seen on the input as MP3 48 kHz. In DSD Studio I did not use any settings. What should I change to see my files in true format over the Internet?

doctorjazz

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2023, 03:22:57 pm »

Hi,, I'm not sure this is where to post (usually the case when I'm using this forum), but here goes. 22
My PC is in an upstairs room, with some external hard drives that have a lot of high resolution music files (24/293, SACD, etc). My stereo is dowstairs. I have a Technics SL-G700 SACD player, that's also supposed to be a streamer and server; it streams well (wired connection to router), but never sees the external hard drives I connect. I've tried to get the music from the PC to the Technics setting up Zones on the PC, and it seems to work when I control it from the PC (but that's a bit of a pain). I downloaded JRemote2 to my Android phone, and I'm able to play through the Technics using it, but I seem to be limited to 320 MP3 using it (it seems to connect using Chromcast, which I'm guessing is where the limitation is). I've also tried using JRiver 31 on a MacBook Pro, which would resolve the issue-it sees the music on the hard drives upstairs, and sees the Technics, but when I try getting music to play in the living room over the speakers from the MacBook, I get silence, Any idea what I'm missing here? I do notice the difference in sound quality using the phone mp3 files.
Thanks for any help.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2023, 12:41:04 am »

Your Technics device seems to be unable to serve what's on the connected drives via DLNA.  Take a look at their manual.

Or connect the drives to your PC and import the files into MC.

MC's DLNA server can be set to convert or not.  Edit the server settings and choose no conversion.
Pages: [1]   Go Up