INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Atmos music files  (Read 6497 times)

kritike24

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: Atmos music files
« Reply #50 on: July 14, 2023, 08:53:09 am »

I have bitstream set to hdmi anytime i play an atmos music file it says something went wrong with playback.

the file is m4a with eac3 compression

TheShoe

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #51 on: July 14, 2023, 02:58:30 pm »

Are you certain you can bitstream atmos to your receiver?  Does your audio driver from your video card manufacturer support Atmos?

You may also need to download Atmos For Home Theater from the MS store.  It's been so long since I set this up I am not sure what all was needed at the time....

jctcom

• Rush - Styx - Yes - Porcupine Tree - Staple Food!
« Reply #52 on: July 14, 2023, 03:03:49 pm »

Are you certain you can bitstream atmos to your receiver?  Does your audio driver from your video card manufacturer support Atmos?

You may also need to download Atmos For Home Theater from the MS store.  It's been so long since I set this up I am not sure what all was needed at the time....

You would only need the "Atmos For Home Theater" codec if you are "Not" Bitstreaming the signal to your receiver.  But you are correct in that the receiver has to be capable of decoding the bitstreamed content in order to be able to use the Bitstreaming option.

I don't think the Audio Driver of the card would affect anything if bitstreaming,  and purchasing the "Atmost For Home Theater" codec from microsoft should make the driver work if not bitstreaming.

Carl

kritike24

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #53 on: July 15, 2023, 09:42:19 pm »

my receiver 1 billion percent can and i downloaded the dolby atmos for home theater but that did not work either. this is the pc Intel NUC 11 Pro NUC11TNKV50Z

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #54 on: July 16, 2023, 06:03:39 am »

A receiver specs may say so but not do it.  Or it may do it via only one type of connection.

TheShoe

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #55 on: July 16, 2023, 09:18:05 am »

I have bitstream set to hdmi anytime i play an atmos music file it says something went wrong with playback.

the file is m4a with eac3 compression

can you play video with Atmos audio?  Try an MKV with atmos audio.

I don't use m4a and my Atmos audio is packaged in mka containers and is lossless.

also assuming you are feeding the Intel NUC HDMI directly to the receiver and not into a TV HDMI input and using ARC?

kritike24

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #56 on: July 20, 2023, 08:41:12 am »

the receiver is a denon x4800h can def do it does it with other devices, will try an mkv sometime today, i have the nuc plugged into the receiver directly

kritike24

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #57 on: July 22, 2023, 11:20:14 am »

I figured out the issue, the device that is connected to my receiver is running as a jriver client pulling from the server that is on another device. When trying to play the file that is when i get the error, i tried to download an atmos song and then i played it and it worked. Anyone know how to play atmos files as a client?

zender

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #58 on: July 22, 2023, 01:15:57 pm »

How do you get over the volume issue with Bitstream?
The JRiver volume can't be moved and I need to up my receiver volume to -17db to hear in normal volume

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #59 on: July 22, 2023, 02:17:19 pm »

When you use bitstreaming, the volume is controlled on the receiver.

TheShoe

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #60 on: July 24, 2023, 08:22:43 am »

I figured out the issue, the device that is connected to my receiver is running as a jriver client pulling from the server that is on another device. When trying to play the file that is when i get the error, i tried to download an atmos song and then i played it and it worked. Anyone know how to play atmos files as a client?

I have a MC client connected to an MC server using an access key.  In this case, the library is shared, and that library contain paths to all the files.  so I don't believe it's actually playing from the server, but rather using the library on the server, which the client can then use to source the file being requested (which are all SMB mounted drives).  In my case, all paths in the library use UNC paths, e.g. \\server\some folder\some file.mka

So MC in my case is just a library server to the MC client.  Transcoding is different and there the MC server is truly streaming the file in whatever transcoded format I've configured it for.

-

So if I understand you, playing an atmos file from the client works?  how about playing your m4a file from the client?  does that also work?

kritike24

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #61 on: July 24, 2023, 11:49:47 pm »

correct i have the nuc hooked up to the receiver as a client to the mc server using an access key. On the mc server the smb shares are mounted, on the client hooked up to the receiver there are no mapped drives. If i right click download a .m4a atmos file locally to the nuc hooked up to receiver then play that .m4a it plays and shows dolby atmos. if i don't download it says error with playback or the message i wrote above.

TheShoe

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #62 on: July 25, 2023, 08:23:56 am »

I suspect you are streaming from the server to the client in that case and it's transcoding the file...

On the server, are your files using mounted drive paths, e.g. "Y:\xyz\somefile.m4a" or "\\server\diretory\somefile.m4a" ?

If the latter (a UNC path), then I think your NUC will just attempt to play that file directly using the UNC path vs. looking for a local mapped drive in the formar, which does not exist and will not be auto-mounted by Windows to that path.  In that case, the server will just stream it to the client (if it plays it at all?)

not sure - others more knowledgeable would know, but the fact that it plays fine from the NUC directly leads me to believe you're just streaming/transcoding from the server and you lose Atmos that way.

tzr916

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #63 on: July 25, 2023, 08:31:41 am »

Go to the MC Server: Tools > Options > Media Network > Client Options > Audio/Image/Video Conversion > set them all to Don't Convert / Original.

Do the same on the Client.

Just to be sure, close MC on the Client, close MC + MC Server service on the Server machine. Restart MC + MC Server service on the Server machine, open MC on the Client, test.
JRiverMC v32 •Windows 10 Pro 64bit •Defender Exclusions •ṈŘ 3rd party AV
•ASUS TUF gaming WiFi z590 •Thermaltake Toughpower GX2 600W
•i7-11700k @ 3.6GHz~5GHz •32GB PC4-25600 DDR4
•OS on Crucial P5 Plus M.2 PCIe Gen4 •Tv Recordings on SATA 6TB WD Red Pro
•4 OTA & 6 CableCard SiliconDust Tuners
•nVidia RTX2060 •XBR65Z9D •AVRX3700H •Fluance 7.2.2 [FH]
•SMP1000DSPѫeD A3-300[RSS315HE-22] •SPA300DѫYSTSW215[15-PRX8S4]

JimH

• Administrator