INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is This Email Legitimate? [Yes, it is]  (Read 1400 times)

thecaretaker1

• Recent member
Is This Email Legitimate? [Yes, it is]
« on: April 20, 2023, 05:33:37 pm »

I've just had an email saying:

Good day,
You can now pre-order a JRiver Media Center 31 upgrade license at the very best price of the year  --  28% off on a regular single OS upgrade or Master License upgrade.  Prices are below.  This sale will end April 28th.

And, by the way, this is our 25th year providing highly regarded digital media software for Windows, Linux, MacOS, Android, and iOS.  Thanks to you!  And thanks to our great team!

Each cycle, we offer a very special pre-order discount as we begin development of the next version.  JRiver Media Center 31 will be available in a few weeks.  Initial builds will improve on MC30, and will continue to improve throughout the cycle.   All minor updates (31.0.15 to 31.0.20, for example) are free.  The MC31 license is permanent for MC31.  It also works with MC30.0.91 or higher.

I purchased MC 30 early in September 2022. Surely you are not making users upgrade again so soon?

The links in the email look genuine. But is this a scam? It doesn't show my email address in the To: section of Mozilla Thunderbird, but it shows mlistp at listserver.jriver.com

Normally, an email upgrade offer from you is accompanied with a forum post on here. Something doesn't seem right. If you do expect users to upgrade so frequently, you can forget it. 

wvangaa

Re: JRiver Media Center 31 upgrade license
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2023, 06:10:48 pm »

Well, if it's a scam, I fell for it.

I used paypal and and the receipt comes back from JRiver.com and a new license was issued.

thecaretaker1

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2023, 06:23:17 pm »

Well, if it's a scam, I fell for it.

I used paypal and and the receipt comes back from JRiver.com and a new license was issued.

I think we need an explanation from JRiver then. 7 days left before the offer expires and does this mean we have to wait 5-6 months before MC 31 is released?

uncola

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2023, 08:04:44 pm »

it's not a scam, it's jrivers normal development pace.  one cool thing about jriver, even if you don't upgrade from 30 to 31, next year you can upgrade from 30 to 32 for the same cheap price of about 20 bux.  I mean.. it's a lot cheaper than roon

antenna

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2023, 08:48:41 pm »

it's not a scam, it's jrivers normal development pace.  one cool thing about jriver, even if you don't upgrade from 30 to 31, next year you can upgrade from 30 to 32 for the same cheap price of about 20 bux.  I mean.. it's a lot cheaper than roon

This email seems to be the typical upgrade cycle since, well, years.

It is an early notification of a future update.

Is the email itself a scam?

But back to what I think may be the concern of the OP.

JRiver seems to update MediaCenter on a regular basis.

The initial email sent out about those upgrades typically precedes the actual upgrade by weeks (months?).  I honestly do not remember the lead time from the receipt of the initial new-version upgrade email, and when I want to upgrade.

OK... long story short...

II you want to upgrade, then perform the upgrade when you are comfortable in doing so. 

My personal view is that this JR Media Center software is good stuff.

So I prefer to upgrade sooner than later.

My understanding is also (and please, someone correct me if I am wrong), that the older versions continue to work, but without (obviously) the features of the newer versions.
=========
Vinyl: Shure V15VxMR, Shure VN5MR stylus, VPI Scout turntable
Shellac: Shure M91, Shure N75-3 stylus,  Dual 1218 turntable

Apt Holman preamp (updated), Benchmark Media ADC-1, Benchmark Media DAC-1, Carver TFM-45 power amp (updated), Original Acoustic Research AR-9 speakers (LF surrounds replaced), Sennheiser HD590 headphones

antenna

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2023, 08:53:07 pm »

I think we need an explanation from JRiver then. 7 days left before the offer expires and does this mean we have to wait 5-6 months before MC 31 is released?

Why is an explanation needed?

Buy early, get an offer.
=========

Apt Holman preamp (updated), Benchmark Media ADC-1, Benchmark Media DAC-1, Carver TFM-45 power amp (updated), Original Acoustic Research AR-9 speakers (LF surrounds replaced), Sennheiser HD590 headphones

thecaretaker1

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2023, 09:39:11 pm »

OK, I love MC so purchased an upgrade key and all seems to be correct.

It's just that in previous years, JimH had posted about the offer on the forum, but the link on the home page was still for MC 30. I couldn't find anything about MC 31 coming soon anywhere on the forum. I wanted to check before clicking on any links in an email. Please don't blame me for being cautious.  ::)

antenna

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2023, 10:10:58 pm »

in previous years

I've been upgrading here for a while.

A blast from 2004 for me...

Media Center10-[redacted].mjr

I have never had any issue with the upgrade process.

...Please don't blame me for being cautious....

Oh, no blame here.  In fact I appreciate the level of caution you show for incoming emails.

Indeed, thanks for this conversation.

=========

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Is This Email Legitimate?
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2023, 12:45:43 am »

It's not a scam.  It's our email.

Every year, it seems that there is less trust in the world, and it's probably for good reason.  Trust is really old-fashioned now.

Peter M

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2023, 12:51:24 am »

Very happy to upgrade and support this great product, but geez I'd love for you to improve the video chapter navigation via OSD in Theater View. :)

Cheers,

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2023, 01:06:05 am »

... does this mean we have to wait 5-6 months before MC 31 is released?
Expect to see early builds in a few weeks.

juanpmar

Re: Is This Email Legitimate? [Yes, it is]
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2023, 05:57:42 am »

Once the advance payment policy for a new version is accepted, what I would really like to know is what are the important changes from the current version. I couldn't find anything about it. I have only been able to read generalities that the current version will improve. I understand that if they are asking you for a payment they should at least specify what the improvements will be

Kev Edwards

Re: Is This Email Legitimate? [Yes, it is]
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2023, 02:05:51 pm »

Ive paid my $19.98 on top of the $59.98 i paid back in December 2022 MC31 Better Be Worth It.

I must admit it simply has to be the best software for Hi-Res audio playback, at least i think so.
Pages: [1]   Go Up