INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Harsh Sounding High End Audio Playback  (Read 5605 times)

Birchman

• Recent member
Re: Harsh Sounding High End Audio Playback
« Reply #50 on: June 13, 2023, 03:46:58 pm »

Using the latest build, 31.0.21, you can see if Integer mode is successfully entered in the Audio Path.
Updated to 31.0.21.   Not seeing any differences when I click on Audio Path and open Apple MIDI.  I might not be looking in the correct place. Thanks.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #51 on: June 13, 2023, 04:40:26 pm »

is HDMI the only sound connection? Do you use the headphones, and are they plugged in into your Mac? Please remove headphones plug.

I think he meant that you should test without anything else plugged in.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #52 on: June 13, 2023, 05:54:11 pm »

Updated to 31.0.21.   Not seeing any differences when I click on Audio Path and open Apple MIDI.  I might not be looking in the correct place. Thanks.
The difference would be that it would say in the output path:
using core audio integer mode
if it doesn't say integer mode, then either you didn't check that option under MC's audio device settings along with exclusive or the device isn't capable of non-mixable integer mode.
I'm not saying that you have to have integer mode running, just that if you CAN get it running it might be interesting to see if that make any difference in what you hear.

Birchman

• Recent member
« Reply #53 on: June 13, 2023, 10:52:27 pm »

Found the setting and toggled between combinations of integer-on, integer-off, and exclusive a number of times.  No change in the path output, no change in the device midi setting, and no change in the problem.  Also disconnected the device connected to the headphone jack.  No changes.  However, something that I noticed is that with this build the high end amplification/distortion might not be as extreme.  I wish I had been able to graphically image the offending wavelengths before beginning this discussion.  That would have taken a human variable out of the problem. Thanks

AGAWA

• World Citizen
« Reply #54 on: June 14, 2023, 06:20:49 am »

there is also TEAMS driver installed. It is worth uninstalling it completely, reseting audio preferences (deleting the .plist file) and see / hear the result.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #55 on: June 14, 2023, 06:41:50 am »

there is also TEAMS driver installed. It is worth uninstalling it completely, reseting audio preferences (deleting the .plist file) and see / hear the result.
Good find, AGAWA.

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/answers/questions/980631/what-is-teams-audio-driver-installation-package

Birchman

• Recent member
« Reply #56 on: June 14, 2023, 06:52:39 pm »

Easier said than done.  After decades with Windows I am new to MacOS.  I don't remember anything about Teams on my Mac.  Teams had probably automatically installed at some point and then was probably uninstalled by using trash function.  I can not find anyway to remove the driver in the Midi.  The minus button does not seem to be working and have also looked at start up items, etc..    Sort of irritating that I can't delete something that I am not using.  Can not even begin to guess where to find the .plist file. Thanks.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #57 on: June 14, 2023, 06:54:04 pm »

Google is a good way to find solutions like this.

Birchman

• Recent member
« Reply #58 on: June 15, 2023, 01:18:42 am »

I was using Bing.  Google does give better results.  Removed Microsoft Teams driver and played with .plist files.  No change between before and after.  Thanks. Not going to go any further into the machine.  I don't know how to fix it if I break it.  Thanks.  PS I think there is a bug in the new build.  I can no longer choose which output to use while JRiver is playing.  The Mac remains set on whatever output was being used before JRiver starts playing a son.  Not having the problem with any other players.  I'm done with this for awhile.  Thanks everyone. 

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #59 on: June 15, 2023, 06:21:04 am »

Did you reboot?

blgentry

« Reply #60 on: June 15, 2023, 07:55:15 am »

PS I think there is a bug in the new build.  I can no longer choose which output to use while JRiver is playing.  The Mac remains set on whatever output was being used before JRiver starts playing a son.  Not having the problem with any other players.  I'm done with this for awhile.  Thanks everyone.

Switching outputs, using the Mac's Sound switcher in the top menu bar, works with apps that play to Mac Core Audio.  This really isn't how MC was designed to be used.  MC is designed to play to a specific named audio device.  You choose this device in Tools > Options > Audio > Audio Device .

Presumably, you now have a specific device selected in that MC options area.  If want to go back to choosing outputs, on the fly, using the Mac's sound device switcher, then you should change the MC audio device to [Default] (Core Audio).

There's some possibility that this will change the way it sounds.  Since all of the other players that you like the sound of are using Core Audio, maybe this will be a positive change.  It's worth a try.

As with all "major changes" to MC, you'll want to stop and then restart MC once you've changed the setting.

Brian.

AGAWA

• World Citizen
« Reply #61 on: June 15, 2023, 12:47:00 pm »

with digital music it is always the best to have the last device control the volume.
So I set  MC : option - audio - volume - volume mode : Disabled Volume. Exclusive Mode and Integer Mode (my DAC supports this)

Apple Music - volume slider fully open .

Just small remark.

Birchman

• Recent member
« Reply #62 on: June 15, 2023, 05:01:52 pm »

Probably due to the HDMI cable all devices seem to go through core audio. Devices are listed but with (Core Audio) along side.  Does not appear to have direct output to a device.  Turned off exclusive access and the device selection problem seems to have resolved. High end still sounds compressed.  Listening to the new 96/24 release of Steely Dan's Countdown To Ecstasy and had to switch to another player due to what some of us call listener's fatigue.  Highly recommend this release to any Steely Dan fans.   Thanks everyone. 

AGAWA

• World Citizen
« Reply #63 on: June 16, 2023, 04:47:43 am »

In Audio Midi Setup screen I can see two HDMI devices.
Mac has just one HDMI port, how is monitor connected to Mac?

Birchman

• Recent member
« Reply #64 on: June 16, 2023, 04:16:53 pm »

A USB to HDMI adapter. I only use default settings.  My Mac is a new machine.  I doubt that in the time of my ownership that I have done anything to corrupt the machine.  I do not think the problem results from my configuration which is a normal configuration for an M1 Mac. I am no longer willing to spend my time hacking on my machine.  In my mind the problem appears to be that JRiver does not presently seem to be set up to handle all such normal configurations for a Mac.  Hopefully JRiver can figure this out at some later date.  Unless someone else who is familiar with the problem has figured this out I will just wait for later JRiver builds and hope that they have figured it out.  Thanks.

AGAWA

• World Citizen
« Reply #65 on: June 18, 2023, 06:27:07 am »

BTW, Steely Dan's Countdown To Ecstasy is available in 24/192 on AM. Apologies for another remark, I have my monitor connected from Thunderbolt port on M1 Mac to LG Display Port on LG monitor (Thunderbolt  to mini DP cable).  Connecting in such a way would avoid Mac serving two HDMI devices.

Birchman

• Recent member
« Reply #66 on: June 19, 2023, 12:37:06 am »

I went with a 96/24 download of CTE from HD Tracks.  Glad I only paid for the download.  I think the new remaster is interesting  and there is nothing really wrong with it but in the long run will probably always go back to my mid 1980s disc for home use. I think the new master seems a little loud and unbalanced compared to the 1985 disc.  Have to really crank up the volume on the old disc, but nothing wrong with that.  There is some good discussion about the old discs in the Steve Hoffman forum. As to the present problem with JRiver I would be investigate the multiple HDMI outs except that other players on my Mac are not having this playback problem. Thanks for all of your concerned help.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #67 on: June 19, 2023, 08:24:33 am »

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up