INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: This place....  (Read 442 times)

antenna

• Galactic Citizen
This place....
« on: May 16, 2023, 12:15:29 am »

OK, back in the 1960's I had a reel-to-reel recorder.

One of the things I did  back in the day was record NYC radio stations and send those recordings to soldiers serving in Vietnam.

(long story short, the destination was given in the local newspaper)

WABC (NYC AM radio, 770)  was popular, based upon the feedback I received.  Yeah, I got letters from the soldiers.

They told me that one of their fav songs on the tapes I had sent them was the Animals, "We Got To Get Out Of This Place."

The soldiers were most awesome for me (a teen) back in the day.  The letters I received were great.  So encouraging for me.

Good stuff.
=========
Vinyl: Shure V15VxMR, Shure VN5MR stylus, VPI Scout turntable
Shellac: Shure M91, Shure N75-3 stylus,  Dual 1218 turntable

Apt Holman preamp (updated), Benchmark Media ADC-1, Benchmark Media DAC-1, Carver TFM-45 power amp (updated), Original Acoustic Research AR-9 speakers (LF surrounds replaced), Sennheiser HD590 headphones

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: This place....
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2023, 12:30:00 am »

Nice story.  Thanks.  I used to listen to WABC too from New Jersey in the sixties.

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,121350.msg841164.html#msg841164

antenna

• Galactic Citizen
Re: This place....
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2023, 07:39:45 pm »

If I remember correctly, WABC located their transmitter tower in Lodi, NJ.  A 50,000 watt clear channel station.

In some respects, I feel for the great residents of Lodi, NJ.  When they made toast, there probably was the WABC call-letters emblazoned on to their toast due to the EMF of the area.

=========
Vinyl: Shure V15VxMR, Shure VN5MR stylus, VPI Scout turntable
Shellac: Shure M91, Shure N75-3 stylus,  Dual 1218 turntable

Apt Holman preamp (updated), Benchmark Media ADC-1, Benchmark Media DAC-1, Carver TFM-45 power amp (updated), Original Acoustic Research AR-9 speakers (LF surrounds replaced), Sennheiser HD590 headphones
Pages: [1]   Go Up