INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: rebuild thumbnails after extensive library changes?  (Read 212 times)

comox

• Galactic Citizen
rebuild thumbnails after extensive library changes?
« on: May 02, 2023, 10:38:10 am »

A little while ago I asked if anyone knew whether it was a good practice to rebuild thumbnails after making extensive adds/deletions/replacements to a large library.

No one knew the answer.

Here are the results of an experiment I did.

First I ran "Build missing thumbnails" to ensure none were missing. I also confirmed Thumbnail exit behavior set to erase orphans. Total size of thumbnail folder: 8.07GB

Then I deleted the thumbnail folder and rebuilt it from scratch. Total size of thumbnail folder: 7.05GB

It seems that 1 GB (15%) of detritus built up over time.

HPBEME

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Hoisted by his own petard - Lock him up!
Re: rebuild thumbnails after extensive library changes?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2023, 09:08:59 am »

Thanks for sharing those results Comox - that provides some interesting insight. 
  • How do you store your Cover art: all in one folder, or next to the music files using the folder.jpg approach?
  • Do you know exactly what the thumbnail folder "detritus" was composed of?
I personally store my Cover art in a single folder, so the thumbnail filename becomes the artist + album name. Since I am always looking for the best album art possible, I am always updating albums with better/higher resolutions (which updates the thumbnails as well).  However, in between the time the original Cover art was created/saved and new Cover art being applied, I may have changed an artist or album name due to an error.  This results in the old lower resolution album art with the old name remaining in the cover art folder.  I assume the thumbnails associated with the older/obsolete cover art also gets left behind in the thumbnail folder, i.e., the detritus.  Just wondering if you can confirm.

I'm also curious - how long did it take to rebuild a 7gb thumbnail folder from scratch?
Pages: [1]   Go Up