INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Switching among Fullscreen, Hairstyle, & Mega  (Read 1272 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Switching among Fullscreen, Hairstyle, & Mega
« on: February 22, 2003, 05:19:58 am »

A couple of builds ago, we changed the way that we switch among screens.  We can still make more changes, so your thoughts would be helpful.

Mega-me is the standard view.

Full screen is the display image (video, TV, visualization) etc.

Hairstyle is the full screen menu designed for use when viewed from a distance, as in on the TV from the couch.

Both ctrl-W and F11 will toggle all 3 views now, no matter where you are.

Double clicking will also do this if you are in Playing Now in the mega view.

If you just want to return from full screen to mega-me, you can hit escape.

When you've had a chance to try these and use them a little, any improvements you can imagine would be welcome.

PhatPhreddy

• Cosmic Comic
Re: Switching among Fullscreen, Hairstyle, & M
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2003, 07:13:58 pm »

How about a command line switch to start in HairStyle (or any other prefered mode I guess) ??

If you want to integrate a TV style mode it would be nice to be able to launch to it directly...
Phreddy@PhatPhreddy.net ICQ# 168975535
HTPC Front ends  

Kurt Young

• Tastes like crab, talks like people.
Re: Switching among Fullscreen, Hairstyle, &am
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2003, 09:11:54 pm »

Just don't forget the fourth mode that's involved here:  windowed mode.  I don't use hairstyle that much, mostly because it's not done yet, ;D.

However, I do go between windowed mode and fullscreen mode a lot.  I mean, a lot.  Recently, I've been ending up in hairstyle and not really knowing how I got there.

I think it has to do with the two buttons in the lower-right when in windowed or full screen.  When in full-screen, I used to push the far right "full screen" button to return to windowed mode... now it takes me to hairstyle, while the left "restore" button next to it takes me to windowed mode.  

I've adapted, and it's not bad; but I would suggest a different button appearance on the "restore" button.  Mostly because if you hit it looks the same in full-screen mode as it does in windowed mode, but it has a different function in each mode.
 mjextman.exe /ipodsync

DocLotus

• Retired and; Loving It!!!
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2003, 06:29:04 am »

I agreee with Kurt Young.

I use the TV in a windowed mode & often want to jump from windowed to full-screen.  However just like Kurt Young, I often end up in Hairstyle which I don't want.  This means I have to double-click on the screen again just to get to where I want to go.

I realize that I can press the ESC key to return to windowed mode but why do this when I used to be able to simply double click. Pressing the ESC key is an extra step for me (my hand is already on the mouse).

I don't use Hairstyle & would like an option to turn it off!
MC... Latest version, 1 Mini PC, w/ Server.
TV... USA, ZIP 77036, Std view, Full screen, Not detached, Silicon Dust Guide, OTA, ATSC 1.
MC Audio... Realtek HD 7.1, MP3 Ext, Basic playback.
MC Control... Key, Mouse w/ G HUB.
Windows... 10 Pro, 64 bit, All MS updates.
Hardware... Beelink AMD GR5 Pro Mini PC, 16GB memory, 3 internal HDD's w/ 4.5 TB storage, 8 TB external storage.
1 SiliconDust HD HomeRun Connect Quatro, 1 SiliconDust HDHomeRun Flex Quatro, Amped Antenna w/ splitter.

Jaguu

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2003, 12:44:58 pm »

I prefer the way it was before. Hairstyle should be an option and not something that you are forced to go through (has Microsoft become your teacher?). Just imagine you want to show a slide show to somebody. Once you are finished and may want to select a new slide show you bump into Hairstyle mode.

Also watching a slide show in Hairstyle mode does not make sense right now. You have an empty screen with the canoe and the slide show running in a small pip window in the lower left corner. I think that  also in Hairstyle mode the slide show should be displayed on the main portion of the screen.

Yesterday I tested for the first time surfing and emailing from the couch watching TV. It is really relaxing, especially if you don't have to type anything. (I think I have to buy a cableless keyboard to answer emails  right away from the couch!)

Unfortunately you cannot control hairstyle mode with the mouse only. I think Hairstyle should support more controls through the mouse (I have a MS Trackball Explorer).

Ordered an IRman from Holland (difficult to get them here in Europe) to test Remote Control.

Wireless control through Pocket PC seems to be a very elegant solution, but a far too expensive fun!

Media Centers, Home Theater and all this other stuff (Tivo, HDTV, HTPC) are hardly known here in Europe (maybe with the exception of UK) - at least not in the way that you have media pc's controlling the whole arena.

There is a huge market here (100 Millions german speaking market (Germany, Austria, Switzerland) and about 60 Millions French). You would probably be an early bird here in Europe with your product, if translated into European main languages).

The imaging still needs some work. What is the use of an artist field there? I feel the same with Nila and others that different media types (audio, images, video, tv) need their individual, customizable presentation layers with different display and view patterns.

Just a few late night random thoughts!

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2003, 02:45:48 pm »

Thanks for the feedback.  We know it isn't perfect, and we will continue to change it.

Mouse control -- we expect to add a "Navigation Pad" that has 4 arrows (North, South, East, and West) and an Enter button.  Maybe this week.

We may be able to make an option that allows you to skip one or more views:

Select which views F11 or Ctrl W will show:
  • Mega Me
  • Full screen
    [ ] Hairstyle

Matt thinks options should not be an option, so I may have to get him a new bowling ball.

DocLotus

• Retired and; Loving It!!!
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2003, 03:10:45 pm »

<< Matt thinks options should not be an option, so I may have to get him a new bowling ball. <<

If options are not optional then what's an option?

Just a thought.
MC... Latest version, 1 Mini PC, w/ Server.
TV... USA, ZIP 77036, Std view, Full screen, Not detached, Silicon Dust Guide, OTA, ATSC 1.
MC Audio... Realtek HD 7.1, MP3 Ext, Basic playback.
MC Control... Key, Mouse w/ G HUB.
Windows... 10 Pro, 64 bit, All MS updates.
Hardware... Beelink AMD GR5 Pro Mini PC, 16GB memory, 3 internal HDD's w/ 4.5 TB storage, 8 TB external storage.
1 SiliconDust HD HomeRun Connect Quatro, 1 SiliconDust HDHomeRun Flex Quatro, Amped Antenna w/ splitter.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2003, 04:36:04 pm »

If options are not optional then what's an option?

Not one.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2003, 01:17:19 pm »

I may have to get him a new bowling ball.

How about a clear ball with a jukebox in it?

And watch out -- I once bowled a 14.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up