INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Playing Digitised Home Video - Baulks at 32k Audio  (Read 238 times)

David Sydney

• Galactic Citizen
Playing Digitised Home Video - Baulks at 32k Audio
« on: May 20, 2023, 03:30:02 am »

I have been on a mission to digitise all of our old home movies before the camera and VCR die from the rubber component disintegration which occurs over time. I have about 1200 files digitised from DV tape from the MiniDV Camera, via firewire into an old PC running a free program 'WinDV' which capture the file. No problems there very few with dropped frames at all. I have left then all straight AVI files capturing the audio and video with standard settings in WinDV and imported all of them into MC library. This process has occurred bit by bit over several years.

I realise later that several of the files when imported into MC library get the attached error. The same file plays fine in bog standard Windows 10 'Films & TV'. After significant time trying to troubleshoot where the problem is it is not a version issue. All the files use standard codec for DV Video and PCM audio. I finally narrowed it down by using adding certain fields one by one into the MC Video Files view (or copy). The error occurs on files played in MC that have recorded audio of 32kHz while the ones recorded in 48kHz play fine without issue. Unfortunately the 32kHz sampled files are the majority. All of the audo streams on the captured video are PCM_S16LE, but vary in sample rate. I believe this was a setting I used in the camera on recording years ago - not the capture. So I cannot change it since the source is digtal already on DV tape. There is no problem with my hardware as suggested by the error - my hardware is detailed in my signature and is only ~ 2.5 years old.

Can anyone shed further light on why this is a problem for MC, given the crappy Win10 app plays them all fine, and what I can do to make them play fine?

Thanks
Dave
------
Linux Manjaro 23 / Windows 10 Pro | i7 14700K Gigabyte Z790 UD AX | JRMark 10253 | Realtek Integrated HDAudio SPDIF | PC Sound - Yamaha TSS-15 5.1 DAC (will be sad when capacitors die!)| Real Sound - DLNA Network to Yamaha RX-V777 Receiver Living Room + Deck | DLNA to Paired Yamaha WiFi WX-010 MusicCast Speakers to Outside Areas

Hendrik

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Playing Digitised Home Video - Baulks at 32k Audio
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2023, 04:03:18 am »

You probably want to setup Output Format in the Audio DSP settings, and resample anything below 44.1k, as audio devices rarely support those.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

David Sydney

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Playing Digitised Home Video - Baulks at 32k Audio
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2023, 07:45:13 pm »

Thanks Hendrik - never done that so I will have to find out how - usually I like listen to audio straight no processing, but probably no need to be as precious on home video audio I suppose...thanks. Bit surprise it didn't just work. I also run the Linux version of MC and it has no problems with this - curious?!

Dave
------
Linux Manjaro 23 / Windows 10 Pro | i7 14700K Gigabyte Z790 UD AX | JRMark 10253 | Realtek Integrated HDAudio SPDIF | PC Sound - Yamaha TSS-15 5.1 DAC (will be sad when capacitors die!)| Real Sound - DLNA Network to Yamaha RX-V777 Receiver Living Room + Deck | DLNA to Paired Yamaha WiFi WX-010 MusicCast Speakers to Outside Areas
Pages: [1]   Go Up