INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: End is Near for BD/DVD Drives?  (Read 1799 times)

zoom+slomo

• Junior Woodchuck
End is Near for BD/DVD Drives?
« on: May 29, 2023, 09:25:55 pm »

With Sony's closing of their DADC plant in Terre Haute, IN and Sony BD/DVD distribution chains closing in several European cities, I wasn't too surprised when someone here said that Pioneer and LG are the only brands left who are actually making these drives, says poster # 32 here.
https://www.hometheaterforum.com/community/threads/sony-to-stop-distributing-discs-in-....379410/page-2

Will multiple SSD NAS or servers be the only personal storage device left to us? The one I'd have to build would have to be enormous just to store not even 1/3 of my TV and movie collection. And how much of my time and how many drives would die on me before I even ripped that much to my servers?

No wonder the club.myce.com forum died; there's next to no BD drives to review anymore.

This planned catastrophe will render home video libraries, which millions of collectors have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours amassing, absolutely useless.

syndromeofadown

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: End is Near for BD/DVD Drives?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2023, 06:23:24 pm »

Interesting news about Sony.

On a similar note i have noticed that it is difficult to buy PC cases that support 5.25 drive bays.

I can't imagine that anytime soon it will be an issue to find drives. It is best to stock up in drives just in case though. I think I have 5 4k drives.

Will multiple SSD NAS or servers be the only personal storage device left to us? The one I'd have to build would have to be enormous just to store not even 1/3 of my TV and movie collection. And how much of my time and how many drives would die on me before I even ripped that much to my servers?

You can use 20 TB hardrives and rip from multiple BD drives at the same time. My disc drives last years. 8 I would guess. The real issue is time spent organizing the resulting files. That's why it is best to spread it out over a decade.

eve

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2023, 11:02:13 am »

On a similar note i have noticed that it is difficult to buy PC cases that support 5.25 drive bays.

For 'consumer' cases the only option I really go with is the fractal define series. There's variants without any glass or nonsense. I have a few XL R2s, a 7, a 5, and a Mini. The larger ones have decent 5.25 support.

If you just want to rack mount your stuff, you can pretty easily find something older with a 5.25. You really only need 1 chassis / server to support optical media. Anything else should just be pulling the resulting files off the network.

syndromeofadown

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2023, 05:18:05 pm »

I just discovered eSATA, it's great. My disc drives are now outside of my case connected to an eSATA pci card. I have had bad luck with usb disc drives in the past. Errors ripping and such. Zero issues with the eSATA. It is a bit annoying that I just discovered this. I have had this port on my PC for the last 10 years.

My focus on my new case was hard drives, which are also getting rare in cases these days. Many cases hold 1 to 3 drives. I got the fractal design meshify 2. I think it holds 17. I have it setup to hold 12 drives, but new motherboards also do not have many sata ports, so again with the pci cards to add more sata ports to the internals of the case. I have had zero issues with this as well.
Pages: [1]   Go Up