INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dropped frames  (Read 1244 times)

murray

• Citizen of the Universe
Dropped frames
« on: May 12, 2023, 01:45:59 am »

Ive only been using MC31 for a week and during that time havent sat down to watch a whole film as all Ive been doing is testing testing....

Something that concerns me is the huge number of dropped frames on some films. I see them climbing and not sure if these dropped frames are actually visible on the screen, Im about to test this tonight....

Ive used madvr for years and currently with the 3080 video card. Of course I would always have the usual few dropped frames at the start of a film, but there after only one dropped frame per hour bitstreaming for Atmos. I would usually see that one dropped frame but only one an hour wasnt an issue.

In all my tests with MC31 Im watching these dropped frames on the stats, why do we see them climbing all the time? Im using the highest settings on JRVR as Im on the 3080 video card.

The image is a 4K UHD and after just an hour I have all these dropped frames. There never seems to be many repeated frames just dropped.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
Re: Dropped frames Q MC31?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2023, 02:03:18 am »

Check if:
- nvidia control panel --> manage 3D Settings --> Vertical Sync --> On
- nvidia control panel --> manage 3D Settings --> Power Management Mode --> Prefer Maximum Performance
JRiver CEO Elect

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2023, 03:11:13 am »

does hardware decoding (on or off) impact jrvr stats?

why is the input shown as 3840 x 1608 btw? I would have thought the input is 3840x2160 and the output is converted to scope so I wonder what setting causes that?

murray

Re: Dropped frames
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2023, 03:18:59 am »

Check if:
- nvidia control panel --> manage 3D Settings --> Power Management Mode --> Prefer Maximum Performance

Thanks Nathan both those settings werent like that on mine, Ive made the change and lets see if things improve, thank you.

murray

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2023, 03:29:02 am »

Check if:

OMG Nathan since I changed to your settings my rendering which was up to 20ms on some HDR films has dropped all the way down to 3.1ms avg / 3.2ms peak, this is now really really low Ive never seen it like this in a whole week of testing. I wonder why???

I think I had one on adaptive and cant remember what the other was on...

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2023, 03:57:59 am »

Yeah.  If you see a big difference between ave and Max then it is the gpu trying to go into low power mode as the load is not very high.  It can cause dropped frames.
 Changing the preference stops that but then keeps the GPU in a constant high performance mode.
JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2023, 04:01:12 am »

I bet your dropped frames has stopped now!
JRiver CEO Elect

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2023, 04:07:50 am »

why is the input shown as 3840 x 1608 btw? I would have thought the input is 3840x2160 and the output is converted to scope so I wonder what setting causes that?

Its probably a pre-cropped encode. This should always show the physical video size. Any manual cropping would show up only on the "rect" line under input.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

murray

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2023, 04:10:05 am »

I bet your dropped frames has stopped now!
Oh wow you are amazing, everything is really stable now, this thing is just getting better and better for me I cant believe how good it is.
Rendering down into the 3ms is just crazy stuff especially using all the highest settings, I just cant believe what I see here!
Also the geometry correction and the adaptive sharpening numbers were constantly changing up and down, now they are locked in and don’t change.
My stats are looking very nice indeed, more people need to see how good this JRVR is.
My HDR films never ever looked as good as this with madvrs highest settings, I’m dazzled at the colours I have in HDR, its just wonderful.

I never thought after one week I would still be raving but it seems to just get better and better.

Thanks everyone!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2023, 04:26:06 am »

This is like watching Love Story.

murray

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2023, 04:32:19 am »

This is like watching Love Story.
It sure is!
Its not very often that something really good comes along when you think there is nothing left to improve upon in in your home theatre.
Now I dont know what else I really need....
However Im really thrilled to finally let madvr go.
I have to admit that Hendrik has certainly made some magic here, hopefully he doesnt stop :)

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2023, 04:37:55 am »

Naah It's more like Love Boat which makes Jim Cpt Stubing
JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2023, 05:00:29 am »

Now I dont know what else I really need....
I have to admit that Henrick has certainly made some magic here, hopefully he doesnt stop :)

Well think of all that unused GPU power yet to be used!  Time to agitate for something to consume another 10ms or so :)
JRiver CEO Elect

murray

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2023, 05:02:20 am »

Well think of all that unused GPU power yet to be used!  Time to agitate for something to consume another 10ms or so :)
Haha I can think of some things but I dont want to push my luck just yet  ;D

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2023, 05:05:03 am »

One for Hendrik, is this something worth setting as part of the MC install.  I think it can be set on a per app basis.
JRiver CEO Elect

murray

« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2023, 05:59:35 am »

One for Hendrik, is this something worth setting as part of the MC install.  I think it can be set on a per app basis.
If it can be done I think it would be a very good feature to have, not everyone knows this.

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2023, 08:00:22 am »

Seems a bad thing to do automatically to me

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2023, 09:18:28 am »

Maybe enabling VSYNC, but the performance state can have an impact on power consumption and is not needed for all people.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2023, 04:34:52 pm »

Makes sense.  How about if it could be a user selectable option in one of the MC UI pages?  If so, could such an option just be for MC under nvidia the "Program Settings" (I'm not a gamer but I think this is what many games do).  The other potential option would be that such a setting in MC only toggles on "prefer maximum performance" when a video is actually playing instead of MC just running?  This would keep power consumption at "normal" when MC was idle. 

I ask this as:
- It hides some of the "technical" nonsense for general users trying to get stuff to "just work" without having to dig around in gpu driver settings that most have no idea about
- Makes it user selectable and toggleable
- Is MC specific instead of Global
- Fixes the issue that these settings are reverted by some reinstall of the driver

JRiver CEO Elect

murray

« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2023, 04:40:01 pm »

Nathan when I was on madvr I used to get just one dropped frame in an hour when bitstreaming, how many do you get bitstreaming with JRVR in one hour?

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2023, 04:40:34 pm »

About 1 per hour
JRiver CEO Elect

murray

« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2023, 04:42:16 pm »

About 1 per hour
Everything is perfectly stable for me, now so I will test that also. :)

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2023, 04:48:50 pm »

Keep in mind that activities like FFW/REW/Pause/Play and bringing up STD View UI stuff will all disrupt the #'s.  So will things like going between videos in a playlist.  Easy way to test is start playing a movie, bring up the Cntrl+J do a Cntrl+R to reset it to 0 after playback has settled down and then don't touch anything.  Then the only dropped or repeated frames should be due to the audio clock drift on you setup where the video has to resync. 

Of course the other option is decoding the audio where possible with VideoClock on.  No good for ATMOS etc but works great on all traditional "non object" based Audio streams.  I'm hoping that one of the areas that Hendrik has on the list is an expansion of the Custom Bitstream option so that only Atmos (etc) is bitstreamed and the rest decoded.
JRiver CEO Elect

murray

« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2023, 05:19:19 pm »

Keep in mind that activities like FFW/REW/Pause/Play and bringing up STD View UI stuff will all disrupt the #'s.  So will things like going between videos in a playlist.  Easy way to test is start playing a movie, bring up the Cntrl+J do a Cntrl+R to reset it to 0 after playback has settled down and then don't touch anything.  Then the only dropped or repeated frames should be due to the audio clock drift on you setup where the video has to resync. 

Of course the other option is decoding the audio where possible with VideoClock on.  No good for ATMOS etc but works great on all traditional "non object" based Audio streams.  I'm hoping that one of the areas that Hendrik has on the list is an expansion of the Custom Bitstream option so that only Atmos (etc) is bitstreamed and the rest decoded.
Great I will test it that way now, I never knew about Cntrl+R to reset, I've always written down the numbers after using Cntrl+J.

lello

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2023, 08:19:44 am »

Check if:

Thanks jmone, it has greatly improved the vision, everything is more fluid

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2023, 03:49:14 am »

Glad it worked!
JRiver CEO Elect

flac.rules

« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2023, 07:11:30 am »

Check if:

Can i ask why Vsync should be on here?

Hoi

• Recent member
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2023, 05:38:44 am »

Check if:

This was was very helpful and dropped my rendering times to 1.2ms.  I have a 4090 GPU and AMD 5800X3D CPU, should I enable hardware accelerate video decoding?  Also, since I'm bitstreaming audio, VideoClock should not be enabled, correct?
Pages: [1]   Go Up