INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: jriver not loading image files correctly?  (Read 458 times)

wvdb

• Recent member
jriver not loading image files correctly?
« on: April 25, 2023, 08:20:46 am »

referring to an older post: https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=123959.0

I am storing my albums as an image-file, with the corresponding cue file in the same folder. When playing via UPnP, jriver plays them smoothly. But when playing to an USB-DAC (any DAC: tried with rme, iFi, Ayre, Pioneer) it seems that jriver does not load the files correctly: the second track on any album starts, stops after a second or so, and restarts the second track. Splitting the album into seperate tracks seems to be the only cure, but no option for 2000+ albums.

With other words: the problem mentioned in the older topic seems to persist. Till now I help myself by double-clicking on an album TWICE - with other words: giving jriver the opportunity to first load the file, and only then start the playback... but it's kind of irksome! With each new release I hope that it will be finally be solved (foobar does not show this behaviour, it should be possible), but until now I neither found a more acceptable workaround nor a fix. I hope that the developers can have a look into this... to me it feels like a bug rather than an unavoidable inconvenience, but maybe I am missing something?

wvdb

• Recent member
Re: jriver not loading image files correctly?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2023, 06:28:03 pm »

interesting.

when I open foobar2000 (foo_upnp.fb2k-component intalled) simultaneously, and set the usb DAC as the output device over there,
then the 'foobar2000 renderer' appears in MC and when I click on that one (as a...how do you call it... zone?) in Playing Now, then the obnoxious behavior seems to disappear.

workaroud 🤔?

no one else stumbled over this problem 🤔🤔?

(i. e. playing cue/bin files (like they're called I think) to an usb DAC without the second track stopping and then resuming after a second or so)

wvdb

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2023, 06:41:50 pm »

P.S. could it be that it's connected somehow with the fact that unchecking the 'start playing when files added to Playing Now' option never prevented files from starting to play when added to Playing Now? It's like the direct way (playing per usb rather than per UPnP) just doesn't allow image files to load correctly. weird that when you 'double-click' 'twice', everything is fine.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2023, 01:27:00 am »

referring to an older post: https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=123959.0

I am storing my albums as an image-file, with the corresponding cue file in the same folder.
Please be more specific about "image-file".

You could probably convert the CUE files to FLAC or something else all at once.

wvdb

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2023, 02:56:00 am »

Thanks for the reply, I know what you mean!
But they ARE all flac files and look like in the screenshot. Two audio files with the same filename - the smaller one is the cue file and the larger one is the accompanying 'image' file. Used foobar before I found out about the amazing library-options that JRiver has.
Most albums I've ripped with CUETools/CUERipper from the physical cd. There you have the choice to save the album - splitted in seperate tracks, or as an image file, like in the other screenshot.
Mostly classical albums - this way preserves the album exactly like it was pressed. (You even have a 'repair' option for damaged disks!)
You CAN change this afterwards (tracks instead of image) with CUETools - this makes the problem with the playback disappear - but there is no way to 'batch-convert' all the albums, sadly.

Anyway what I found out as an amateur, is that as soon as you interfere (pause, forward, whatever) with the playback, the problem that the user in the older post already noticed does not occur anymore. And 'quickly loading the album again during the silence before the playback starts' also makes JRiver playing the rest smoothly, but that's unsatisfying.  For now I'm quite happy with letting foobar run in the background and using the renderer as the output device! Just curious about the 'root' of the problem!

(Edited because of some ugly typos - not a native speaker 😊...)
the screenshots are in the attachment

wvdb

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2023, 11:12:53 am »

JRiver & foobar2000 - apparently stuck with each other for the unhappy few that store their albums the proper way
and feel sad about having to explain, to everyday music listeners around, how to playback albums the intuitive, old-fashioned way:
choose a compilation by scrolling through a well-ordered library that shows the 'familiar' album covers, then pick either the streamer that has the speakers attached or the USB DAC that has the headphones connected. 

Anyway now people know that foobar, with all its plugins, can serve as a plugin for others, too.

wvdb

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2023, 11:29:45 am »

P.S. equally indispensable (just in case there's anyone else that has this concept of picking a book, lp, or, if you wish, a cd from the shelf by having a quick glance over the spines on the shelves, take it out of the row, find a seat and read/listen):

one of those delicious mice that have the flywheel-type scroll wheel :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up