INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Question about replacing current server.  (Read 1709 times)

Reddy Kilowatt

• Recent member
Question about replacing current server.
« on: May 29, 2023, 04:17:26 pm »

My current setup utilizes a commercially purchased music server, along with two Id devices that I use as DLNA renderers.  The server is over 15 years old, and I fear what will happen to my setup when it fails.  I backup the HD regularly, but I'm not 100% confident that restoring the data will get me what I need.  Notably, I make use of custom fields in the server library that are the primary selectors for Smartlists that I use.

So my first dumb question is whether a backup of the song files themselves and the library file is capturing that custom field data?  And if the server failed tomorrow, would a restore of the song files and library to a new server setup get me what I need?

And my second dumb question is about setting up a new server proactively before the current server dies.  If I just use the Rename/Move/Copy function to copy all of the song files and library across my network to a new server will that get me rolling (along with all of the requisite steps to set up the server on my network and to attach the Id devices as renderers)?

If I used a new Id NUC w/ spinning drive as my server, am I likely to be happy with that setup?  Said differently, does it have any limitations as a server that I might notice?

Thanks for the assistance.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Question about replacing current server.
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2023, 10:17:21 pm »

In answer to your second question, yes that will work.

The wiki has a topic called Moving Files.  It explains more.
Pages: [1]   Go Up