INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tagging Collaborations as multiple Album Artists  (Read 390 times)

keephowlin

• Recent member
Tagging Collaborations as multiple Album Artists
« on: May 06, 2023, 10:49:36 am »

Hello,

I have some albums that are collaborations between a couple of artists.  I use Album Artist pretty much exclusively in all my views and playlist rules.  I would like the collab album to show up under each of the artist's view.  For example, I have the Rendezvous album by Jacky Terrasson and Cassandra Wilson.  I would like it to show up under each of those artists rather than a separate artist called "Jacky Terrasson; Cassandra Wilson".  Unfortunately, when I tagged the Album Artist using the semicolon delimiter, I get the separate artist entry as described above.  Is there a solution for this?

Thank you,

Rob

jctcom

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Rush - Styx - Yes - Porcupine Tree - Staple Food!
Re: Tagging Collaborations as multiple Album Artists
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2023, 03:02:27 pm »

Hello,

I have some albums that are collaborations between a couple of artists.  I use Album Artist pretty much exclusively in all my views and playlist rules.  I would like the collab album to show up under each of the artist's view.  For example, I have the Rendezvous album by Jacky Terrasson and Cassandra Wilson.  I would like it to show up under each of those artists rather than a separate artist called "Jacky Terrasson; Cassandra Wilson".  Unfortunately, when I tagged the Album Artist using the semicolon delimiter, I get the separate artist entry as described above.  Is there a solution for this?

Thank you,

Rob

Not sure if this is what you are looking for and it is different than the way you are currently using JRiver.  I use both the "Artist" and "Album Artist" fields.  Under "Artist" I would enter both artists (Or more if more artists) with a ";" between them. For the "Album Artist" field I want to put something which will always show me the whole album.  In this case I would either enter in "Jacky Terrasson / Cassandra Wilson" or if it was a true compilation with many artists I would use "Various Artists" for the Album Artist.

If the particular song on the album is done by only one of the artists then you can put only that artist in the "Artist" field and looking up the artists will produce only the song(s) they are involved in.

If this doesn't work for you then you might want to create a custom field of your own.  Then you can do whatever you like.  The only caveat with that is that it will likely only be visible / Useable in JRiver MC / JRemote. 

Hope that helps.

Carl.

keephowlin

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2023, 01:44:43 pm »

Thanks for the reply.  I do use both Album Artist and Artist in pretty much the same way you described.  I was just hoping there was some functionality behind the semicolon delimiter that could allow the Album Artist to show under both individual album artists.   In the example I gave earlier, when I'm listening to the Cassandra Wilson catalog, her collab with Jacky won't sort with her name, because his name is listed first.  So I can't just right-click on her name and create a quick queue of all her songs randomly playing.  Although I use custom fields, I haven't thought of a way that it would help out on this.  Anyway, certainly not the end of world, but I was hoping for a more elegant solution.  If anyone else has solved this, please let me know.

Thanks all,

Rob

jctcom

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2023, 06:22:05 pm »

Thanks for the reply.  I do use both Album Artist and Artist in pretty much the same way you described.  I was just hoping there was some functionality behind the semicolon delimiter that could allow the Album Artist to show under both individual album artists.   In the example I gave earlier, when I'm listening to the Cassandra Wilson catalog, her collab with Jacky won't sort with her name, because his name is listed first.  So I can't just right-click on her name and create a quick queue of all her songs randomly playing.  Although I use custom fields, I haven't thought of a way that it would help out on this.  Anyway, certainly not the end of world, but I was hoping for a more elegant solution.  If anyone else has solved this, please let me know.

Thanks all,

Rob

Hi Rob.  Why wouldn't you just use the "Artist" field to select all of Cassandra Wilson Catalogue and build a playlist off of that?  That would give you everything she has done including collaborations etc... Provided you have put her into the Artist field properly separated with a ;?

it is true that it will never truly sort properly on Album Artist.  But I don't really see a way where you could have it sort on both artists at the same time?

Carl.

keephowlin

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2023, 12:20:43 pm »

Hi Rob.  Why wouldn't you just use the "Artist" field to select all of Cassandra Wilson Catalogue and build a playlist off of that?  That would give you everything she has done including collaborations etc... Provided you have put her into the Artist field properly separated with a ;?

it is true that it will never truly sort properly on Album Artist.  But I don't really see a way where you could have it sort on both artists at the same time?

Carl.

It's a good point, Carl, thanks.   I've used MC for so many years and all my views and playlists have been built around Album Artist by habit (because so much other software doesn't work smartly with delimited lists of artists).  It seems silly to say, but maybe I haven't given Artist a fair shot in MC for that use case.  I'll build a view around artist and see if that solves for this specific scenario.  I may need to adjust some of the tagging to properly do the ";", but I don't mind the effort if it brings the desired result. In other words, I'll gladly work hard now so I can be lazy later  ;D

I'll report back afterwards for the benefit of anyone else who struggles with this.

Cheers,
Rob

jctcom

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2023, 12:51:20 pm »

Hi Rob.

Just in case it is helpful to you I have attached a screen shot of my main view that I have been using for years.
Hopefully it will show the full picture.  In this view I have most of the fields I might want to narrow a list down by and can select any 1 or multiples and it will do quite a good job of drilling down to exactly what I am looking for.
As you can see I can select "Album Artist" (3rd Pane from the left) or "Artist" (Second to last pane) or any combination thereof along with a host of other options.  I quite often like to select ".MP3" format for instance to find the thousands of files that I still have to convert to FLAC or other lossless format lol.

It is also set up so that it will include Music Concerts and / or videos (Bonus content from concert discs and / or Enhanced CDs).  So I can go to a particular artist / Album artist and see what concert Blu-Rays or other music related videos I have to play.

Unfortunately I can't seem to find a way to widen the "year" column so that it displays properly without me hovering over it.

Carl

jctcom

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2023, 12:57:34 pm »

Unfortunately I can't seem to find a way to widen the "year" column so that it displays properly without me hovering over it.

Carl
Actually it just came to me and I went into the view and removed "Year".  Saved the View and then went in and "Re-added" it and it now displays properly.

Carl.
Pages: [1]   Go Up