INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best Nvidia driver for madVR with hdr passtrough sending metadata to the display  (Read 1123 times)

furgiuele

• Recent member

Hi.
Best Nvidia 3050 driver for movie playback (with madVR and HDR passtrough) is still 442.74?
Many thanks.

newsposter

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe

There is something to consider re the internal performance of newer Nvidia graphics drivers...

For the past year or so (beginning with driver version 5.11), NVIDIA has been working to implement a vastly-improved OpenCL/CLANG JIT compiler internal to the drivers. This was an end-user opt-in post-install configuration choice for “power users” until a more recent release of the driver packages.

There is some (minor) information available on this in the NVIDIA Driver release notes for version 5.11, section 2.5.3.

Beginning with the release of driver pack 5.22.30, the use of the new compiler became standard for Windows and Linux users.

Works well for me in MC. On top of that, in editing software like Davinci Resolve and DxO PhotoLab, I'm seeing processing improvements (rendering, etc) on the order of 25-40% better/faster than with older drivers using the same hardware.

Quick download link for the most current Nvidia drivers (current version as of mid-May is 5.31.61)

https://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

eve

Hi.
Best Nvidia 3050 driver for movie playback (with madVR and HDR passtrough) is still 442.74?
Many thanks.

Are there issues with the newer drivers that are fixed using this driver you mention? I'm on a quite recent one and have very few issues. One thing I've noticed is probably quite specific to my setup. MadVR plays an HDR + DV file (it's weird, I'm starting to become convinced that this is only happening with those, not the remuxes I've made that are HDR only), everything is good. There's still the bug where you sometimes have to relaunch JRiver before you'll get correct colors in a subsequent SDR file. Fine. Frankly, for the most part, I launch / destruct JRiver for 'new' playback anyways.
What's been happening is HDR+DV file plays, then after I fully quit JRiver, and turn off my display. Come back later, pop it on, and go to watch a movie. SDR, totally cool. No problem. When I try a file HDR or HDR+DV (which madVR ignores obviously), the display correctly switches to HDR mode, but MadVR doesn't actually 'render' HDR or something, the image is washed out (like what happens when the OSD draws occasionally when in HDR mode) and cannot be 'fixed' until a reboot. Yes I've tried the windows hotkey to fully reset the video driver. It's not a big deal, I just integrated reboot into some of my automation (the system boots in like 25 sec since it's a very stripped down Windows system designed for just this).

RTX 3090ti and 3060ti are the cards I'm using BTW.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!

I guess you could try JRVR to see if the behavior is the same or not.  It would narrow it down to if the issue is with the driver vs the renderer.  I'm betting it is going to be madVR as I don't see these sort of issues with JRVR.
JRiver CEO Elect

eve

I guess you could try JRVR to see if the behavior is the same or not.  It would narrow it down to if the issue is with the driver vs the renderer.  I'm betting it is going to be madVR as I don't see these sort of issues with JRVR.
100% it's a MadVR issue, no doubt there. The question was, does the Nvidia driver version matter particularly or affect this. Beyond this specific issue, with semi recent (like last few months tops) drivers, MadVR is very stable with my 2 current nvidia cards and particular setup, and I'd definitely tell OP to consider updating (you can roll back if they are problematic).

I use JRVR for presentation on my workstation and gaming system most of the time. MadVR is still what I use for critical viewing.

furgiuele

• Recent member

Thanks for the contributions.
I currently use an RTX 2060 card with 442.74 driver and switching from hdr to sdr works fine.
I don't use the pc for tone mapping because I have the Envy pro that does it downstream.
I have tried all the latest drivers with the 2060 and it always gets stuck in hdr.
I have now ordered two new cards to test if there are improvements, one 3060 V2 OC ed. and one 3050 but I would like to locate a driver with which the hdr jamming does not occur.
If anyone knows, I'd really appreciate a tip.

eve

Thanks for the contributions.
I currently use an RTX 2060 card with 442.74 driver and switching from hdr to sdr works fine.
I don't use the pc for tone mapping because I have the Envy pro that does it downstream.
I have tried all the latest drivers with the 2060 and it always gets stuck in hdr.
I have now ordered two new cards to test if there are improvements, one 3060 V2 OC ed. and one 3050 but I would like to locate a driver with which the hdr jamming does not occur.
If anyone knows, I'd really appreciate a tip.
Yoo, how do you like the Envy? That's sick.

Also thanks for the tip about the driver version, I think on my dedicated renderer machine I'll try swapping to that driver. It only really does MadVR so I'm not hugely concerned about compatibility elsewhere.

Frankly, the 3060ti does all the 'rational' scaling / processing I realistically need. The 3090ti I use in my workstation can ramp up NGU to very high even when quadrupling. The differences are not huge (even viewed close up). One small benefit is that with rational scaling settings, the 3090ti chugs along pretty silently. The system is physically located elsewhere but if that's a concern for you, it might be worth thinking about.

Out of curiousity with the Envy, do you handle scaling on it or at the source PC?

furgiuele

• Recent member

I upscale video resolution (->4k), chroma and luma with madVR on pc.
I use the Envy for all other sources, in the sense that it allows to obtain the improvement of madVR (upscaling, tone mapping, colorimetry calibration, etc.) without going through the pc.
When I use the PC as source, I share the video rendering between PC and Envy and the result is excellent (madVR upscales resolution, chroma and luma, Envy performs tone mapping and calibration).
Now I will try to replace the video card of the pc and I'm trying to identify a driver compatible with the hdr / sdr transition...

eve

I upscale video resolution (->4k), chroma and luma with madVR on pc.
I use the Envy for all other sources, in the sense that it allows to obtain the improvement of madVR (upscaling, tone mapping, colorimetry calibration, etc.) without going through the pc.
When I use the PC as source, I share the video rendering between PC and Envy and the result is excellent (madVR upscales resolution, chroma and luma, Envy performs tone mapping and calibration).
Now I will try to replace the video card of the pc and I'm trying to identify a driver compatible with the hdr / sdr transition...
That makes a ton of sense :) Thanks for explaining how you do things.

I was messing around with my own cobbled together 'Envy' implementation for a while, I *think* I figured out the broad strokes of how they've set it all up. It's very cool to be honest.
Do you happen to know what capture card (or any identifying features on it) is used in the Envy system? Capture cards that *actually* do 7.1 audio are rarer than you'd think.

furgiuele

• Recent member

HI.
I don't know what capture card is used in the Envy and I never opened it to avoid losing the warranty.
I can tell you that it works great, the lag is imperceptible.
I don't know how it goes with the audio signal because in my system it is installed after the preamplifier (Trinnov A16), so it only receives the video signal.
But I think it transfers the audio signal without modification or loss (bit perfect)...
Hopefully someone can point me to a Nvidia driver for the 3 series that goes well with the sdr/hdr transition...

newsposter

• MC Beta Team

Did you, on your own, try any of the most recent Nvidia drivers?

furgiuele

• Recent member

Yes, I've tried almost all of them starting from 522.25 and the problem is always there. But maybe an older driver is fine. The old 442 driver was fine with my RTX 2060. Let's hope there is a similar one for the 30 series...
Pages: [1]   Go Up