INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Syncing to Android  (Read 514 times)

herr_schneider

• Junior Woodchuck
Syncing to Android
« on: June 09, 2023, 04:15:16 pm »

Hello,

this is an issue since ever I own Android phones and MC. On my fairly new Google Pixel 7 - i think this is as Android as it may get - JRiver not keep track of what it has synced. More or less - it resyncs every time anew.
Since I have been once in a while pushing this issue, and got nice confirmations of "synching is broken" or "does not work as expected" etc.

I would like to have MC understand it has already synched, has to, or has, but does not need to update. In my scenario, the synching happens from an MC client (windows) attached to a server (Linux). There were some builds under 29 in which it worked somewhat reliable, but with 30... It would not be such an issue, if it was not about 30 Gig of files, blocking my phone for at least 30 minutes each time I sync.

And yes, my screen stays on, it is not locked and the xml files are written.

Thanks
Marcus

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Syncing to Android
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2023, 04:34:41 pm »

Can you test from the server directly?   

herr_schneider

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2023, 04:59:30 pm »

Unfortunately not - remote room, no clue how to do this on linux. But it seems, this is a timing issue. I have just tried to do the initial synch with a reduced set of files, and then incrementally. So far it looks stable with that approach. Strange.

herr_schneider

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2023, 05:00:52 pm »

And now, just as I write, another bulk finishes, and suddently, most of the files are again back to the queue, although all are fine on the device. But the playlist files (pla) are empty, and not all transferred.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2023, 05:36:08 pm »

So now test just from Windows, with no server involved.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2023, 05:41:25 pm »

On Linux, are you using Library Server to serve files located on the Linux machine?  Or DLNA?  Or is there a NAS involved?

You could also test with a faster connection.

herr_schneider

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2023, 01:15:12 am »

On Linux, are you using Library Server to serve files located on the Linux machine?  Or DLNA?  Or is there a NAS involved?
Library Server for files located on a Linux machine
You could also test with a faster connection.
GB Ethernet, Windows machine with an USB 3 port. What do you mean by faster connection?

The one thing is the instability of the transfer (whatever reason). But the other is the way that the synching is done. Why does MC not keep track of each single file and update state files accordingly, but just at the end of the synch? Overall potentially slower but more stable. With unstable connections only the last transferred file would be deleted. Also, I sometimes wonder why MC considers a file an update candidate even if no changes occured to the synch settings and the original file has not been touched since last transfer.

herr_schneider

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2023, 11:33:25 am »

It seems the Android device is the issue. After much fiddling around, enabling developer options and setting "leave screen active when charging" multiple synch efforts went smoothly. I don't know whether this is an Android limitation, a bug, or whether clients such as Win11 are the issue, but obviously the disconnect while synching is not JRs affair. So I guess this post can be closed. Maybe the setting should make it to the FAQs...
Pages: [1]   Go Up