INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: File type associations Windows 11  (Read 298 times)

wisedan

• Recent member
File type associations Windows 11
« on: April 23, 2023, 02:55:51 pm »

Forgive me if this has been asked before. I did look...

I just upgrade installed MC 30 from MC 28 on a Windows 11 laptop. I specified to associate all audio and video files with MC. However, when I double click on an mp3 file, it opens a MC 28. I checked the associations again in MC 30, and all the boxes are checked. In Control Panel/apps/default apps, the file types remain associated to MC 28. Is there a quick way to rectify this, without going through the list and associating each suffix?

HPBEME

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Hoisted by his own petard - Lock him up!
Re: File type associations Windows 11
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2023, 04:47:10 pm »

If you uninstall MC28 that should do the trick ;D .  Assuming you don't want to do that…

Open MC28 and uncheck all the file associations options for that MC version. And yes, there is a quick way to assign/unassign multiple file associations (within MC) in a single click:
  • select the first item in the MC file types list you want to de-associate
  • scroll to the last file extension you want to de-associate
  • hold down the shift key and click on the desired last item
  • all extensions in between the first and last items will now be highlighted
  • now when you un-tick the checkbox, it will disassociate them all
Presumably, this will force MC30 to open going forward instead of MC28 - Though I'm not positive, so you will just have to try and see what happens.  I don't currently have an older version installed myself so I cannot check directly.  That said, I have been using MC for a long time and at various points have had both new and previous versions installed simultaneously, and I don't recall this ever happening to me.
Pages: [1]   Go Up