INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: John Cougar or John Mellencamp?  (Read 641 times)

antenna

• Galactic Citizen
John Cougar or John Mellencamp?
« on: June 10, 2023, 09:14:05 pm »

How should I tag songs?

So far, I have tagged his songs in the spirit of his appellation at the time the songs was released..

So that means his songs from the 70's and early 80's are attributed to John Cougar.

Then there was a period of John Cougar Mellencamp.

Oh.. what to do ... what to do...

=========
Vinyl: Shure V15VxMR, Shure VN5MR stylus, VPI Scout turntable
Shellac: Shure M91, Shure N75-3 stylus,  Dual 1218 turntable

Apt Holman preamp (updated), Benchmark Media ADC-1, Benchmark Media DAC-1, Carver TFM-45 power amp (updated), Original Acoustic Research AR-9 speakers (LF surrounds replaced), Sennheiser HD590 headphones

Dawgincontrol

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • We have met the enemy and he is us.
Re: John Cougar or John Mellencamp?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2023, 09:36:21 pm »

It's a quandary.

I use John Cougar Mellencamp for album artist on all personally.  Then I let the artist be whoever he was at the time. 

Now the sign for Prince is another matter.    ;)

antenna

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2023, 09:48:43 pm »

Now the sign for Prince is another matter.    ;)

Oh, don't get me started. 

Musicians....   :)

But thanks for your viewpoint.

Yeah, I may need to take a look at my Cougar/Mellencamp accumulation of tunes...

thx.

=========

Apt Holman preamp (updated), Benchmark Media ADC-1, Benchmark Media DAC-1, Carver TFM-45 power amp (updated), Original Acoustic Research AR-9 speakers (LF surrounds replaced), Sennheiser HD590 headphones

lepa

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2023, 02:04:02 am »

I use album artist John Mellencamp as he seems to prefer his own name. Artist is then whatever is in the labels

larryrup

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2023, 12:21:46 am »

I use John Cougar Mellencamp. I think one time he might have been Johnny Cougar. I think I know the beneficial usage of album artist but with all the meta data clean ups to be done, I decided to not use another field and another thing to edit. I really even like to keep genras to a minimum, which is a never-ending battle of internal debate.  I keep all Beatles (including solo work) in a Beatles genre.  There are only a few I keep this way and I know Technically a group or artist is not a genre, but it works for me.  I do this for Dylan and The Rolling Stones.  There are a couple of other candidates, but so far I've resisted.  I have a need to "put on the top shelf" (as I use to call it) artists or albums I have just played too much and that need to "go on vacation"  It's easy to isolate them this way.

Larry
Larry
HTPC, , JRiver.  Music Source:Network share drive.  Speakers:B&W P6, AMP:Yaqin 100b, DAC:BiFrost Uber, Headphones:Audeze LCD2, Sens HD600, AT W5000, Headphone Amps:XCAN v8, Woo Fireflies, Original EarMax.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2023, 10:12:09 am »

John Cougar Mellencamp
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

antenna

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2023, 01:10:47 am »

OK, at this point, I am inclined to respect the artist (and any legal agreements the artist may have entered into...)

So, I'll be attributing the Artist according to the artist name associated with the specific album, and not what I may want the artist name to be.

Many thanks for all the comments.  Y'all have caused me to think a lot about his.

Thank-you.

=========

Pages: [1]   Go Up